Acne, pimples, skin issues in general | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acne, pimples, skin issues in general

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by spillett, Dec 11, 2015.

1. I used to drink a TON of water every day for years. You had no idea how much of it I drank. It made absolutely no difference to my skin whatsoever.

Seger likes this.
  2. Anyone use or have used Liz Earle (for men) products? They have a cleanser and a moistursier that seem to have rave reviews all over when I search online... I'm in need of a good moisturiser at the minute. I spent about 2 months washing only with water and not moisturising. I had some positive results but my skin is just too sensitive and dry to go without a moisturiser.

3. No one?

4. Accutane really seems frightening to me. I've always had terrible skin, but antibiotics helped me keep it under control for a good few years. Earlier this year, however, I realised that I had become immune to the antibiotics as the acne returned in full force, it was horrendous. I decided to return to the dermatologist, who told me that Accutane was the only remaining way to save my skin because my skin issues were too severe for lighter stuff. The side effects shocked me to the core, especially the compulsory pregnancy tests and the contract they told me to sign. I don't think I'll ever be a mum, but just in case I end up changing my mind the risk that some of the Accutane might linger and would definitely cause damage to the child freaks me out (and this is without even touching upon all of the other possible side effects).
    I decided against it and told the dermatologist I wasn't up for it, which he didn't agree with (but hey, whatever). Then I decided to try benzoylperoxide as a last ditch effort, despite the fact that my previous dermatologist told me there was no point because I really needed "heavier, more aggressive stuff". Guess what? It has done wonders for my skin and I can't believe it. I'll accept that my skin will never look perfect, but I'm almost back to normal now. To think that I nearly went through all of that Accutane crap when there really was no need!

ohnostalgia, Utopia and Vasilios like this.
  5. Benzoyl peroxide can be really useful it's just a pain that it bleaches everything. What else are you using to clear up your skin @marie_05 ?

The side effects I suffered from accutane included back pain, bleeding gums, nose bleeds, extremely dry lips (I peeled the whole of my bottom lip off once) headaches, nausea... It was tough.

6. I'm so cross that you can no longer buy benzoyl peroxide 10% anywhere any more. I used to have the Quinoderm stuff it was superb. Boots do this 5% stuff from Acnecide which is awful and does nothing. I can smell some other ingredient in it like a moisturising something. It's almost coconut like. It does not work.

My nose is being very angry at the moment and it's getting me down a bit. It's bright red, very painful spots under the surface.

I've bought some Freederm gel with nicotinamide in it. I don't think I've tried it before but there doesn't seem much else to try at the moment. Boots had this Dermalex acne treatment cream behind the counter for £19/30g. I couldn't work out what the active ingredient in it was other than some stupid jargon they've created to make it sound fancy and because it was so expensive I decided against it.

7. Funnily enough I got some the other day and, like you mentioned, it smelt really fragrant, like there was something else in it. I used it a few times but it didn't seem to help so I threw it away.

You can actually buy benzoyl peroxide on eBay.

8. I also use Differin. It was useful for years, but I've considered giving up on it because I'm not sure if it still has any effect.

9. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Moderator

Accutane cleared up my acne completely but also I think is to blame for some of my extreme mood swings and tendencies towards being a bit depressive at times, I regret going on it and kind of got pushed into it by my mum without really having the free will to make my own choices as I was a teenager.

mattyjayy likes this.
  10. I had a great experience with Accutane. I did two cycles on it a year apart and my skin has been fantastic ever since. I never had mood issues but I understand everyone reacts different. My dermatologist was very hesitant to put me on it and the monthly monitoring was a pain in the ass but for me it was absolutely worth it. While you're on it though your skin becomes paper. In the summer you burn, in the winter you burn, there's no good time to do the 5 month cycle.

Solenciennes likes this.
  11. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Moderator

Yeah it was a pretty horrific experience at the time and also a little bit frightening how quickly the side effects begin but I guess on the bright side I was pretty much a walking stereotype of the awkward teenager (glasses, braces, a little overweight, gay...) so being on acne medication for half a year was a drop in the ocean really.

12. @spillett

This one?

http://uk.lizearle.com/liz-earle-fo...HdBmT3CmWfCSPqAqheEaAsIxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I got gifted it last Christmas and I was dubious as I'm so meticulous with my skincare regime but this really was a gem! I'm so loyal to the stuff I always use I think I only used this for about a week before reverting back to my usual but it's great stuff. I prefer gel cleansers that are a bit 'harsher' because my skin can take it, and this one is like a creamy almost foamy texture if I remember correctly which is really gentle on the skin. When used with the hot cloth it leaves your skin feeling really pampered like you've had a facial. I must dig it out and give it another ago.

13. That's the one.

I actually used it for about 2 weeks but I didn't feel my skin improved and I noticed a few breakouts. My skin is very particular.

I'm still trying to find the 'right' thing for it. So damn annoying at 34 to still be struggling with breakouts and blemishes all the time.

14. My skin cleared up with accutane and my acne was pretty much gone so I finally started moisturising for the first time in my life and two weeks later I'm now covered in pimples and my skin is worse than ever. I'm so pissed off.

15. What did you use to moisturise?

16. L'oreal Men Expert Vita Lift. I had no idea what to buy so just picked anything at random. I'm a bit clueless as I've never actually used moisturiser before for fear of breakouts and it looks like my fears were justified.

17. Well, you have to opt for something that's going to be non-comedogenic (doesn't clog pores) and preferably doesn't have a million and one ingredients.

Avene do a good range: http://www.boots.com/avene/avene-blemish-prone-skin

RaleighFan likes this.
  18. Thanks very much mate.

spillett likes this.
  19. I really want to try that Neutrogena light mask but it's so expensive.