All Important Single Edits On CD | Page 103 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All Important Single Edits On CD

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by simes1970, Sep 11, 2013.

1. I may have tagged my iTunes wrong again! I will re-check them both. I've got the 1981 7" from the Lexicon deluxe as 3.39, same as the mix on the album.

stecov likes this.
  2. I've got the 45 logged at 3.34, the album version is around 3.30. If I'm correct of course....

Eric Generic and nlgbbbblth like this.
  3. Just put the Lexicon deluxe into iTunes, and the album version comes up 3.31, and the original 7" is 3.37. So I think I must have put the same 7" mix into my library twice! (the 3.39 came from importing it from a homemade ABC boxset I'd made with the single mixes, which adds on 2 seconds of silence).

stecov and nlgbbbblth like this.
  4. Can anyone confirm the length of the UK 7" version of 'In The Air Tonight' by Phil Collins? Was it remixed from the album version? If it is different is it available anywhere other than on the vinyl.

5. Apparently the album and single mixes are different. One has more drums than the other. I forget which is which.

6. According to wikipedia more drums were added to the single version.

Eric Generic likes this.
  7. Thanks! Yeah that was what I thought....I remember when the deluxes of Phil's albums were out last year, or earlier this year, there was talk about why the 7"/single mix of In The Air Tonight hadn't been added to Face Value's bonus disc. I think it must be rare on CD.

8. stecov and Eric Generic like this.
  9. Yes, that Atlantic compilation CD is indeed the only one to contain the correct 45 version of In The Air Tonight as far as I know. All his hits compilations (well both of them!) have the LP version.

Eric Generic likes this.
  10. My copy arrived today, it's a neat little collection and I like the artwork.

Back to those new 3CD "Top of the Pops" sets, and finally the lowdown on 1980:

TOP OF THE POPS 1980:

Disc: 1
    1. Antmusic 3.38
    2. Geno 3.27
    3. Going Underground 2.53
    4. Atomic 3.46
    5. Baggy Trousers 2.28
    6. Lip Up Fatty 2.45
    7. Runaway Boys 2.59
    8. Love Will Tear Us Apart - Original Version 3.27
    9. Working For The Yankee Dollar 3.39
    10. Staring At The Rude Boys 3.12
    11. Brass In Pocket 3.01
    12. Echo Beach 3.35
    13. Happy House 3.50
    14. Private Life - Single Version 4.37
    15. Same Old Scene 3.57
    16. Messages 3.44
    17. Looking For Clues 4.56
    18. Banana Republic - Edit 3.30
    19. Food For Thought 4.09
    20. Police & Thieves - Single Version 4.13
    21. It's Different For Girls 3.43

Notes: Tracks in red denote a running time which is either uncommon on CD, or notably different to the lengths on previous CD release and/or the act's own CDs. Tracks in grey are longer than versions otherwise released/available on CD, and are not the single edit.

Atomic might not be especially rare in this edit, but it's shorter than the one from the Blondie singles box and/or other Blondie compilations I have. Likewise, the Grace Jones track. Banana Republic is a lot shorter than the 5.04 album version, while Police & Thieves is 30 seconds longer than a version I have on a Trojan compilation CD, but this one is listed as Single Version so I assume it to be correctly tagged.

Disc: 2
    1. Celebration 4.58
    2. Use It Up And Wear It Out 3.53
    3. Upside Down 4.06
    4. Funkytown 3.57
    5. You Gave Me Love 3.08
    6. Casanova 4.04
    7. And The Beat Goes On 3.26

8. Jump To The Beat 3.33
    9. Let's Get Serious 3.33
    10. Don't Stop The Music 4.06
    11. Behind The Groove 3.57
    12. I'm Coming Out 5.22
    13. I Don't Believe You Want To Get Up And Dance (Oops Up Side Your Head) - 3.24
    14. Feels Like I'm In Love 3.14
    15. I'm In The Mood For Dancin' 3.17
    16. Too Hot 5.00
    17. My Old Piano 3.54
    18. No Doubt About It 4.30
    19. If You're Looking For A Way Out 4.26
    20. The Tide Is High 3.50

Notes: Tracks in red denote a running time which is either uncommon on CD, or notably different to the lengths on previous CD release and/or the act's own CDs. Tracks in grey are longer than versions otherwise released/available on CD, and are not the single edit.

This is a pretty useful disc overall, with several dance classics in their edited form. Most of the compilations I have with these songs feature them in full length or longer mixes, so about half a dozen of these are different to what I already had in iTunes. Curiously though. several tracks across all the 1980 discs seem to be 4 or 5 seconds shorter, whether they've been subtly faded out early for reasons of space, I'm not sure.

Disc: 3
    1. Call Me 3.30
    2. What's Another Year 3.02
    3. Suicide Is Painless 2.54
    4. The Winner Takes It All 4.55
    5. Take That Look Off Your Face 2.58
    6. Do That To Me One More Time 4.13
    7. January, February 3.44
    8. Enola Gay 3.28
    9. Eighth Day 3.10
    10. Someone's Looking At You 4.23
    11. Start! - Single Version 3.16
    12. Dog Eat Dog 3.07
    13. The Earth Dies Screaming 4.37
    14. What You're Proposing 3.50
    15. All Night Long 3.52
    16. I Got You 3.29
    17. Over You 3.27
    18. Blue Peter 2.06
    19. I Hear You Now 5.09
    20. Stop The Cavalry 2.55
    21. Super Trouper 4.13

Not much of interest here, apart from the edited version of Start! which incredibly isn't on most Weller compilations (they must use the album mix). Dog Eat Dog's a few seconds shorter than my other copies, but that's the case for quite a few things on this 1980 set.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 8:10 PM
    stecov likes this.
  11. A great collection of songs on this Atlantic compilation and purely by accident searching for Phil Collins I also got the single edit of 'Wind Beneath My Wings' by Bette Midler I had been looking for too.

stecov and Eric Generic like this.
  12. Regarding Top Of The Pops1980 CD1

Antmusic too long as always on CD (45 is around 3.15)
    Atomic looks about right for the 45 version
    Private Life also looks like the 45 version
    Messages is around 15 seconds shorter than the 45 though (3.59)
    Looking For Clues is much longer than the 45 (should be around 4.15)

Banana Republic I have logged at 3.24, but CD copies are mostly listed anywhere between 3.24 and 3.30

Police And Thieves I have logged at 3.55, that length is on several CDs but there's no timing on the UK 45, so this one's a bit of a grey area to me.

Eric Generic likes this.
  13. No consistency with Odyssey on CD2.

Use It Up is around the correct length for the 45 version, but If You're Looking For A Way Out is much shorter (3.11) in its 45 edit.

Eric Generic likes this.
  14. Thanks for the feedback...have changed Antmusic to grey to reflect it's not the single edit. Messages is the *10-inch Single Version* according to the mix of that length already in my iTunes from one of the OMD compilations.

15. Weird.

Updated with CD3 details now.

16. Also on TOTP 1980, Take That Look Off Your Face is the shorter album version, the 7” was around 3.30, which hardly appears anywhere these days.

stecov and Eric Generic like this.
  17. Yeah, I only have the Lloyd-Webber Gold version on CD, which is 3.00.

stecov likes this.
  18. Not sure, but I think there's just one Webber compilation from years ago that uses the longer 3.27ish 45 version. It's very rare in comparison with the 3.00 version.

Eric Generic likes this.
  19. I stand to be corrected as they're not a group I know that well, but I thought the single version of Start was about a minute shorter than that??