'Amazing' Quotes etc. | Page 286 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Amazing' Quotes etc.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dmc, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Christianity originates from the Middle East, so ‘inherently linked’ seems like an oversight.

aaronhansome and kal like this.
  2. in·her·ent·ly
    inˈhirəntlē,inˈherəntlē/
    adverb
    1. in a permanent, essential, or characteristic way.
      "the work is inherently dangerous"

...Doesn't seem like an oversight to me.

Txetxu, Mikl C, inevitable and 6 others like this.
  3. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

It wasn’t essential in its origin, my friend, that’s my point. Certainly once it flourished and corrupted in a Euro-centric society it became attached to the patriarchy and perverted by white supremacists, but I still would not categorize it as inherently linked. Semantics, I guess, but important ones.

Leopold, Karvel and aaronhansome like this.
  4. Christianity is not 'inherently' anything (other than a religion), it can be fashioned into anything a believer wants. There are Christian feminists.

Billions of POC Christians would find this statement from a Western atheist ridiculous, anyway.

Karvel and aaronhansome like this.
  5. For the past several hundred years, Christianity has been intertwined with patriarchy and white supremacy, so I consider those things linked "in a permanent, essential, or characteristic way." I get where you're coming from, but I don't really see the semantics as being important.

6. Okay, but I'm clearly talking about Christianity as an institution and not specific, individual Christians. Christianity was literally used as a tool for imperialism. I'm not saying there aren't "good Christians", PoC Christians, or anything of the sort.

7. You know what they meant

8. SCREEEEEAM

Bobbyrae, nikkysan, RUNAWAY and 6 others like this.
  9. Not when they literally whitewashed Jesus noooooooooooo.

10. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Again, you’re talking about actions made hundreds of years after the foundation of Christianity in a Euro-centric and burgeoning colonial world.

You know, @Rhombus was right, I know what you all mean, the point you’re trying to make, it’s just I think it helps to be accurate and deliberate when you want to make a point like this.

11. When straight white men stop being mediocre maybe we won't sentence them to death by volcano.

Txetxu, gagapourgaga, Mikl C and 6 others like this.
  12. RJF

RJF

Did... did anyone need clarification that the conversation was about the current day and not... centuries ago?

13. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Well, I’ve already answered this, and I’m not sure why you’re responding, but my issue was with the word choice, which I thought was misleading. But, it’s so not a big deal and I think the user I initially quoted explained their reasoning quite well.

14. Counterproductive pedantry.

15. I wanna know what everyone's been drinking around here lately.

papatrick likes this.
  16. JT upon accepting the Superbowl halftime gig

[​IMG]

17. RJF

RJF

The same reason you seemingly interjected with an irrelevant history lesson: because I can.

18. What you want us to be drinking:
    [​IMG]

What we are drinking
    [​IMG]

19. Why not both

[​IMG]

20. Nñnn sis, you’re becoming one of my favourite members