90s Top 10 Sales- Week By Week- 1990-1991 | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

90s Top 10 Sales- Week By Week- 1990-1991

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Girls do camp pop far better than boys and I bet Jason wanted to make it as 'masculine' as possible (unlike Big Fun who minced with joy at their 15 minutes).

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  2. Big Fun were the first all gay boy band really weren't they?

I just read that Phil was recently charged for drug offences - apparently selling large amounts of chemsex drugs.

3. ^He'll blame it on the boogie no doubt

4. 14TH APRIL

[​IMG]

So in the end it ended up being quite a tussle, not between Madonna and Jason Donovan as form would suggest (they crossed swords last Easter you may recall) but between Madonna and the outgoing chart topper from Snap!, it ended up being awarded to Madonna who sees “Vogue” become her seventh chart topper placing her 6th on the all time list behind The Beatles, Elvis, Cliff, ABBA and The Rolling Stones, and she also becomes the third act to top the charts in the 80s and 90s. The track sold 65,000 against “The Power”’s 58,000, that 25% sales loss proving fatal.

[​IMG]

Recent US chart topper “Black Velvet” is also on the move 17-3 (44,000) and could yet prove troublesome for Madonna, the song by Canadian Alannah Myles, is a homage to Elvis Presley and was inspired when Myles’s boyfriend was on a coach to Graceland to mark the 10th anniversary of the icon’s death in 1987.

[​IMG]

UB40’s inability to score a big hit with self- written material arguably lead to “Labour Of Love II” at the end of last year and now they score a second top 10 single from it with “Kingston Town” originally written by Kendrick Patrick in 1970. It’s their 13th top 10 hit and as it rises 11-4 (40,000) it alsobecomes their highest peaking single since 1985’s “Don’t Break My Heart” made No 3. The album debuted at No 9 back in December but this week charges 16-8 to reach a new peak though it still has a long way to go to reach the success of the original “Labour Of Love” which went all the way to the top.

[​IMG]

Leading lights, along with The Stone Roses, in the current “Madchester” movement, and after their last single “Madchester Rave On EP” became their first Top 40 hit (peaking at No 19), Happy Mondays have seen considerable adulation in the music press (second only to the Roses), now they finally have a top 10 single to back it up, “Step On”. A take on John Kongos’s 1971’s No 4 hit “He’s Gonna Step On you Again” it’s been remixed by Paul Oakenfold and will be the first release from their third album due at Christmas, the single powers 16-5 (39,000) and could yet be a chart topper given their support.

Two of last week’s top 3 find themselves out of favour with The B-52’s falling 2-6 (34,000) and Candy Flip tumble 3-9 (22,000) along with They Might Be Giants ebbing 6-10 (19,000). Bizz Nizz rise 8-7 (30,000) and the surprise of the week being that Jason Donovan can only move a slot 9-8 (23,000) even with TOTP to help him, could S/A/W’s golden boy be losing his touch?

Finally as a foot note the charts have altered the allowed formats to contribute to chart positions with only 5 formats now being permissible, hence the high number of new entries last week to get around the issue.

Top 10 in pics

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Eric Generic likes this.
  5. The Cure are at 24...

6. Ride at 32...

7. Marillion at 34...

8. Wow Jason LOST sales from 27,000 to 23,000. That must have set alarm bells off at the time!

9. 21ST APRIL

[​IMG]

Sparked by a media frenzy over the start of her world tour opening in Japan last week Madonna mania seems alive and well in the UK with “Vogue” on cruise control this week and is proving a consistent if unspectacular seller registering a further 64,000 copies last week, turning last week’s 7,000 victory into a 15,000 victory over the still rising Alannah Myles who squeezes past a falling Snap! (48,000). That all leaves UB40 out in the cold and holding at No 4 (34,000) with no clear way of it seeing the top 3.

[​IMG]

Number One for 3 weeks Stateside in February “Opposites Attract” transposes its success across the Atlantic as it arrives 17-5 (29,000). Abdul’s career in the US has been stratospheric so far with four No 1 singles in the space of a year, it’s markedly different here where only “Straight Up” has been a top 20 single albeit a No 3 hit, her current features Bruce DeShazer and Marv Gunn as the “wild pair” but the track comes with a memorable semi animated promo featuring MC Skat Kat which is garnering attention, could it go all the way over here?

[​IMG]

Here’s a song with a history, “All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You” is a Robert “Mutt” Lange written track which was originally recorded in 1979 by Dobie Gray with completely different lyrics, it was dusted down by Lange and re-written into its current form with Don Henley in mind but ends up in the hands of Heart who you may recall scored a couple of top 10 singles a few years ago. Their tenth album “Brigade” is due next month and this marks the first single, its somewhat controversial lyrics seem to have not caused as much outrage here as they have in the US and the song rises 11-8 (24,000)

Among those taking surprising downturns this week include The Happy Mondays 5-6 (29,000) and Jason Donovan 8-9 (23,000), also falling are the B-52’s who fall 6-10 (21,000). Better news for Bizz Nizz who hold at No 7 (27,000).

Top 10 in pics

10. Not so lucky third time around for Technotronic at 14...

11. Janet Jackson is at 17...

Hairycub1969, Rooneyboy and 2014 like this.
  12. House of Love at 36...

Auntie Beryl likes this.
  13. Wait Vogue lost sales after its first week at #1?

Weird.

14. It's 12" was released in week 2 when it moved 4-1 so reflects no new formats available in all likelihood

Eric Generic and phoenix123 like this.
  15. Still I might have expected a sales increase when hitting #1 in only its second week (and considering it spent 4 weeks there….). Sales for weeks 3 and 4 will be interesting.

Eric Generic likes this.
  16. The song always made me cringe. I love Heart to bits, but this was an embarrassing release. Thank god it was never recorded by Don Henley (I can hear it being in his style musically, but there's no way he'd have approved the naff lyrical subject matter). Didn't know that the US took offence to it. As you say, there was no comment about it here from anyone (other than perhaps pointing out how naff it was).

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  17. Well I loved it and didn't give a toss if the lyrics seemed naff.

I think she could probably have been singing the phone book though.

18. I'd buy that.

Ann Wilson singing the phone book. Not just the phone book.

Hairycub1969 and phoenix123 like this.
  19. Oh... I thought it was about discovering the chocolate M&M's after falling in love with the peanuts coated M&M's...I was so innocent as a 20 year old back then....