2018 PyeongChang Olympics | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 PyeongChang Olympics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Laura Vanderbooben, Dec 6, 2017.

1. If it gets NBC to take its head out of Bradie Tennell's ass, then I'll take it.

2. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

I actually haven’t seen NBC doing too much with Bradie. Whenever she’s been on commentators have basically said consistent technically doesn’t have artistry. Certainly better than in Sochi where they fell into a sexist trap of painting Gracie into adorable girl next door princess and Ashley as cold and aloof.

lushLuck likes this.
  3. It just feels like they'll take just about any opportunity to show her or mention her. I also just really don't think she should be here or be the US champ so maybe I'm just still pressed dddd.

lushLuck and MollieSwift21 like this.
  4. Adam did great tonight, the general consensus on social media was that he deserved better since the person in first literally fell onto the ice... and more than once

Also the interview where he said he wanted a drink and Xanax was great.

lushLuck likes this.
  5. Patrick rotated more difficult jumps, even though he fell. That’s how it works these days.

Kurt Browning, who does commentary for Canada, explained that Adam lowered the difficulty of his program strategically- better to skate clean so the USA beats Italy, he didn’t need a quad to beat Italy, etc. Apparently Adam’s jumps were very different from the ones he gave out to commentators.

6. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Patrick was totally first but I did think Adam deserved to be 2nd as Mikhail component score should have been lower. He did go super safe with the jumps though a lot of he triples were just auto pilot.

I’m happy team Canada took the gold over Russia. Nice for Patrick to get the gold

ohnostalgia likes this.
  7. Does Mikhail usually fall apart like that in competition? I haven’t really paid attention to him, but both of those skates were tragic.

8. Basically my takeaway from the Olympics so far is that I want to eat Gus Kenworthy's ass like a cupcake.

Bangers&Bops, 2014, Remorque and 3 others like this.
  9. Kolyada hasn't skated well all season. He's only landed the quad lutz twice this season (once in each of the short and long, in separate competitions). The long was actually a fairly respectable effort from him. The tech panel could have been a little kinder to him. The opening quad toe attempt was called as a downgraded quad toe when (I thought) it could have been called a triple, which meant that he lost points on the second quad toe.

As for Patrick, yes, he fell, but his technical score even with the quads, and with the 1.00 fall deduction, was only .47 higher than Adam's (87.67 to 86.20). He outscored Adam on the components, which is completely reasonable because he is probably the best blade-to-ice skater of all time and Adam has middling skating skills.

10. Anyone know what performance this is from?
    [​IMG]

Remorque and Floppie like this.
  11. It's his short program from the 2016-17 season. He kept the program for this year, but changed the costume. He'll skate it on Thursday (Friday in Korea, whatever).

Vasilios likes this.
  12. Not me suddenly becoming obsessed with Ladies Figure Skating and watching like milions of clips over last couple of days. Mirai's jump was magnificent.

Also Ashley Wagner is being a bit bitter over Medvedeva's world record on twitter, ddd

lushLuck likes this.
  13. [​IMG]

14. I lowkey subside on Ashley Wagner's saltiness and passive aggression. Relate to me a bit.

15. She's right, though. It's bad that Zagitova's going to win when there is a really good chance that she won't even be around next year. She'll deserve to win based on the rules, and she's not at fault, but the the problems with the scoring system should (need to) be fixed.

16. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Agree with Ashley and @Nunya B. The ways the rules/scoring are set up is a mess. I cant blame the skaters that take advantage of it but it’s hurting the sport.

17. Have the Netherlands won all the long track speed skating medals?

Sprockrooster likes this.
  18. 6 out of 9 so far. 7 if you include the Dutch-born Ted-Jan Bloemen who represents Canada.

Sprockrooster and Empty Shoebox like this.
  19. So is the Slopestyle course in Pyeongchang just REALLY hard or were weather conditions to blame for the Women's Final being a total mess? Of the 26 riders (there were so many because the weather caused them to cancel the qualifying event) I'd be shocked if more than 10 of them got in a clean run.

Its no one's fault, obviously, but its a bummer that one of my favorite events was such a shambles.

20. I'm not mad, just impressed.

Wind was up to something like 60km/h.