Big Little Lies | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Little Lies

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by MollieSwift21, Feb 17, 2017.

1. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

New on HBO with Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern and Adam Scott. Based off the book of the same name.

Nicole and Reese teaming up is dream casting so I'm excited.

Alouder98 likes this.
  2. The cast is phenomenal. This is going to be magnificent.

MollieSwift21 likes this.
  3. I honestly can't wait for this. The book is just okay but I think the show will be amazing.
    But I'm not ready to hate queen Laura Dern yet, though. Her character is insufferable.

Beginner likes this.
  4. Apparently Kidman is a proper scene stealer (and without saying too much has a character arc not dissimilar to Michele in Elle). I'm so ready for the world to actually sit up and pay this woman the attention she fucking deserves again. It's been too long!

Will also be brilliant to see Reese play a proper, mean-spirited bitch. Quite a diversion for her.

5. Tracy Flick called.

6. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

It's so good. It's incredibly entertaining, and yet there's real issues being played out as well. I want every episode right now.

7. The first episode was incredible television. Queen Laura better not die.

8. This is everything I hoped it would be after reading the book. It's got such an incredibly powerful cast.

Did anyone else catch the Monster Ball Tour poster? kii

Bruno Ferreira and MollieSwift21 like this.
  9. I'm watching this now... I'm only half way in, and I already bloody love it. It's shot so wonderfully, and that cast...

10. I liked the premiere a lot.

Wondering why all the kids were so scary.

And why TV's/Movies have such a hard time creating realistic "youth." Reese's youngest daughter is just like, not even remotely close to how a 6 year old acts?

11. The first episode was just pure class through and through. Excellent and everything that I wanted.

junglefish and MollieSwift21 like this.
  12. Had no idea about this until yesterday and just went in blind after seeing the stellar cast. But yeah, me and my friend were definitely sucked in. It was shot so beautifully yet cold at the same time. I can't wait to see what happens.

13. What an incredible first episode. I haven't read the book, so I can't wait to see what happens next.

Alouder98 likes this.
  14. Reese Witherspoon is amazing in this. Easily the standout.

I haven't read the book but I loved what I saw in the first episode. Ugh, except for Shailene - go open a kale and clay smoothie shop or something.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  15. Look gorgeous but the story is quite pedestrian and pace will be very slow.

16. Reese and Nicole are both exceptional. Unsurprisingly.

It feels really well observed and real. Hard to say if that's true of course seeing as we're dealing with the super wealthy here but the script still found a way to make me pity these women so job done! I even enjoyed Shailene and I usually can't stand here. Seems like her character used to be rich and lost it all, if the brief flashbacks are any indication...

17. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Am I the only one who caught the moment where a man in the coffee shop sees the three of them and then turns away? Surely he's connected to this story?

18. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Reese's character is everything I want from her. Both her and Nicole were so good in that first episode. It's going to be such a treat seeing those two the next few weeks. I thought Shailene was pretty good in that first episode which is a big step up from my general disdained of her.

If there is a criticism I do the script was a little on the nose but maybe that's because I've read the book and would have different perspective if I hadn't.

Mikal likes this.
  19. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

I keep seeing people say "I usually hate Shailene, but she's good here." Why? She's fantastic in The Spectacular Now and The Descendants. Fair enough she saddled herself with a bad franchise, but who among us hasn't?

20. Yeah, that's a new character, he's not in the book.
    He runs the community theater and will have an affair with Madeline.