2KPOP16: SOTY Rate (THE FINAL: ~*WINNER*~) | Page 46 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2KPOP16: SOTY Rate (THE FINAL: ~*WINNER*~)

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Squashua, Dec 4, 2016.

1. This is my list that I've sent for Squasha (kii) as my top 16 :

First of all , I should say that this isn't actually my top 16.When I sent this list , I didn't know 70% of the artists that I know now. I just wanted to fill my list , that's why it is so messy and there are songs like How's This in it ( that If you ask me now , it is one of the worst of last year) .

Wonder Girls - Why So Lonely ( Top 3 )
    Luna - Free Somebody ( Top 3 )
    Red Velvet - Russian Roulette ( #6 )
    Gfriend - Navirella ( Oh my God , I didn't even know its name correctly , I remember I was in a train and saw this in @Vesperly year-end chart and after one listen I put it in my list ) (#15)
    Blackpink - Playing With Fire ( #16 )
    Tiffany - I Just Wanna Dance ( #24 )
    SeoYuri - Secret ( kii ) ( #29 )
    Twice - Cheer Up ( #33 )
    Taeyeon - Why ( #41 )
    And these ones didn't make it to final :
    Hyuna - How's This ( Mess )
    Jessica - Wonderland
    Hyoyeon - Mystery
    Mirror - Firestar ( Another mess that I thought it is a song called Firestar by a girl group called Mirror . Another cut from @Vesperly list )

Album tracks :

Luna - Galaxy ( #35 )
    Tiffany - Talk ( #47 )
    Taeyeon - Good Thing ( Only received 7 points : 6 points by myself , 1 point by @Salami who I guess didn't know other artists but thanks for not letting me be alone xx)

Squashua likes this.
  2. Come on Luna smash the shit out of them.

Squashua likes this.
  3. I'm so curious to know who gave the lowest score to WG.

Slice of Life, Squashua and Alouder98 like this.
  4. If anyone gave less than a 10 they need to have a word with themselves.

5. Same for Someone Like You. @Mikl C would draaaaaaaaaaaaaag that poor person if it ended up not winning again.

6. Double post but did you have a word with yourself after Secret's elimination ??

Slice of Life, Mikl C and ajmkv like this.
  7. That song is crap. Contender for 0.

8. I gave a 10 to all that's left but I honestly don't think "Why So Lonely" or "Free Somebody" should be this high. So I'm rooting for "Someone Like U" ... THAT should be number 1 anyway.

Squashua and D is for Danger! like this.
    1. Some Like U/Free Somebody
    2. Why So Lonely

Cotton Park likes this.
  9. Feel actually sorry for you. But you should be banned for this. Xoxox

junglefish, ajmkv and Slice of Life like this.
  10. Fuck everyone except Luna. This should prob be in drunk k pop butvluna is the best and the rest is shot

Cotton Park and ajmkv like this.
  11. Ban yourself.

ajmkv, Mikl C and Slice of Life like this.

12. IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD TO THE PODIUM
    BUT THIS IS JUST THE SMALL STEP

[​IMG]

YOUR BRONZE MEDALLIST OF 2016 IS:

3RD

[​IMG]

LUNA - FREE SOMEBODY
    Avg: 9.08

11 - @Salami @Vesperly
    10 - @Squashua @Aries @ThighHighs @McQueer @ryan_riot92 @junglefish @Capitan @Deja-Boo
    6 - @Mikl C @Lego

My Score: 10

Two 11s, consistently in the top 5 throughout voting, no score lower than a couple of sixes -
    how's that for your solo debut after years and years and years of waiting around?

"I FREED SOMEBODYYY myself oops "
    [​IMG]

Honestly i'm probably not the best person to wax lyrically on Luna's career up to now because I hadn't really checked for it up to this point. Heck i'm one of those awful people who only really knew Electric Shock out of f(x)'s songs and wasn't really here for anything else. I'd have only been able to pick out Amber from the lineup (partly because she was the obligatory Bieber-haired rapper) and even now I struggle to spot Luna in the older videos such is the transformation into club diva redhead sexpot.

THEN CAME 4 WALLS
    [​IMG]

Shaman Unnie bless the good sweet people that make up LDN NOISE because their productions are always expensive, current and ducking fireeeeee~ I mean I use 4 Walls much less than SHINee's View but that's understandable when the latter is one of the best male-fronted K-bops of recent years. Regardless I was kinda here for the whole 4 Walls era, their indie cred despite providing all the bangers possible (Papi is a gloriously basic give_the_gays_everything_they_want grind-inducing dancefloor stormer for example) and the sudden wave into more contemporary, actually on-the-button musical trends but still keeping it K-Pop.

ENTER THE POWERPUFF GIRL DRESS
    [​IMG]

From the opening 90's piano house, to Luna's utterly composed first couple of lines, the squelchy underground reverb wiggling through and that vocodered yelp that ushers in THAT elevator dance break you're well aware that you're in for one of the most commanding solo performances of the year. She really did that. The major thing that punched me out with this is how ON-POINT it all was for that point in time in mid-2016. Clubs from here to Seoul would go absolutely wild for this sound, Disclosure were sat at home with their cartoon line-drawn faces wishing they hadn't given Sam Smith another stab at a dance choon and the high street, hipster teen-baiting fashion stores were ALL onboard for probably the only time their playlists have featured a Korean artist. Not that anyone would actually be aware it was Korean i'm sure because...

UNIVERSAL APPEAL
    [​IMG]

I mean young and old, dork, rebel, club kid, sassy unnie or all of the above, it's incredibly hard for this song not to clutch you (and your weave) in its perfectly manicured nails and shake you viciously from left to right, up and down like:

[​IMG]

Don't do karaoke? Oh I assure you this will have your vocal cords going manic like:

[​IMG]

If you were concerned at this point that things were all a bit too western for your K-Pop palette then never fear because there's a trippy as balls video to get you in the mood. Luna kills her dance breaks in the now fabled DHL shirt, the lift as multiple environments was a cool move to counteract the obviously tight budget SM gave her and who doesn't love an animated Volcano explosion innuendo with their morning coffee? Basically it's a-Ha's Take On Me for the raver, drug-induced generation and my word are the colours pretty.

[​IMG]

It's not without its problems though: the backlight from the elevator means Luna looks headless at points during the choreo, the Powerpuff Girls shirt/dress keeps riding up to reveal her black knickers (or maybe that was intentional?) and i'm not sure the pink hued lighting was the best choice when it kinda looks like everyone's sunburned at points. I wonder if that SM budget, as previously mentioned, hampered them in the long run and it's a ruddy shame that Korea didn't take this to heart and make it the long-running #1 it should have been because if there's ever a Luna EP2 will it even reach this production value?

WHO KNOWS WHAT'S BEHIND THE DOOR
    [​IMG]

Either way, this is a bop pure & simple. I salute you Queen of the Moon Rave, I hope you do well in the SM Rate with this song, annyeong unnie. Take your medal, have a victory lap because you deserve it before SM plonk you back in the dungeon.

Those fan-chants though. That Eurovision staging though. Sleigh.

I'd say the Library is now Open but considering that 9.0+ average, you're not in for much shade...

[​IMG]

In fact it's less a case of Free Somebody than Lose Your-Powers-Of-Speech for Ajmkv: "Dat DHL t-shirt/dress tho... "

*QUEEN LOOKS AT TWITTER COMMENTS*
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

QUEEN OF ROBBING DELIVERY MEN REMAINS UNFAZED

SM has a LOT to answer for as far as y'all are concerned. Robinho#1 wants their accountant on the phone stat: "SM should be funding her solo career instead the money is being wasted elsewhere." whereas D is for Danger! takes the blame out to a wider sphere: "Why did you let this flop SK?! Luna can easily hold her own as a soloist. Maybe she's just lacking in personality? I love the Black Box Everybody Everybody ooh oohs at the end of the chorus. Again, another track that never fails to get me to dance." Black Box is legendary and Ryan_Riot is ready to free some more stellar references: "You would think by now, the 90s club sound would get kind of boring because both SHINee and f(x) did it recently … but it doesn’t! You can never go wrong with retro sound now-a-days and THIS is solid pop perfection (SPP). I could really hear this on “E•MO•TION” right next to “I Didn’t Just Come Here To Dance”. The best part is it makes me forget Amber’s solo venture. Definitely one of the best releases of the year!"

THAT AMBER SHADE....
    [​IMG]

Oh in the process of freeing some bodies with this complete banger, GeiPanda's less than stellar review also escaped: "Bop, but not catchy enough to maintain my attention." FOR SHAME SIR. Slice of Stop-Motion Animation interned at Disney don't you know? "I actually didn't find this all that when I first heard it. Maybe because I thought the music video is rather cheap. I mean, what's with the flop animation work??? But I have seen the light and I bop to this now. Still such a rush of a song. I hope Luna gets to go solo again even though this flopped harder than Shaman Unnie's fate."

SHE'S COMING FOR YOU CYST
    [​IMG]

Once again, i'm trying to hold back the manic laughter at ThighHighs' review: "Kiesza rotting. Luna does “Hideaway” only about 10 times better. This is a kpop song that my friends will listen to. The bop of it transcends languages."

KIESZA'S DANCING TRANSCENDS LANGUAGES ahem
    [​IMG]

Coronations usually only come once in a lifetime (unless you live in Westeros) and Deja-Boo is here with the imperial seal: "Queen of Pop". But is just one title enough when you can have them all? McQueer has the full list of honours for the SM Princess: "Queen of stationary elevators. Queen of Powerpuff Girl merch. Queen of LSD inspired cartoons. Honestly??? Queen of dancing. Queen of singing!! Queen of SM!!!! Fucking QUEEN!! Luna deserves to be a huge star I can't believe Korea let her flop. Free Somebody is AMAZING. I was already bald with that first “I know, I know, I know, I know” hook and then that chorus hit? Bye, my bussy is still in recovery. "

HERE'S MCQUEER LIVE FROM SEOUL GENERAL
    WHEN THEY PUT FREE SOMEBODY ON OVER THE TANNOY:

[​IMG]

Two 11s is actually the joint second amount and not managed by many in this race. Let's give them their full space outside the elevator to stan. Salami is up first: "I knew it would be good but I didn't know it would be this good. The production is perfect for her, I could really see this working for f(x) as well. I don't think there's a day since it was released that I haven't listened to it and I'm nowhere near bored of it. Shame Korea thought otherwise but she's my #1!" and Vesperly learns that miracles can happen: "I hope Free Somebody comes up next on shuffle so I can rate it" I thought as I mindlessly matched on Candy Crush. AND IT DID. the magic of Luna. She deserves the world."

TOO LATE - THE WORLD IS ALREADY HER ACID TRIP
    [​IMG]

Robinho#1, McQueer, Deja-Boo and 4 others like this.

13. [​IMG]

THE BATTLE OF K-LEGENDS FOR ULTIMATE SUPREMACY

[​IMG]
    SOMEONE LIKE U
    Dal*Shabet

VS

Wonder Girls
    WHY SO LONELY
    [​IMG]

WHO WILL PREVAIL?

SOON
    [​IMG]

Robinho#1, Capitan, Deja-Boo and 4 others like this.
  14. My top 2 from the very beginning. We did THAT!

15. Ddddddddd I'm gonna scream so loud if Someone Like U ends up at number 2 again. Kii.

Both songs are very deserving though. I'm ready for the finale.

16. I swear if Someone Like U doesn't win ... Then again, the songs I want to win never do so it'll probably be #2.

D is for Danger!, ajmkv and Capitan like this.
  17. Team Wonder Girls. Also, go on Luna!

bimbo, ajmkv and Capitan like this.
  18. Well done everyone. I don't mind which song wins because they're both 11s in my heart.

Capitan and Alouder98 like this.
  19. Did you guys know that JoJo wrote Free Somebody and it was actually for her own album Mad Love, but didn't make the cut. @send photo is proud!

send photo, ajmkv and Salami like this.