92 Eurohits That Missed Here- 90s Edition | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

92 Eurohits That Missed Here- 90s Edition

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Apr 7, 2018.

1. I'm intrigued at the number of US #1s popping up here. How did One More Try, Good Vibrations and Cream somehow connect with continental Europe but miss the UK?

(I don't especially like any of those songs but I'm surprised that the UK was quite that out of sync with the other major Western music markets.)

2. COLOUR OF LOVE- SNAP!

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 54
    EUROPEAK: 5 (FEB 92)

Taking into account that the first 5 Snap! singles went top 10 here, and that the follow up to this was a 6 week chart topper, it’s rather odd that this Snap! release bombed here and remains their smallest hit ever! 8 other countries sent it top 10 to compensate.

3. DAS BOOT- U96

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 18
    EUROPEAK: 2 (MAR 92)

Ah 1992, the year we turned TV themes into chart singles and often “techno”ed them up! This was of course the theme from the 1981 film of the same name reworked for the rave generation and making No 1 in Austria, Germany, Norway and Switzerland and was only stopped from topping the Euro charts thanks to Mr Big!

4. HUMAN TOUCH- BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 11
    EUROPEAK: 1 (MAR 92)

Another high profile return to the chart and another disappointing chart position in the UK which was rectified on the continent, future American Idol judge Randy Jackson apparently features on bass guitar. Anyway this went to No 1 in Norway and Spain in addition to 5 other top 5 placings which saw it make No 1 in the Europarade too for a fortnight.

5. Another round of random thoughts:
    - Diamonds & Pearls is my favourite Prince era post-Purple Rain. I used to think that his two muses of the era, Robia and Lori Elle, were twins or at least sisters but they weren't related at all. Cream is good but I always prefered Get Off and the titular track.
    - It was a bit suprising me that Misterious Ways missed the UK top 10. Nowadays it's one of the most remembered tracks from Achtung Baby, for instance more than The Fly, methinks.
    - Colour Of Love was one of the first Snap! songs I came across with (I think I've only heard The Power until then). It's a bit of a shame that they aren't that much remembered beyond The Power and Rhythm Is A Dance. At least, Colour Of Love and Exterminate should've been more heralded.
    - I only came across U96 in 1993 with their continental hits Love Sees No Colour and Night In Motion, which I like more than Das Boot. Its mentor Alex C went on to team up with Oscar and Dita Von Teese for the 2009 German Eurovision entry.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    berserkboi and Filippa like this.
  6. I always felt like Something Got Me Started, Mysterious Ways and Cream were big top 10 hits. Radio played the hell out of them, well, in Manchester where I grew up anyway.

7. 'Good Vibrations' is pure euphoria, I don't care what anyone says.

8. It's one of my all time favourite songs! Never knew it was a US #1. Loleatta Holloway's vocals are amazing.

berserkboi and iheartpoptarts like this.
  9. Yes, Good Vibrations is boptatstic, even though nearly all the merit of it goes to Loleatta's parts.

iheartpoptarts and berserkboi like this.
  10. At my sister’s 40th a couple of years ago the DJ played it in a 90s section and I was thrilled to hear it - told my sister how delighted I was and she said she thought it was Black Box all these years!

idratherjack and iheartpoptarts like this.
  11. Understandable!

I would love to hear Good Vibrations in "real life"!

12. Actually, it was 'Life' that followed a 4-year gap. 'Stars' was out 2 and a half and a bit years after 'A New Flame'.

13. PLEASE DON’T GO- DOUBLE YOU

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 41
    EUROPEAK: 4 (MAY 92)

The Italian Duo’s version of KC & The Sunshine’s band “Please Don’t Go” became a huge Euro hit in early 92 but they couldn’t secure the rights to UK distribution which allowed a copycat version by KWS to soar up the charts. So by the time this version was released KWS were in the top 10 and their chance had passed, a payout resulted but probably not as much as would have been if this hit back, still it did go top 3 in 8 countries, topping the charts in three of them.

14. HOW DO YOU DO- ROXETTE

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION; 13
    EUROPEAK: 3 (AUG 92)

Top 2 in 9 Eurocountries tells its own tale as the Roxette hit making machine ran on, their star was however waning in the UK. Only one more new single would make the top flight here but will they be back on this survey?

15. WE ALL NEED LOVE- DOUBLE YOU

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: N/A
    EUROPEAK: 7 (SEP 92)

With “Please Don’t Go” still in the top 10 on the Eurochart come September Double You released the follow up which was another cover, this time of a Domenic Troiano song from 1979. A Top 10 hit in 5 countries followed to prove the outfit weren’t one hit wonders.

Riiiiiiiii and iheartpoptarts like this.
  16. DIE DA- DIE FANTASTISCHEN VIER

[​IMG]

EUROPEAK: 6 (DEC 92)

I know what you’re thinking, you haven’t heard enough German hip hop in this thread right? Well worry no more here you are with this track which only made No 2 in Germany but did go all the way in Switzerland and Austria. Yeah….so enjoy…

Booers likes this.
  17. DUR DUR D’ETRE BEBE- JORDY

[​IMG]

EUROPEAK: 4 (DEC 92)

Rather a famous entry this one- topping the French charts for 15 weeks (a record at the time) and creating the youngest chart topper of all time at just 4 ½ years old in Jordy Lemoine, it certainly was unstoppable. It also topped the charts in Spain, his follow up “Alison” also went to No 1 in France but was a lesser hit over Europe.

berserkboi likes this.
  18. IT WILL MAKE ME CRAZY- FELIX

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 11
    EUROPEAK: 6 (JAN 93)

Whilst “Don’t You Want Me” slayed across Europe in late 1992 the follow up met with a slightly cooler response in the UK where it narrowly missed the top 10 but shot to No 1 in Finland! Another 7 countries placed it in their top 10, but after this Francis Wright (his real name) and his career as chart popstar was over, remixes of his biggest hit aside.

19. I must be the only person in the world who far prefers It Will Make Me Crazy to the ubiquitous Don't You Want Me. It was one of the first dance records I bought on 12".

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  20. I thought Felix was Rollo from from Faithless. Was he not?