92 Eurohits That Missed Here- 90s Edition | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

92 Eurohits That Missed Here- 90s Edition

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Apr 7, 2018.

1. [​IMG]

Last year, you may recall we counted down 101 Eurohits that missed the UK Top 10 in the 80s. Now we turn our attention to the 1990s and discover the 92 songs that did likewise in the 1990s.

What follows is, in chronological order, a full list of the songs that made the top 7 on the Europarade but missed the UK Top 10.

So what was the "Europarade"?

More recently known as the Euro Hit 40, the Europarade was a chart combining the weekly charts of various European countries into a single countdown. The main raw material for the chart was the top fifteen positions of each major country's weekly singles chart, combined on a points system. Each chart-topper received 15 points, each number two received 14 points, and so on down to each number 15 receiving 1 point. Initially, only six countries were combined into the Europarade - Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Spain and the UK. During 1979, Denmark and Italy were added; during 1980, Austria and Switzerland; and in 1983 Ireland was added.

I've discovered lots of songs doing this- not all of them good but there are some genuine head scratchers in terms of why they weren't bigger UK hits.

As always comments are encouraged even if you dislike the tracks covered.

You can of course cheat and look at the charts yourself but where's the fun in that?!

2014, Rooneyboy, marie_05 and 4 others like this.
  2. This is gonna be good.

berserkboi likes this.
  3. Am I understanding this correctly? You are going to counting down those songs like in a rate?!

berserkboi likes this.
  4. No it will be a chronological exploration of those songs that made the Europarade top 7 but missed the top 10 in the UK.

JakeMagnus and berserkboi like this.
  5. Here's a couple to get us started

SIT AND WAIT- SYDNEY YOUNGBLOOD

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 16
    EUROPEAK: 5 (FEB 90)

Though remembered here chiefly for “If Only I Could” this follow up single peaked at No 2 in Germany, Austria, Belgium, and Sweden in early 1990. It got lost in the rush for the Christmas No 1 in the UK sadly though I’ve always preferred this to his much bigger hit myself.

6. I PROMISED MYSELF- NICK KAMEN

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 50
    EUROPEAK: 3 (MAY 90)

We might have moved on from Nick Kamen in around 1987 but Europe awarded him this mega hit and it’s rather good all told. Making No 1 in both Austria and Sweden it was top 3 in the Europarade simultaneously with former benefactor Madonna whose “Vogue” was naturally sitting at No 1 with Alannah Myles sandwiched between.

7. I love that Nick Kamen song and he's legit gorgeous too.

idratherjack, Filippa and phoenix123 like this.
  8. I had no idea "I Promised Myself" did so badly in the UK. It's still played quite often on German radio stations these days.

Sydney Youngblood partook in this year*s German "I'm A Celebritiy" earlier this year, by the way.

9. The Sydney Youngblood track s one of my favourites from late 1989 and prefer it to pretty much every other track he released here in the UK. I worked in a record store from the mid 80s to mid 90s and I remember the record companies trying really hard to make I Promised Myself a hit here with various special promotions. Once again though it's a great piece of pop.

berserkboi and Filippa like this.
  10. DING DONG- ERSTE ALLEMEINE VERUNSICHERUNG

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: DNC
    EUROPEAK: 7 (JUNE 90)

The name means “First General Uninusurance” and is a play on an advert the group saw on a bus stop in Germany and they had risen to fame in Germany and Austria in the mid 80s. Despite an ever changing line up this became their third Austrian chart topper in mid 1990- it’s all rather German.

11. SE BASRASSE UNA CANZONI- EROS RAMAZZOTTI

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: N/A
    EUROPEAK: 7 (JUNE 90)

There can’t be many bigger European pop stars who have failed entirely to crack the UK market than Ramazzotti, he was already on his 4th album by the time 1990 came around with a string of pan European hits to his name. This track translates as “If A Song’s Enough”

12. POLICY OF TRUTH- DEPECHE MODE

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSTION: 16
    EUROPEAK: 7 (JULY 90)

By way of Trivia he only DP single to peak higher in the US than the UK, it also did much better in Europe going top 10 in Spain, Germany and Italy. It came with a rare KLF remix (just before they broke big) and the remix featured samples from Richard Nixon.

13. They are so, so, so Austrian. Even the insurance they got their name from was in Austria (Italian insurance now Generali, then Erste Allgemeine Versicherung). And I guess the bus stop you've mentioned is in Vienna.

Actually they are social-critical, fighting especially against right wing extremism. They had even some songs with beautiful lyrics. But they got successful with songs which have a very sarcastic but simple humour. Some of them were really funny.

14. "I Promised Myself" was such a huge hit here and I really love that song. I can't understand that this wonderful song was ignored in the UK ...

And "Eros Ramazzotti" is a synonym for love song. His songs were wonderful but somehow always the same. "Se Bastassa Una Canzone" is one of the better ones. My Italian is only good enough to order food in a restaurant, so actually I don't understand a word of what he is saying but it sounds beautiful.

15. UN ESTATE ITALIANA- EDOARDO BENNATO & GIANNA NANNINI

[​IMG]

EUROPEAK: 4 (JULY 90)

Written in English by Tom Whitlock (Berlin’s “Take My Breath Away”) and produced by Giorgio Moroder this was translated into Italian by Bennato and Nannini when it became the official song for that year’s “World Cup” theme. After being performed at the opening ceremony it rushed up the charts making the top 10 in Sweden, Germany, Norway, and No 1 in Italy and Switzerland.

16. An English version- you lucky things

17. VERDAMMT, ICH LIEB DICH- MATTHIAS REIM

[​IMG]

EUROPEAK: 1 (JUL 90)

The only song in 1990 to top the Europarade but not make the top 10 here is this song translated as “Damn I Love You”. It flew to No 1 in Austria (12 wks), Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, Switzerland (13 wks), and of course Germany where it did a Bryan Adams and spent 16 wks at the top, the longest stint since Boney M in 1978.

iheartpoptarts and Empty Shoebox like this.
  18. IT’S ON YOU- MC SAR & THE REAL MCCOY

[​IMG]

UK PEAK POSITION: N/A
    EUROPEAK: 4 (SEP 90)

Long before their UK success this outfit were big on the continent, this was their second single and they recruited not only Patricia Peterson to provide vocals but also a gentleman called Shampro who would do all the promo for the real brains the operation the very shy Olaf "O-Jay" Jeglitza who was the real singer. Like Syndney Youngblood’s “If Only I Could” this song borrows from Raze’s “Break 4 Love” and made the top 10 in 6 European countries including a chart topper in Spain.

19. WORLD IN MY EYES- DEPECHE MODE

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 17
    EUROPEAK: 5 (OCT 90)

The “Violator” period was certainly one of the most successful for the band with everything proving a hit in Europe. The final single plucked from it was this track which made the top 10 in 6 countries with Spain awarding it the runner up spot.

iheartpoptarts and Empty Shoebox like this.
  20. KEEP ON RUNNING- MILLI VANILLI

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    EUROPEAK: 4 (FEB 91)

Who can forgot the “scandal” in the music industry when news broke in November 1990 that Milli Vanilli didn’t sing on their records? Of course as we’ve seen the practice was pretty rife, especially in the dance field, by the late 80s, but this was their last hurrah, released shortly before the story broke it was already climbing the charts becoming a hit in Austria and Germany. I think sales of this and an alternative version by “The Real Milli Vanilli” were combined, the later having an alternative sleeve.