Are You Rate Up: Ayumi Hamasaki Discography Rate ~Episode II~ | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are You Rate Up: Ayumi Hamasaki Discography Rate ~Episode II~

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by send photo, Feb 5, 2018.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welcome to part 2 of the Ayumi Hamasaki Discography Rate! Like the queen we’re here to rate, I never stay away too long. I’m back to continue to give her entire discography the appreciation only a super stan can deliver. It seems as if rates have been in a slump as of recently, but rest assured, I promise to deliver you results in a timely and fashionably extra manner. Anyone that’s followed one of my rates before knows I like my rates fast and dirty, so I’m going to do my best to blow our way through until at least the top 40.

Rules

• Score every song provided between 0 and 10. Half point decimals are allowed.
    • You are allowed one 11 for whichever song is either your favourite or the most deserving.
    • PM your finalised scores to @send photo.
    • If you’d like to do a guest elimination, please provide a list of at least 5 songs you’d prefer to eliminate.
    • Troll votes are ignored/tossed.

Extra Considerations

• Ayumi is a ballad-heavy artist. If you’re here for the bops perhaps this isn’t the rate for you.
    • If you’re struggling to connect with a song try and look at the provided lyrics.
    • If you’re unfamiliar with her and still want to vote, please put in the extra effort to your scores. This is a niche rate and every ballot greatly affects the results. I’ll be providing summaries to help you but more of that later.
    Anyway, you’ve heard the song and dance before so let’s just jump in with the full list:

AYUMI SPOTIFY PAGE
    LYRIC TRANSLATIONS
    (Albums are directly linked to Spotify below. I’m also told she’s on Apple Music if that’s your gig. If you can't use either PM me and I'll try to find you an alternative source.)

[​IMG]
    MY STORY
    Summary

1. About You PV
    2. GAME PV
    3. my name’s WOMEN PV
    4. Liar
    5. HOPE or PAIN
    6. HAPPY ENDING
    7. Moments PV
    8. walking proud PV
    9. CAROLS PV
    10. INSPIRE PV
    11. HONEY
    12. Replace
    13. winding road
    14. Humming 7/4 PV

1. Bold & Delicious PV
    2. STEP you PV
    3. Ladies Night PV
    4. is this LOVE? PV
    5. (miss)understood
    6. alterna PV
    7. In the Corner
    8. criminal
    9. Pride PV
    10. Will
    11. HEAVEN PV
    12. fairyland PV
    13. Beautiful Day
    14. rainy day PV

1. Until that Day…
    2. Startin’ PV
    3. 1 LOVE PV
    4. It was
    5. JEWEL PV
    6. momentum PV
    7. Born To Be… PV
    8. Beautiful Fighters PV
    9. BLUE BIRD PV
    10. kiss o’ kill
    11. Secret

[​IMG]
    GUILTY

1. (don’t) Leave me alone PV
    2. talkin’ 2 myself PV
    3. decision PV
    4. GUILTY
    5. fated PV
    6. Together When…
    7. Marionette PV
    8. glitter PV
    9. MY ALL
    10. untitled ~for her~

1. NEXT LEVEL PV
    2. EnergizE
    3. Sparkle PV
    4. rollin’
    5. GREEN PV
    6. identity
    7. Rule PV
    8. LOVE ‘n’ HATE
    9. Days PV
    10. Curtain call PV

1. Microphone PV
    2. count down
    3. Sunset ~LOVE is ALL~ PV
    4. BALLAD PV
    5. Last Links
    6. Don’t look back PV
    7. Lady Dynamite PV
    8. Sexy little things PV
    9. Sunrise ~LOVE is ALL~ PV
    10. meaning of Love
    11. You were… PV
    12. RED LINE ~for TA~

1. Love song PV
    2. crossroad PV
    3. MOON PV
    4. sending mail
    5. Last angel PV
    6. Like a doll
    7. blossom
    8. Thank U
    9. Sweet Season PV
    10. do it again PV
    11. November
    12. Virgin Road PV
    13. SEVEN DAYS WAR

[​IMG]
    FIVE

1. progress PV
    2. ANother song feat. URATA NAOYA PV
    3. Why… feat. JUNO PV
    4. beloved PV
    5. BRILLANTE PV

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Extras

PM List

MY STORY

1. About You -
    2. GAME -
    3. my name’s WOMEN -
    4. Liar -
    5. HOPE or PAIN -
    6. HAPPY ENDING -
    7. Moments -
    8. walking proud -
    9. CAROLS -
    10. INSPIRE -
    11. HONEY -
    12. Replace -
    13. winding road -
    14. Humming 7/4 -

(miss)understood

1. Bold & Delicious -
    2. STEP you -
    3. Ladies Night -
    4. is this LOVE? -
    5. (miss)understood -
    6. alterna -
    7. In the Corner -
    8. criminal -
    9. Pride -
    10. Will -
    11. HEAVEN -
    12. fairyland -
    13. Beautiful Day -
    14. rainy day -

Secret

1. Until that Day… -
    2. Startin’ -
    3. 1 LOVE -
    4. It was -
    5. JEWEL -
    6. momentum -
    7. Born To Be… -
    8. Beautiful Fighters -
    9. BLUE BIRD -
    10. kiss o’ kill -
    11. Secret -

GUILTY

1. (don’t) Leave me alone -
    2. talkin’ 2 myself -
    3. decision -
    4. GUILTY -
    5. fated -
    6. Together When… -
    7. Marionette -
    8. glitter -
    9. MY ALL -
    10. untitled ~for her~ -

NEXT LEVEL

1. NEXT LEVEL -
    2. EnergizE -
    3. Sparkle -
    4. rollin’ -
    5. GREEN -
    6. identity -
    7. Rule -
    8. LOVE ‘n’ HATE -
    9. Days -
    10. Curtain call -

Rock’n’Roll Circus

1. Microphone -
    2. count down -
    3. Sunset ~LOVE is ALL~ -
    4. BALLAD -
    5. Last Links -
    6. Don’t look back -
    7. Lady Dynamite -
    8. Sexy little things -
    9. Sunrise ~LOVE is ALL~ -
    10. meaning of Love -
    11. You were… -
    12. RED LINE ~for TA~ -

Love songs

1. Love song -
    2. crossroad -
    3. MOON -
    4. sending mail -
    5. Last angel -
    6. Like a doll -
    7. blossom -
    8. Thank U -
    9. Sweet Season -
    10. do it again -
    11. November -
    12. Virgin Road -
    13. SEVEN DAYS WAR -

FIVE

1. progress -
    2. ANother song feat. URATA NAOYA -
    3. Why… feat. JUNO -
    4. beloved -
    5. BRILLANTE -

Extras

teens "acoustic version" -
    2. part of Me -
    3. Mirrorcle World -
    4. Life -
    5. Dream ON (Urata Naoya) -
    6. Happening Here -

That’s everything from MY STORY to FIVE. 95 songs! That may seem daunting but I’ve prepared a few things to help you out. Firstly, I’ll be providing album summaries so you’re not jumping in blind. I’ve also provided an optional schedule to help you out, working out to an album a week:

MY STORY: due 11/2
    (miss)understood: due 18/2
    Secret: due 25/2
    GUILTY: due 4/3
    NEXT LEVEL: due 11/3
    Rock’n’Roll Circus: due 18/3
    Love songs: due 25/3
    FIVE: due 1/4

This sets the final deadline at
    1 April @ 11:59pm PST.

Bonus: Part One Revision
    So many of you know I only rejoined part one at the last minute. As a way of making it up to those of you who missed it, you can send in scores for part one that will be included in the final master list once part 3 concludes. If you voted in part one and regret your scores, feel free to update them and send them in. These scores are due by the end of part 3, so you have a fuckton of time to put it bluntly.

Part One Rate

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018 at 4:23 AM
  2. Aaand the first album summary to get you started. I promise I'll be more in-depth/descriptive with the songs one on one

[​IMG]

MY STORY

Singles
    Moments | INSPIRE / GAME | CARLOS

Our first album is a special gem in her discography, as it's one of Ayu's most personal records. MY STORY represents Ayu's struggles with her career, most prominently avex's treatment of her. She elaborates on the problems she touched upon with A BEST's release, such as avex treating her like a product. MY STORY is one of her most cohesive albums, and certainly one of my favourites. There's a perfect balance of strength and vulnerability. It's the first album she really dove head-first into the rock genre, continuing on with elements of Memorial address. Overall I'd say the main theme of this album is independence.

I won't bother with charts and shit cause duh, she always went #1 (shut up I know GUILTY didn't). Going completely against the rock sound, she released a classical cover album a few months later. I was going to share some of my standouts for these write-ups but I feel I should remain partial as a host until reveals start, so I'll shine some spotlight on some of my favourite alternative versions instead:

sendy's Selected Remixes
    walking proud | HOPE or PAIN

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  3. I am SO HERE for this. My averages are going to **** this round. SO. MANY. TENS.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    evilsin and send photo like this.
  4. Who dat?

Binch, I'm excited! And Kumi's Part II coming soon as well! That JPop reign over PopJustice just won't let up.

5. That's one for the last.fm girls from back when it was relevant xx

6. An ode to her latin lover no less.

EachSmallStep and send photo like this.
  7. Thank the heavens the due date is April 1st! I don't think I could've finished the Namie rate, this rate, and the impending Kumi rate as well otherwise.

8. Same. I needa, I needa, I needa, I needa get into this JPop gig.

9. I'm much more familiar with this part of her discography than the newer stuff and the older stuff, so consider me in.

[​IMG]

10. I'm glad you're accepting scores for the first rate too because I just went through it and saw that Independent, Boys & Girls, Fly High, Hanabi ~episode II~ (?!!?!??!) and Daybreak all missed the top THIRTY? Who hurt y'all?

[​IMG]

11. Am I doing this to try and correct the wrong that SEASONS, one of her most iconic and quintessential songs, bombed out at #38? Maybe so.gif

12. Oh, I'm not changing my iconic scores then.

13. If M is kicked off the first place because of this, I swear...

14. Am I going to give Bold & Delicious my 11?

[​IMG]

15. I started getting into Ayumi during the Guilty era, so I'm definitely in! This'll be a trip down memory lane for me as I haven't heard these albums in full for a while.
    God, that (miss)understood gif gets me every time.

evilsin, send photo and junglefish like this.
  16. Well it's been a week, so if you're using the provided schedule you should have at least rated MY STORY. Onto the next album, we've got ayu lips herself!

[​IMG]

(miss)understood

Singles
    STEP you / is this LOVE? | fairyland | HEAVEN | YAYAYAYAGAGAGAGADADADADAWOWOWOWO / Pride

This fucking cover. Even without the lips... this fucking cover. I feel like this is the album where she really started to experiment with more left-of-field sounds. Like... half this album is fucking bonkers (hey Bold & Delicious) and yet it remains cohesive. This album is so precious to me (don't @ me I already know I say that about the majority of her discography), perhaps because it's the last album where her artistry truly shines. Aside from a few albums I'll discuss later, her albums get a bit spottier after this.

There's definitely an underlying girl power theme throughout this album, with Ladies Night and Pride in particular. I know I said I'd be partial until eliminations but fuck it: if you anti-ballad shits tank HEAVEN I will scalp you and pay the $50 customs fee to priority ship your scalp to Ayu's doorstep. This is also her last album to sell over a million copies. Buckle up girls, the signs of commercial decline are settling in, but thankfully her #1 streak is here to stay.

sendy's Selected Remixes
    Ladies Night | HEAVEN
    (I might stop these, they're hard to find on Youtube dd. Ladies Night ~Another Night~ tho >>)

17. Yas.

@send photo forgot to mention this but <9 scores for Love song and Mirrorcle World won't be accepted

[​IMG]

18. (m)u is the best album in this rate for sure.