101 Eurohits that missed here.....80s Edition | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

101 Eurohits that missed here.....80s Edition

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Falco was amazing! A true pop-star...something that the German-speaking countries were never really good at, cause they ususally don´t "get" pop.

Filippa likes this.
  2. BRUTTOSOZIALPRODUKT- GRIER STURZFLUG

[​IMG]
    UK CHART POSITION: N/A
    EUROPEAK: 3 (MAY 83)

Can you guess the countries that made this a massive hit? Yes you got it Germany/ Switzerland and Austria all clubbed together once more to make a Eurohit. This is apparently German New Wave according to the internet- it’s catchy enough to be fair.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  3. JULIE- DANIEL

[​IMG]
    EUROPEAK: 3 (JUNE 83)

Time for Eurovision again this time for the Yugoslavia where this placed 12th on the big night. Obviously it must have ticked some boxes (maybe the yodelling) with Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, and Switzerland falling in love with it

4. SI LA VIE EST CADEAU- CORINNE HERMES

[​IMG]
    EUROPEAK: 6 (JUNE 83)

Meanwhile here’s the winner of Eurovision 83 which won for Luxembourg even though Hermes was French. The song was only a hit in a few countries with (unsurprisingly) only France and Belgium sending it top 3 and was embarrassingly outperformed by Daniel when it came to sales, an English version did zilch here.

iheartpoptarts and Peer_Gynt10 like this.
  5. Geier Sturzflug (vulture nosedive) were exactly the point were NDW turned into shit. To be fair, the song (transl.: gross national income) has some very clever, witty lyrics. But the overall sarcastic tone of the song was lost to the masses. It was a parody of the economic resurgence of post-war Germany that was re-emerging in the 80s..."greed is good", if you will.

Peer_Gynt10, gezza76 and Filippa like this.
  6. JULIET- ROBIN GIBB

[​IMG]
    EUROPEAK: 1 (JUNE 83)

With the reputation of the Bee Gees severely dented in the backlash against Disco the group took a break and ran solo careers as well as penning hits for other acts in the early 80s. Robin had by far the biggest solo hit during the period with this track which topped the Europarade thanks to strong sales in Germany, Italy and Switzerland where this made No 1. Brother Maurice is a co-writer.

7. CODO….DUSE IM SAUSESCHRITT- TAUCHEN PROKOPETZ

[​IMG]
    EUROPEAK: 6 (AUG 83)

Two Germans and an Austrian combined to form Tauchen Prokopetz who scored a big summer smash in 83 with this track. Making the top in Germany, Austria, Netherlands, and Belgium this track has something to do with space with “Codo” being the unknown flying object, that’s as much as I’ve got.

8. VAMOS A LA PLAYA- RIGHEIRA

[​IMG]
    UK CHART POSITION: 53
    EUROPEAK: 2 (SEP 83)

A prime slice of Italopop sung in Spanish and aimed squarely at the discos of 1983. Don’t be fooled into thinking it’s a lighthearted tale of a day at the beach however, it’s actually about a nuclear bomb that explodes in the sea! Impressively it made the top 30 in almost every European country but somewhat inexplicably failed in the UK and only missed out on the top spot on the Euro chart thanks to Mike Oldfield’s “Moonlight Shadow”.

9. I LIKE CHOPIN- GAZEBO

[​IMG]
    EUROPEAK: 2 (NOV 83)

Another Italian act who did rather well in 1983 was Gazebo (real name Paul Mazzolini) who released this twice in the UK without getting a hit, but it was very big news in Europe that year making No 1 in Austria, Germany, Spain and Switzerland and top 10 in 4 other countries in the continent. It was co-written and produced by Pierluigi Giombini who was also at the helm of Ryan Paris’s “Dolce Vita” which topped the Europarade but crucially made the UK top 10 as well.

10. The moment I've been waiting for on this thread!!!
    What a song - classic 80's synth poppiness....with subversive 80's song lyrics!

and one of them is now a lovely Italian daddy bear (Woof!)

11. Which one?

12. SHADOW ON THE WALL- MIKE OLDFIELD AND ROGER CHAPMAN

[​IMG]
    EUROPEAK: 4 (DEC 83)

Previous hit “Moonlight Shadow” had spent 9 weeks at No 1 in the Europarade throughout the late summer of 1983 and this was the follow up which missed the UK charts. It featured former “Family” front man Roger Chapman and Knocked Gazebo from No 1…..in Austria, yes you’re right to be amazed.

13. ? (FRAGEZEICHEN)- NENA

[​IMG]
    EUROPEAK: 3 (FEB 84)

We’re still a month away from their UK breakthrough with “99 Red Balloons” but that was already a substantial hit on the continent in 1983 and in Germany at least we were onto album No 2 with this the lead single (and title track). The Germanic triangle (Germany/Austria/ Switzerland) sent the song top 5 (indeed No 1 in Switzerland) making them anything but a one hit wonder as this was their 4th top 3 single in their native country.

English version

iheartpoptarts and Peer_Gynt10 like this.
  14. GUARDIAN ANGEL- MASQUERADE

[​IMG]
    EUROPEAK: 3 (FEB 84)

Austrian No 1 time! Masquerade was actually just one person Drafi Franz Richard Deutscher who had been famous as a singer since the mid 60s in Germany with his hit “Marmor, Stein und Eisen bricht” which sold a million. It was translated to English and was a hit for Peter Fenton (No 46) in the UK but an incident of public indecency sent him into public exile for a while though he continued to write songs for other acts. “Guardian Angel” was a comeback of sorts to the limelight and was top 5 in five countries, a competing version in German by Nino De Angelo was released at the same time which made No 1 in Switzerland and Germany and was knocked off the top in Austria by Masquerade’s version!

iheartpoptarts and DominoDancing like this.
  15. LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD- PAT BENITAR

[​IMG]
    UK CHART POSITION: 17
    EUROPEAK: 3 (MAR 84)

How this failed to become a UK top 10 single (despite being released twice) has always been beyond me to be honest but here we are. A top 5 single in the US, it went top 10 in 4 countries including Ireland whilst topping the Belgian charts and was co-written by the mighty Mike Chapman.

16. Oh. My. God. I didn't even know this existed. I am well acquainted with the unbelievably tacky German Version ("Jenseits von Eden", completely different set of lyrics), which is a mainstay on the kind of trash Spotify playlists we maintain around the office to annoy each other. I actually first came across it because German pop-punk band Die Ärzte covered it a few years later in '86:

The German version is musically basically the same, but the horrible lyrics combined with De Angelo's slimy performance make it even harder to stomach:

Peer_Gynt10 and gezza76 like this.
  17. I secretly really like the Masquerade version even despite myself

#notreallysorry

18. Ah well no reason to be sorry. The melody itself is pretty catchy, Drafi Deutscher already had a string of hits under his belt by that point, so he kinda knew what he was doing in his particular genre.

I have written two posts about Guardian Angel/Jenseits von Eden now. And not lost a single word about Love Is A Battlefield yet. Which is a shame, because that's a total classic that I still regularly listen to.

gezza76 likes this.
  19. For someone who grew up in the German speaking part of Europe, this thread is a real box of treasures. The Italo pop songs, the German New Wave (Neue Deutsche Welle) and the many examples of popjustice served (case in point: 'Love is a Battlefield').

Love Nena to bits to this day. By the way, Geier Sturzflug was the act that prevented 'Let's Dance' from going to no. 1 in Germany.

20. Sometimes I have trouble figuring out which of these pop acts are being serious. I stan Daniel and his inflatable duck.

I'm glad I finally ID'd the Christopher Cross song, and I heart Righeira forever ever since they showed up in PJOPS!

Wait, you guys didn't have 'Love is a Battlefield'?!

Hairycub1969 likes this.