Aaliyah | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aaliyah

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by JS18, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Clearly the best thing Timbaland ever did.

2. Re: Aaliyah "We Need A Resolution"

Well yes, it was before he started to get a bit repetitive.

3. Re: Aaliyah "We Need A Resolution"

too right!

4. Re: Aaliyah "We Need A Resolution"

Half of this album was utterly delicious.

Too bad he's a complete twat now.

5. Re: Aaliyah "We Need A Resolution"

I love One in a Million as well. His stuff was better when he was more spare and subtle. A few people say his current success is more down to Danja than Timbaland himself and I can see where they're coming from

6. Charley

Charley Moderator

Re: Aaliyah "We Need A Resolution"

Aaliyah would have celebrated her 31st birthday today...

I can't believe it's been almost 10 years... Such a shame.

7. 3Xs

3Xs

Awww! So sad! All the lost potential! RIP Aaliyah!

8. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Gonna be controversial here, but if she hadn't died tragically (I remember I was sad for days!) she'd be where Brandy, Mya, Monica are today, doing 90s shows, having a Reality TV show and having Japan - only releases. Yes, she was more special than those girls but, when did that help careers?

9. 3Xs

3Xs

True. But it's hard to say though, you can never predict the future. Beyonce easily could have gone the way of Mya and the others. I think Aaliyah was A LOT more special than those women, she was starting to break into Hollywood big time (She was to be in The Matrix, and also Romeo Must Die, etc.) and her music was only getting better and better. She was evolving, which Monica and Brandy and the others never did.

Of course, I could be wrong, but so could you. Nobody knows how it could have turned out.

10. Re: Aaliyah "We Need A Resolution"

Aaliyah was a future star.
    She had stage presence.
    Music wise she didn't follow trends. Which artist would ever release We Need A Resolution as a first single? Crazy choice, but I loved her for it.
    She got the best out of Timbaland, didn't release a new album every bloody year, and got the best out of working with no name producers as well.
    Her music, to me, stands the test of time!

11. 3Xs

3Xs

So agree! Listening to Aaliyah right now, and it sounds just as good and fresh as it did back in 01! Her music is timeless to me. And as you said, she started trends, she didn't follow them.

12. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

I really want to get further into Aaliyah's music (I only have a few singles) but it's like she never existed in record stores over here, it's so hard to find a decently priced album. I'll have to remember to import a hits collection next time I do an Amazon order.

13. 3Xs

3Xs

Deffo get Aaliyah if you can! The best R&B album of the last decade by a country mile! And one of the best overall, I'd place it in my top 3! Just posted about it in the Underrated Albums thread so I wont go on about it but DAMN! It's such an amazing album!

/gushing

Oh, also get into Try Again and One In A Million! Very necessary!

14. 3Xs

3Xs

And one more thing, I've come to the conclusion that Aaliyah did the R&B-Rock thing a million times better than Rihanna! YES I SAID IT! I mean, Rihanna does it just fine and pulls it off, but Aaliyah was just so good at it!

'What If' shits all over Rockstar 101! Don't get me wrong I still love it, but Aaliyah is on a totally different level!

Okay, enough rambling now.

15. Re: Aaliyah "We Need A Resolution"

There's no telling what would have happened. I sometimes think she'd still be working with Timbaland and would've had big success during his 2006/2007 comeback, but then artists who have such a close collaboration with particular producers (Missy and Timbaland, Kelis and the Neptunes for example) never really last, so who knows where she'd be now.

She produced some really fantastic music with Timbaland though and was extremely beautiful.

16. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Her 3 albums are flawless. I was gonna say I love the debut but, no all 3 are amazing.

17. Re: Aaliyah "We Need A Resolution"

I agree to some extent. Had she continued the path she started, she probably would have recorded Brandy's "Afrodisiac" and flopped on her butt just like B-rocka did.

Had she tried out something different it probably would have gotten her good press, but she wasn't a big enough Popstar to have a fanbase outside of the R&B-Urban crowd, and if you stop doing Urban-flavoured music they're gonna ditch you.

R&B is like Metal in a sense that the fanbase is very fickle and immediately stops caring for a certain artist if that artist stops being "true". Aaliyah would have been damned had she continued her well-trodden path and damned had she not.

Rihanna is definitely one of the very few artists ever to be able to break out of the R&B genre and fully cross over into Pop if you ask me. I can't think of any other singer who was able to do that.

18. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

I don't know if Aaliyah would have fallen by the wayside like the others in her 'group' have - she did have something more than the others, it was her sense of musicality. She also did an impeccable job of combining hyper-stylized songs and videos with a real soul, a skill that would definitely come in use today.

19. Re: Aaliyah "We Need A Resolution"

Completely agree. Also, her profile was becoming bigger as she began to take interest in acting. Unlike Beyonce, she chose the right projects to lend her name to and was going to be appear in the Matrix franchise before her tragic death.

20. Re: Aaliyah "We Need A Resolution"

This is possibly Timbaland's greatest production. And the fact that the video compliments the song perfectly makes me like it even more. Its one of the few songs where the rap was necessary beyond radio play.