101 Eurohits that missed here.....80s Edition | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

101 Eurohits that missed here.....80s Edition

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Jun 11, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

Hi All

Just when you thought I couldn't milk the 80s for anything else I've devised this!

This is a chronological list of the 101 hits that made the top 6 on the Europarade but missed the top 10 here.

So what was the "Europarade"?

More recently known as the Euro Hit 40, the Europarade was a chart combining the weekly charts of various European countries into a single countdown. The main raw material for the chart was the top fifteen positions of each major country's weekly singles chart, combined on a points system. Each chart-topper received 15 points, each number two received 14 points, and so on down to each number 15 receiving 1 point. Initially, only six countries were combined into the Europarade - Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Spain and the UK. During 1979, Denmark and Italy were added; during 1980, Austria and Switzerland; and in 1983 Ireland was added.

I've discovered lots of songs doing this- not all of them good but there are some genuine head scratchers in terms of why they weren't bigger UK hits.

As always comments are encouraged even if you dislike the tracks covered.

You can of course cheat and look at the charts yourself but where's the fun in that?!

2. Ooh, time to discover some 80s Eurobops. This should be fun!

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  3. @gezza76 - looking forward to this thread - will justice finally be given to the brilliant "Vamos a la playa" by Righeira I wonder?

And you can never have too many 80's threads - here's some more ideas for you:

Virgin Records (and their offshoots) top 100 biggest selling UK singles of the 1980's - with sales figures would make a very interesting thread

Biggest selling UK singles of the 1980's that never made the UK top 40 - (make it a top 40 countdown)

Biggest selling UK singles from the 1980's that were specifically recorded for a film in the 1980's

Cover versions - the biggest Motown covers of the 80's as well as the biggest "Beatles" covers of the 80's - in both instances they have to be UK charted singles

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  4. I presume this is going to include more than a few Modern Talking hits?

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  5. Oh Brother......Louie you're my heart, you're my soul!

nnnumb likes this.
  6. Great thread ... looking forward to this one!

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  7. MAYBE- THOM PACE

[​IMG]
    UK CHART POSITION: 14
    EUROPEAK: 6 (JAN 80)

Anyone remember the TV show “The Life And Times Of Grizzly Adams”? Well if you don’t (I don’t as I’m too young obviously) then this will be familiar to you as the theme. It was big in Germany as they say topping the charts for 9 weeks almost a year after it was a top 20 hit here.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  8. BAHAMA MAMA/ I’M BORN AGAIN- BONEY M

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 35
    EUROPEAK: 4 (FEB 80)

For a group with 9 straight top 10 singles behind them (including two million sellers) the demise of Boney M was quick when it came, in the UK at least. This was their first single to miss the top 20 entirely and is based apparently on an old Irish folksong “Buachaill Ón Éirne” – regardless European success continued.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Baby Clyde and iheartpoptarts like this.
  9. FLY TOO HIGH- JANIS IAN

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 44
    EUROPEAK: 6 (FEB 80)

Much more famous here for her US #3 hit “At Seventeen”, she teamed up the legend that is Giorgio Moroder for this song which was featured in the film “Foxes”. It became her first international hit making the top in Netherlands and Belgium and registering her a No 6 peak on the Eurochart.

mynextrick and iheartpoptarts like this.
  10. RAP O CLAP O- JOE BATAAN

[​IMG]
    UK CHART POSITION: N/A
    EUROPEAK: 5 (FEB 80)

Bataan was a New Yorker who termed the phrase “Salsoul” and co-founded the label in between making his own brand of Latino dance which had, like almost everything else, morphed into disco by the late 70s. This song fuses disco with hip hop to give Europe one of its first hip hop hits as the decade opened though the much bigger “Rapper’s Delight” was also at No 2 in this period having eclipsed this once again.

11. I'm kind of dying at them getting dressed up all Hawaiian for the Bahamas song. Oops?

12. The level of camp is only going up in the short term I promise!

13. Oh god! Here I thought: "This is going to be fun"...and then the first entry is fucking MAYBE!?!
    I had happily forgotten it like a buried trauma. To say it was big in Germany is an understatement. This dirge was inescapable and it would take me decades to see bearded men in a different light again!

nnnumb likes this.
  14. phoenix123 and Hairycub1969 like this.
  15. I was a big fan of Grizzly Adams!

16. SUN OF JAMAICA- GOOMBAY DANCE BAND

[​IMG]
    UK CHART POSITION: 52
    EUROPEAK: 1 (MAR 80)

Belatedly a No 52 “success” in the UK when re-issued in 1982 as a follow up to “Seven Tears” this song dated back to 1980 when it proved a massive hit on the continent topping charts in 5 countries and the Eurochart for 4 weeks. It is apparently about a man who wants to visit Jamaica after he’s seen “Mutiny On The Bounty”, and when he does he falls in love and vows to return to be with his woman. So now you know.

17. THE BALLAD OF LUCY JORDAN- MARIANNE FAITHFULL

[​IMG]
    UK CHART POSITION: 48
    EUROPEAK: 6 (APR 80)

The mother of all comebacks? After a very high profile start to her career including marriage then separation and an affair with Mick Jagger in the 60s followed by cocaine addiction, homelessness and anorexia in the 70s. Faithfull returned with the critically revered “Broken English” album and this single which was a cover of a song first recorded by Dr Hook, its tale of suburban wife who goes slowly mad is certainly unusual.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  18. Ooh "Lucy Jordan" - for my money, better than anything in the UK Top Ten in April '80...

19. I like this idea.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  20. Me too. I should hazard a guess The Summer of '69 would be pretty high on that list!

Hairycub1969 likes this.