Acne, pimples, skin issues in general | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acne, pimples, skin issues in general

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by spillett, Dec 11, 2015.

1. RhythmNative

RhythmNative Moderator

In descending order of strength and potential to cause irritation, your topical options are...

Salicylic acid (2%)
    Benzoyl Peroxide (5-10%)
    Glycolic acid (out to 10%)
    Retinal (1%)

3 are available (very affordable) in forumalations sold on this website (UK).

https://www.victoriahealth.com/brand/The-Ordinary/1053

Benzoyl peroxide can be purchased behind the counter at Boots or Superdrug (UK).

I don't find the masks that rip them out that effective for the amount of faff.

Some dermatologists would say the only effective removal for large blackheads is extractions - for which you could use a comedone extractor tool.

Kyle. likes this.
  2. I've never seen it on shelves but after a Google it's prescription only in Australia. I'd love to try it just to see whether it works better than my current regime.

The same company sells benzoyl peroxide as Benzac, which is one of the active ingredients in Epiduo. I use it with a normal moisturiser by Cetaphil. You can get both over-the-counter at any pharmacy. I use benzoyl peroxide two or three days out of the week, but moisturise everyday and I've found this keeps my skin in check most of the time. I get the occasional pimple every now and then but generally my skin is clear. I'm thinking about switching back to using it everyday though.

I'd love to find something that will reduce or even clear up the marks I have on my face from acne and having chicken pox in my late teens. They're pretty light and not really noticeable but I notice them and I'd love to get rid of them.

3. My skin's been a fucking nightmare for the past few months and it's doing my head in. Stress, lack of sleep, and work nonsense = acne hell.

spillett likes this.
  4. Ditto.

bestinase likes this.
  5. BML

BML

I was DMing with Azealia Banks for advice about this reoccurring endless nightmare pimple I've had for over a year and she told me to put vagisil on it and not even 24 hours later it's significantly smaller. I'm shook!

6. DMing her about a spot? Random! Ha.

7. Is there a decent acne treatment I can get for around £20 (or less)? I've tried Clearasil, Freederm and Lush Grease Lightning without much luck.

8. Vagisil, apparently.

OspreyQueen and Terminus like this.
  9. Think I'll give that a miss.

spillett likes this.
  10. I still have 24 days before I can see a dermatologist about my acne. The wait is unbearable. I randomly got two cystic like lumps of acne in the middle of my forehead last week and they don't seem to be fading anytime soon. Today I got a cyst on the side of my nose, and I also just shaved so that's irritated all the active acne on my chin and cheeks. Forehead is also wrinkly and entire face is covered in scars. Can't even look in the mirror without feeling awful and I need to go out later. Sigh.

11. You are not alone. I know it doesn't help but just know there are so many suffering too

Leopold likes this.
  12. Anyone ever gotten spots on their scalp?

13. Yeah I do all the damn time and they trigger the worst migraine.

14. So tired of how bad my skin is. Massive blackheads everywhere and spots... they just won't go away.

15. I was DMing Madonna for advice on how to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and she sent me back the GIF of her flashing her tit.

Island, silkandskin and spillett like this.
  16. I've been on accutane for about three or four weeks now and it's cleared up the acne on my back ALOT already (and I hope it'll eventually clear my back completely) but my face is a mess. I haven't had a breakout yet but my face is bright red and is constantly peeling, plus my nose has got cuts all over it because it's so dry and I've been rubbing the dead skin off it. My lips are driving me insane too and am constantly having to apply vaseline, which is a pain.

I really hope my face clears up with it because so far it hasn't been an easy journey.

17. Accutane is an... interesting time.
    It helped to clear up my skin a lot but after about 6 months I started getting pimples again (although not as bad).
    I think a lot of my issue was diet though - I was consuming so much fruit every day to try and have clear skin I wasn't aware of how much sugar that was and I think was part of my problem.

I'm actually stripping everything away now and deciding to just wash my face and neck with water. No cleansers and no moisturizer. Lots of people have had success stories with this and I guess it makes sense as 99% of things on the market for acne/bad skin are just full of crap our skin doesn't want/need.

I've recently tried the oil cleansing method but I don't think it suited my skin type.

18. Always wary of recommending these types of things because they're so subjective, but I've recently been experimenting with epsom salts – I've been dissolving a teaspoon full in warm water and applying it to my face to leave on for half an hour every night, washing with cold water afterwards, and it's really cleared things up. I read it in passing on a forum somewhere and thought I'd give it a go.

19. Really interested to know what foods/snacks people eat to help keep their skin clear?

20. I try and drink a fuckload of water and eat at least some form of fruit and veg a day. The link between diet and skin seems to be so subjective and variable-filled that I gave up trying to work it out years ago.