American Horror Story | Page 174 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Horror Story

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Someboy, Oct 4, 2011.

1. I can't even put into words what garbage the final episode was. I don't expect realism from American Horror Story or even Ryan Murphy, but this entire season-long arc and set of characters were so internally inconsistent with their characterisation, their goals, their motivations that nothing had any impact and nothing made a whole lot of sense. Without any real horror or humour to offset this, you're left with a total trainwreck of a season.

2. I understand the criticisms against coven but I find that its a much better watch the second time around, knowing what you're getting into. Yeah it's messy as hell and every time Ryan Murphy tries to tackle anything dealing with race it's a disaster, but its campy fun and ridiculous in a way that I found to be way more enjoyable than the ridiculousness of Cult.

In someone else's hands it would've made a fantastic spinoff. The centuries long beef between the black and white witches would've been really interesting to explore and Angela Bassett as Marie Laveau was incredible. I hope she's back next season.

CIOB and lushLuck like this.
  3. Wait Evan Peters shaved his head in this? Maybe I quit too soon. . .

ibelieveinsantogold and Chris_P like this.
  4. Okay, they have to stop trying to make Evan Peters a (hot) thing because it's working.
    This started out as the most solid of all seasons, and then spiraled to hell faster than any other, so, yeah. Same thread, next year.

edit: Asylum, Freakshow (even though I can accept that it was pretty tiring), and Roanoke (if we pretend it ended right after the original story arc - the rest was just not as good) are the only things I think were actually worth watching out of all seasons, but Murder House and Hotel were okay too. Coven had the right ingredients, but unless you are interested in what it specifically has to offer in terms of themes (witches getting killed because of how they use their magic) there really is nothing about the execution to make it compelling enough to sit through.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  5. Even though they scare me more than anything else, I would kinda like the next series to explore alien abductions.

6. That would be perfect, with the creepy tone of ‘The Forth Kind’

P'NutButter likes this.
  7. I like that theme in theory, but it's Ryan Murphy and AHS we'll talking about. It'd turn into this before the first third of the season:

8. I still really hope they do the rumoured Murder House/Coven season.

9. Are you sure you want your memory of these two seasons ruined?

Vitamin likes this.
  10. I honestly hope this never happens. I just don't have faith that they'll do justice to any characters from Murder House, and I'd have no interest at all unless Connie Britton and Jessica Lange are the leads. I just can't see them competently pulling it off.

Stradiwhovius and lushLuck like this.
  11. I love Murder House and Coven, but I don't really think of them as good TV, so I'm not too worried about my memories of either being tainted. I need to rewatch those first three seasons, actually. Don't think I'll be doing the same for the rest of the show, though. Maybe the campier episodes of Roanoke if I need a laugh.

12. I recently re-watched Murder House and I forgot just how good and exciting it was; it burned through horror tropes gleefully and with novelty without losing sight of setting or character.

And I forgot how mournful and "dark" it was -- in terms of characters in despair making terrible choices that have felt repercussions, rather than just pure violence -- while still managing to weave in hope that can be strove for, that it's never too late to break free from cycles of behaviour that seem to trap; the writers not giving over completely to cynicism, and poking fun out of modern culture as beyond salvation.

Moira crying helplessly as her grave is locked away forever under the construction of the new gazebo; Violet trying to escape the house by suicide only to awaken in the arms of a sobbing, abusive Tate and she herself breaking down in despair; the ghosts unable to find any peace on the one night they are allowed to walk free ect. ect.

I wouldn't be opposed to a crossover as there is a deep bench of good characters and established mythology over the two seasons to work from, we shall see.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Trousers likes this.
  13. Mess of a season. For me the last good season was Hotel. It's been a downfall since then.

kal likes this.
  14. I would love to see Ryan’s take on sci-fi personally.

P'NutButter and kal like this.
  15. So I finally watched the last two episodes over the last two days. It had taken me a while as I'd found this season such a chore to get through. It truly was trash! The only moment I really found interesting was the Charles Manson flashback. It only really clicked then that that's what they were trying to do with Cult, but it really failed on all aspects. But having recently read a lot about Charles Manson it was interesting to see some of it on screen.

lushLuck likes this.
  16. So season 8 will be set in the future ("Not space" / "Still topical"), and season 9 will be the Murder House / Coven crossover season.

Murphy went on to divulge that Season 9 could be the Murder House/Coven crossover he previously hinted at. “We’re working on it, but that’s not going to be [Season 8],” he said. “That will probably be the one after that. We’ve already met about it and outlined it. But it won’t be next because some of the [cast members] are not available.”

“It’s a character from season 1 that will be thrust into the world that you are left with at the end of Coven, which is sort of like the male/female/witch academy,” Murphy says of the future season of American Horror Story. “And then all of those characters will intertwine, which is confusing because some of them are from seasons 1 and 3. Like, Sarah Paulson will probably be playing 18 characters.”

Terminus likes this.
  17. OK but if they are going to revisit Murder House and not have it be about Constance raising her demon grandchild then WHAT is even the point?

18. They just can't do a Murder House revisit without Jessica Lange - I suppose by Season 9 she will have been away for long enough that she may want to return.

19. Season 8 being in the 'future' just makes me feel he's going to rip off Black Mirror type technology.

20. I wonder what is going to happen with this show now that Murphy is moving to Netflix.