ACE OF RATE: The Ace Of Base Discography Rate! [RESULTS: THE WINNER REVEALED] | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ACE OF RATE: The Ace Of Base Discography Rate! [RESULTS: THE WINNER REVEALED]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by AcerBenII, Aug 1, 2016.

1. It was their biggest hit in Europe, I believe, and is their most-played song on Spotify by quite some margin (44k vs. 29k for The Sign and 9k for Beautiful Life).

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  2. All That She Wants was massive in the States but The Sign always felt more iconic and "signature" hit to me? I know they only had four big hits here, but The Sign stands head and shoulders above the others in terms of 90's radio play that I recall!

Ray and iheartpoptarts like this.
  3. The Sign was the peak of their popularity.

Ray and iheartpoptarts like this.
  4. All That She Wants was played a lot during my childhood but I'd never heard The Sign until Pitch Perfect.

5. It's interesting... I remember 'The Sign' being so everywhere that I somehow knew it at the time despite having, like, zero awareness of popular music back then. I have no memories of 'All That She Wants', though!

Pitch Perfect and its lack of respect for 'The Sign' always got on my nerves, by the way. It's the most perfect pop song in the entire movie!

VivaForever likes this.
  6. The Sign seems to have been largely forgotten in the UK sadly. ATSW is far more well known and is more likely to get played now.

I think reaching #2 instead of #1 has a massive impact on how much exposure a song gets in the years after its release. Sales-wise, TS was almost as big a hit here - #11 of the year, outselling many #1s in 1994. There's loads of other #2 hits from the 90s (that were genuine hits at the time, not those that got there on fanbase hype) that you'd think would be better remembered than they are.

7. I love this interview

Not that AoB say much in it - I just find Jenny's utter bemusement at Johnny Vaughan and Denise Van Outen hilarious

8. I used to think it was about a girl trying to be a mum for the longest time.

iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  9. I remember when Britney's cover of 'All That She Wants' leaked sometime after she'd had a son or two and I totally thought it was some kind of parody at first before realizing it was real!

10. Ray

Ray

Papa don't preach, I'm in trouble deep
    Papa don't preach, I've been losing sleep
    But I made up my mind, I'm keeping my baby, oh
    ANOTHER baby!!!

11. Well, yes, but somehow I've always heard it the other way with that song.

Madonna's power, etc.

12. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

She sings 'I'm not a baby' right?

13. To be fair, that was a logical conclusion considering how Britters was at the time...

Speaking of All That She Wants covers though!

Queen of synthesizers.

14. I'm never actually figured out who was who when singing. I've looked into it and I'm seeing that Jenny has the higher voice, while Linn hits the lower registers. Am I correct? I love both voices, but I think Jenny has some of my favorite moments. Example: Is that Jenny doing the first verse and chorus combo in Waiting For Magic?

15. I'm assuming everyone at this point knows Don't Turn Around is a Tina Turner original?

16. One down!

The Sign
    - 7.467 - 10 x 2 - 3 x 1

Hint. Only open if you like hints!

My two 10s are both non-singles.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  17. Yes, but it took me forever. It's one of those covers you have no idea about until you randomly Wikipedia the song years and years later... or, it was for me, anyway!

LPMA likes this.
  18. Kii at my commentary for "Young and Proud".

19. Jenny's constant stank face is making my life right now.

I'd like to imagine she was just trying to place Denise van Outen the whole time, and five minutes after leaving the studio thought "Oh, she's the one who killed Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! ..."

AcerBenII likes this.
  20. Ray

Ray

Yes, it was a "joke".

Non-Dutchies will not get this but I love the fact that Joke is a name in NL. There was a sticker on the coffee machine at my old work "Don't switch this off – Joke" and it confused everyone greatly when they started working there.

Sprockrooster and Mvnl like this.