Acts only YOU remember or like... | Page 68 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acts only YOU remember or like...

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by anfunny2003, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Uno

Uno

I doubt I'm the only one to remember this, but I didn't know where else to post this. WOW what a song.

Rooneyboy and idratherjack like this.
  2. Quite literally, a HiNRG classic!

This was just on TOTP 1984 the other day and sounds as good as ever.

Eric Generic likes this.
  3. Yes, and discussed in some detail in the Story Of 1984 doc as well, cf. its similarity to Relax.

idratherjack likes this.
  4. It's Relax done right!

*ducks for cover*

ohnoitisnathan, Uno and Eric Generic like this.
  5. Don't do it.

idratherjack likes this.
  6. What's The Point? How about a '90s flop pop duo (Sybil Syn and Chris Little)! Think The Divinyls meets Moloko via Stakka Bo maybe? They are a bit bonkers. Their one and only album, 1993's Fingernoid Slink, isn't too bad. It features the (sort of) singles (ie. label issues meant they both never got past promo pressings), Hey Jane (a psychedelic, woozy 60s-tinged pop song) and Dance Is The Nu Sex (rampant, Eurohouse club banger). There are a few recognisable names in the credits too; George Martin (The Beatles, who plays the guitar on Hey Jane), Mark Maguire (S'Express, Baby Ford), Mike "Spike" Drake (Pet Shop Boys, New Order, Electronic and a squillion others) and Ian Grimble (Saint Etienne, Dannii Minogue). Proof that pop music used to be colourful, fun and, well, a bit daft! It's not going to change anyone's life, but a nice effort from a pop also-ran.

Hey Jane

Dance Is The Nu Sex

7. With a name like Single Gun Theory you'd expect them to sound like a hip hop/gangster rap group, but nope! They're a great little ethereal, downtempo, synth-pop three-piece from Australia. They were also promoted over in the USA, but as far as I know, nothing got released here in the UK? Anyway, they released three albums and eight singles between 1987-1996. Of particular note, or rather my favourite, is Flow, River Of My Soul. I love the single Fall from this and the remix package is superb (Apollo 440). "Cocteau Twins meets Orbital" one YouTube comment reads...

Fall

From A Million Miles

Fall [Abstract Gladiators Remix]

8. The name rings a definite bell, so I'll check them out!

9. You might appreciate Motherland, which is quite lovely...

Eric Generic likes this.
  10. I dismissed Single Gun Theory after I had heard their first single in 1987, which sounded like an uninspired Front 242 left over.
    The later videos, which you linked are quite nice though.

Eric Generic and anfunny2003 like this.