Allie X - 'CollXtion II' | Page 104 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allie X - 'CollXtion II'

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Noir, Feb 4, 2014.

1. I've made three threads about new pop music I've enjoyed but not even a single person has replied.

2. Yeah. I mean, I love her. All The Rage, Too Much To Dream, Prime, Hello, Bitch, etc.. are all such amazing songs. Even her unreleased material is amazing - Debut, Civil War and Stranger.

But these are just not good. Simon Says is alright I guess. New Old Habits is just unnecessary.

FeelingX likes this.
  3. Try posting them in this sub-forum: http://forum.popjustice.com/forums/newartists/
    A lot of people looking for new artists would go there first as a lot of the new/smaller artist's threads are buried in the main forum.

4. Is there a way to move the threads from the main forum to this one?

5. It's nice to have new version of Habits, but it's not like it was necessary at all. Simon Says is the best thing from todays spread, is just great and pure synthpop bliss. Need You is just fine, quite nice slower track for me.
    Vintage with interpolation of Sorry, that was unexpected! It's nice, a little bit too glossy but I'm here for it.

6. I think your best bet would be to Private Message one of the moderators, giving them the links to the threads and asking if they can be moved. Try @2014 or @Solenciennes.

7. Thank you.

8. Maybe I'm just missing something, but I genuinely 110% don't hear that drastic a change in songwriting between this and her CollXtion I material. Like...the production style is different, sure, but lyrically it's all still very much her.

RUNAWAY, Lander, Jersey and 2 others like this.
  9. I agree, everything is all there. The production itself is a bit more streamlined and glossy (and modern) but that's really the only difference, the heart of the songs is all still there.

Petty Mayonnaise and Andy French like this.
  10. I like Vintage, the other 2 not so much.

11. It feels completely different to me. Her lyrical style in CollXtion I was quite abstract and metaphorical whereas this is very on the nose. The production and vocal effects also obscure her voice sometimes which I don't like because that is Allie's greatest asset.

12. I love pretty much everything we've gotten so far, but I would like something a la Sanctuary that she can wail on just because she's capable of it. Show off the chops a bit Allie.

FeelingX likes this.
  13. Precisely! Tumor and Sanctuary were my favorites from CollXtion I for this reason.

14. This is going to be amazing, as expected.

15. The synth bit in Vintage sounds like Never Give You Up by Rick Astley.

16. The Nicola Cruz influence is very apparent on this one. Queen of taste.

17. "Simon Says" is good but also made me cringe. The lyrics are just too similar to "Good" in some parts. For example her using that whole "mother", "sister" and "father" thing again. Still a great track tho.
    "Need You" is very unexpected and I like that.
    "Vintage" is really not for me. There is a very small category of Allie songs that all sound too glossy and sassy for me (Like "To Better Times" and "Sorry") and unfortunately it falls into that.

18. Are we getting the full Paper Love tonight?

19. No. it's not on iTunes.

20. Not directed at anyone, but it's always so weird to me when people who seem a bit invested in her and have down their research say they didn't see a glossy sound from her possible when some of the first songs online by her were songs like Glam, I Take It Back, I'm Not Gonna Tell My Boyfriend, etc.

I like this whole kinda tropical suicide soundscape she's going on. It makes me hopeful that "can you make me remember forever" clip is either Lifted or Downtown, but oh well if it's not.

Andy French likes this.