Alicia Keys - Here | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alicia Keys - Here

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by truman, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Somewhere, Grace Jones is listening to Girl Can't Be Herself and cackling.

Terminus and push the button like this.
  2. LP

LP

Loved Common and was interested in her no makeup aesthetic for the era. Very disappointed that she didn't explore this soundscape further. Girl Can't Be Herself is nice enough. Does anyone think she was trying to achieve a record like The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill? I can't with all the spoken interludes... so forced.

push the button likes this.
  3. German reviews are pretty good. Just read a five star one, saw a couple really good ones.

German PJ user theflipper likes some ideas but thinks overall this is pretty shit.

4. I'm really disappointed that there's no vinyl. Love the album.

5. I'm inclined to agree. She gives people absolutely no reason to stay interested.

It's fine not to be musically adventurous if the songs are consistently great, but Alicia sinks further into bland self-help book territory with each album. She had SO much potential in the early days as well.

6. The new video is boring. I just don't like that her visuals are all black and white. Then the constant use of gray background. It is just look lazy and lifeless to me.

7. I can see and hear this image in my mind so clearly...

When I read her amazing autobiography, I read it all in her voice in my head.

Ferk and dodoriazarbon like this.
  8. Here officially debuts at #2 in the US with slightly higher-than-expected sales / streaming;

9. I gave in and streamed it Friday night. Coincidence? I think not.

10. Well done to her! It really didn't look like she was going to manage to continue that top-two run. 50,000 is... better.

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  11. Just like the album deserves to be.

Moondust and londonrain like this.
  12. 'Holy War' grew on me in the last week. I'm sure it's mostly down to being so shell shocked by the election and this awful feeling of doom in the air but the song has been something of a comfort this past week, even with those struggle vocals in the chorus.

She can keep the rest.

AshleyKerwin and Mr.Arroz like this.
  13. Did she perform Holy War somewhere? It's top 40 on US iTunes without a discount.

14. Yep, she did. On The Voice.

VicePresidentJocasta likes this.
  15. She's performing on X Factor UK on Sunday.

16. That was a stunning performance. It remains my favourite song on the album.

17. 100% - this may be harsh but I always felt that Songs In A Minor was 6 amazing tracks with a load of filler. The Diary Of Alicia Keys was marginally better. Since then, every album is (maybe) 1 or 2 great songs surrounded by dirges. So much promise wasted - her legacy is thinner than it should have been...

18. Well at least she didn't pull Usher numbers. People may not like it but her personal life choices regarding her now husband really put a dent in how some fans view her in some circles and impacted her success.

AshleyKerwin likes this.