Before They Were Stars: Eurovision Edition | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Before They Were Stars: Eurovision Edition

Discussion in 'Eurovision' started by WowWowWowWow, Mar 7, 2017.

1. When @KamikazeHeart posted the video of Kerli's 2003 performance at Melodifestivalen in the Eurovision thread, it made me wonder if there were other people who have a Eurovision-related credit in their history.

I'm not really thinking about the ABBA or Celine Dion types, where you can draw a line from their involvement in the Contest to their future careers. Some of the ones that came to mind for me:

Ben Barnes: Before he starred as Prince Caspian in the Chronicles of Narnia series, Benny Boy was part of Hyrise, who competed in the UK pre-selection in 2004:

Mohombi: He charted throughout Europe a few years back with "Bumpy Ride" and "Coconut Tree" featuring Nicole Scherzinger, and also besmirched a Cranberries classic by asking "Who's in your head? In your head? Mohombi"...... but we also saw him in Melodifestivalen 2005 with his brother as part of Group Avalon:

Johannes Bah Kuhnke: Maybe a bit of a stretch, but if you saw Force Majeure, a film nominated for various awards including the Golden Globe for Best Foreign Language film, perhaps you would be surprised to learn that the film's lead actor also gave it a wing at Melodifestivalen in 2010:

And of course, we all know about Rita Ora auditioning for "Your Country Needs You" in 2009:

Does anyone else have other examples?

Rhombus and Sprockrooster like this.
  2. Kerli had already took her chance in her native Estonia before in 2004 by channeling her inner Avril Lavigne

And before becoming Aurelia in Love Actually, Lúcia Moniz gave Portugal its best result to date.

3. It seems to have been erased from the depths of YouTube, but Robyn contributed as a songwriter for Melodifestivalen with this tune back in 1997:

Shirley Clamp started out as a backing singer/dancing for Antique in Eurovision 2001, earning the comment "That's not the girl" from Terry Wogan at 0:50:

And, lest we forget, when current Melodifestivalen producer Christer Björkman himself represented Sweden back in in 1992:

4. (And the less we say about "Välkommen till livet," the better...)

I had a full-fledged gay meltdown when Shirley and Velvet 'surprised' Helena at Stockholm Pride in 2013 (dodgy video ahoy):

And thank you @P Grandson for the contributions! This is totally the kind of trivia I was hoping for. And so timely with the Comic Relief special coming soon!

Monkey0 likes this.
  5. Awww I stanned for Velvet so hard durign her hey day and I love I'll Die For You.

Txetxu and WowWowWowWow like this.
  6. Karen Harding

7. I always forget that Jenny Frost started out in Eurovision a few years before ending up in Atomic Kitten.

The Saturday's Una was a backing singer for the Irish entry in 2006.

HRH, Rhombus, Txetxu and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jade Ewen

Sprockrooster likes this.
  9. German singer Jeanette competed in the National Preselection in 1999.

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  10. I waded into the UK pre-selection pages on Wikipedia last night and discovered a few more "names" that I didn't know were former national final alumni. Maybe you did, though.

Hazell Dean (1976 & 1984)

Sinitta (1984)

Labi Siffre (1978)

And... God help us all... The Nolan Sisters (1979)

Rhombus likes this.
  11. Lara Fabian competed for Luxembourg in the very same year that Celine Dion won for Switzerland, placing fourth.

New age singer Miriam Stockley of Praise, Adiemus and Lord Of The Rings soundtrack fame sang backup for the UK's 1990 and 1997 entries.

12. I also learned that one of the members of Q-Feel, who competed in 1982 with "Dancing in Heaven (Orbital Be-Bop)," was Martin Page, who had a US Top 20 hit 12 years afterwards with "In The House of Stone and Light."

13. That Die for You performance was completely unplanned.

In the rehearsal that afternoon Helena only rehearsed Save Me and My Number one. I believe they asked her to do die for you whilst she was on stage

14. This one is also a bit of a stretch, but Sia duetting with Peter Jöback on a cover of Wicked Game is a bit "unexpected".