101 Eurohits that missed here.....80s Edition | Page 9 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

101 Eurohits that missed here.....80s Edition

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Laura Branigan's 'Self control' is an immense pop record, one of the best of the 80s!

2. ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK- MURRAY HEAD

[​IMG]
    UK CHART POSITION: 12
    EUROPEAK: 1 (JAN 85)

ABBA’s Benny & Bjorn along with Tim Rice are of course responsible for this track which topped five countries charts in Europe. Indeed the UK was the one major territory where it failed relatively speaking, a legacy of the “uncoolness” of ABBA? It caused some minor controversy in Thailand where it was banned temporarily for creating the wrong impression of the country and being disrespectful to Buddhism, apparently.

3. YOU’RE MY HEART, YOU’RE MY SOUL- MODERN TALKING

[​IMG]
    UK CHART POSITION: 56
    EUROPEAK: 1 (MAR 85)

You’ll be hearing a lot from these guys who could no wrong in the charts in the mid 80s…..until they hit the English Channel anyway. This was the first release from the duo and was a sleeper hit eventually hitting No 1 in Germany, Austria, Belgium, and Switzerland and the top 5 pretty much everywhere else. It was remixed in 1998 when it went top 10 all over again in 8 European countries.

4. I do sometimes wonder if I would actually enjoy some Modern Talking songs if I didn't know they were by Modern Talking. Catchy 80s pop in a minor key usually is exactly my kind of thing.

But then I see a video like the above and am 100% turned off again.

TrendyMüller and Filippa like this.
  5. It doesn´t help that Dieter Bohlen is evil personified.

6. I'm really not sure if I like Frida standing next to Benny and miming to this song. He could have got the feeling that it was quite alright what he had done ... But the song is good! When I remember correctly "I Know Him So Well" was a Nr. 1 song in the UK but nowhere else ...

7. ... and it does not help that Modern Talking released "You're My Heart, You're My Soul" on and on and on (just with different words) ...

TrendyMüller and DominoDancing like this.
  8. Don´t tell me! Tell it to the Modern Talking apologists who will probably crawl out of their Lacoste furnished caves any second now...

nnnumb and Eric Generic like this.
  9. One Night In Bangkok is genius. And so politically incorrect.

10. Did you call? Well, having just crawled out of my Lacoste furnished cave I can only say that MT are, without doubt, one of the greatest groups ever to have existed. Come on! Cheri Cheri Lady, Atlantis Is Calling, You Can Win If You Want, Geronimo's Cadillac, Jet Airliner, In 100 Years, Brother Louie... All solid gold classics.

You're My Heart... is one of the five best singles ever released. Ever. And it's not even the best thing they recorded!

And as for Dieter being evil. If I was turning out gold like that on a seemingly daily basis, I'd probably be a right cunt too.

11. No.

TrendyMüller and Filippa like this.
  12. Your post was cut short so I corrected it for you. You're welcome.

13. I do have a soft spot for the first 7-8 Modern Talking singles. My favourite is probably 'In 100 Years', which they released just before splitting up (for the first, but not the last time). About the image, the less said, the better. And Bohlen is a nasty character, that's true.

nnnumb likes this.
  14. I don't think highly of their 80s songs, but I must admit I like some songs they released after their reunion, onwards, You Are Not Alone, China In Your Eyes and Last Exit to Brooklyn.

15. I have no idea who Modern Talking are, but I thought the song was pretty solid. What did they do?

16. Without giving Any spoilers you'll be hearing more of the music at least in this thread.

17. THIS IS NOT AMERICA- DAVID BOWIE & PAT METHANY GROUP

[​IMG]
    UK CHART POSITION: 14
    EUROPEAK: 3 (APR 85)

Lifted from the soundtrack of the film “The Falcon & The Snowman” and featuring a certain David Bowie this was always going to be a high profile release. Top 3 positions in Norway and Sweden plus a no 1 spot in the Netherlands all helped to make it top 3 overall in Europe.

18. YOU CAN WIN IF YOU WANT- MODERN TALKING

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 70
    EUROPEAK: 3 (JUNE 85)

The second single by Modern Talking did exactly what the first did- go all the way to No 1 in Germany as well as Austria and top 10 in 5 other territories. They had the benefit of writing their own material thus ensuring they would rake in the cash, the UK remained unimpressed.

19. My favourite Modern Talking song!

May I ask why they are so disliked? As the UK didn't bother with them outside of Brother Louie being a surprise summer hit I only got into them fairly recently with a greatest hits and they made some amazing music. Italo disco heaven!

iheartpoptarts and nnnumb like this.
  20. Really though, the post just before the Modern Talking one is one of Bowie's greatest mood pieces. The fall off in musical quality between both posts might be the largest ever in this or similar threads.