Australian charts - 25, 30 and 33 years ago (this week: the first chart of 1993 feat. Sweet Lullaby) | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australian charts - 25, 30 and 33 years ago (this week: the first chart of 1993 feat. Sweet Lullaby)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by SmashHitter, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  3. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago this week

Fascinating stuff!

I don't much about Aussie charts from the 80's - apart from INXS who were regulars since 1980:

SmashHitter - what do you think of their early stuff from 1980 to 1987 - Were you old enough to remember them appearing on "Countdown" and in the charts?

4. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago this week

INXS are my favourite Aussie band of all time - and mostly because of the early 80s stuff like Original Sin (their only Australian number 1 single), Burn For You (very synthpoppy), The One Thing etc. Sadly, I didn't get to watch too much Countdown in the early 80s (one TV house, always on sport) but I do remember their music videos from the time and the songs being on the radio. Kick is a great album - but so much more to them than that.

Glad you enjoyed seeing the charts. You can find all of the charts from July 1987 (when I started collecting them) through to end of 1989 on my blog (I can post links if need be). And at the moment, I'm posting something on the 1985 and 1990 ones each week, so might continue posting here as well. Late 1989/1990 was when Australia finally started getting dance music and R&B.

5. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago this week

I discovered INXS in early 1986 with the "Listen like thieves" album. The UK was probably the last place they finally hit it big in.
    All the singles from "Listen like thieves" peaked between 45 to 100 in the UK charts - and was their first batch of singles to chart in the UK. The singles from "Kick" in 1988 was when they cracked the UK top 40.

One of my all time favourite VHS tapes which I refuse to throw away! is INXS Greatest Video Hits 1980 to 1990 (I purchased this in 1990!)
    and I just love all the following:

Just keep walking
    The loved one
    Stay Young (bit of a ska-lite thing going on there)
    The One Thing (brilliant single - should have been a bit UK hit in 1983!)
    Spy of love
    Don't Change
    Original sin (Nile Rodgers produced them before going to Duran Duran)
    I send a message
    Burn for you (Great video)
    Dancing on the jetty
    Listen like thieves
    What you need (another groundbreaking video at the time: 1985)
    Kiss the dirt (Falling down the mountain) - a great tune and I love the video to this as well - it actually reminds me of my trip to Aussie way back in 1999
    The last time (starts off sounding like U2's "A sort of homecoming" then goes off in a different direction)

and all the "Kick" singles - especially "The Devil inside" when they let rip at the end (Michael also gives one of his most sexiest vocals on this song)

6. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago this week

Do you literally have Christmas songs playing all Summer or just at Christmas?

7. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago this week

Ha! Are you referring to all the Christmas songs hanging around in 1985? Australia was quite slow on the uptake then and Do They Know It's Christmas didn't hit number 1 until January (based on sales from the festive period, since the chart used to close down for 3 weeks).

Last Christmas was hanging around because of Everything She Wants, which then received a separate release.

Actually, Christmas songs aren't really a big thing here at all. Except for Mariah.

8. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago this week

There are probably quite a few Aussie bands from that era you'd like - Models, Boom Crash Opera, Dragon, Eurogliders... that didn't ever really cross over beyond Australia.

9. Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  10. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago this week (Dannii Minogue's chart debut)

25 years ago this week - the arrival of Dannii Minogue, recording artist. Or, as she insisted on being called: Dannii.

Plus, in an unusually big week for the Australian chart, new entries from Paula Abdul, Technotronic, Michael Penn, Milli Vanilli, Phil Collins and the original version of "Escaping", later covered by Dina Carroll.

Details: http://chartbeat.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/25-years-ago-this-week-march-11-1990.html

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  11. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago (this week: Dannii Minogue's chart debut)

Dannii's only top 10 down there.

12. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago (this week: Dannii Minogue's chart debut)

Yep, she reached number 11 with both All I Wanna Do and Put The Needle On It.

Love And Kisses peaked as high as Better The Devil You Know did in Australia - both reached number 4 in 1990.

13. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago (this week: Dannii Minogue's chart debut)

It's kind of baffling how she never had more success in Australia though...

14. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago (this week: Dannii Minogue's chart debut)

By the time she started releasing singles, the Australian media was very anti-Kylie and Jason, and she got caught up in that. Then, while Kylie went more experimental as the decade went on and Australia embraced grunge, Dannii stuck with pop/dance stuff.

It hasn't been until her reality show phase (she's been a judge on Australia's Got Talent and our X Factor) that she's really regained that broad popularity she had back on Young Talent Time.

15. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago (this week: Dannii Minogue's chart debut)

I didn't know that. Thanks for explaining!

16. Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  17. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago (this week: flops from Neneh Cherry/Deborah Ha

25 years ago this week - Deborah Harry and Neneh Cherry follow up more successful singles with flops (although, Neneh's previous two singles hadn't actually done very well in Australia). Plus, debut singles from The Sundays and Shawn Colvin.

Details: http://chartbeat.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/25-years-ago-this-week-march-18-1990.html

Meanwhile - my 1989 post from one year ago (Like A Prayer debuts):
    http://chartbeat.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/25-years-ago-this-week-march-19-1989.html

And my 1988 post from two years ago (Man In The Mirror flops):
    http://chartbeat.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/25-years-ago-this-week-march-20-1988.html

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  18. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago (this week: flops from Neneh Cherry/Deborah Ha

What a top 10 in 1988! George Michael, Bananarama, Rick Astley, Belinda Carlisle and Kylie. Heaven!

19. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago (this week: flops from Neneh Cherry/Deborah Ha

I know, right! Sometimes Australia got it right. But there was so much good music in 1988, it took a lot of effort to get it wrong.

20. Re: Australian charts - 25 years ago and 30 years ago (this week: flops from Neneh Cherry/Deborah Ha

Fascinating stuff - it's always interesting to see what took off in Aussie and what didn't!