Big Little Lies | Page 9 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Little Lies

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by MollieSwift21, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

What a beautiful ending.

2. I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS OVER!!!!

3. ADAM SCOTT SHAVED HIS BEARD!

ZOE KRAVITZ' NUMBER!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  4. Literally my only complaint: couldn't they find someone to sing for Adam with a more similar voice?

HorseTears, Rhombus, lushLuck and 6 others like this.
  5. The last 15 minutes were beautiful. I'm speechless. It's the perfect ending.

Nicole and Shailene's scene together felt way more natural than the other scenes where they interact together.

6. Me. I. Am. Shook.

But very sad that it's over. I could watch that cast for years.

7. Three of them exchanging looks after Jane saw Perry was perfect, what an ending.

POPGASM, Vixen, allyshone and 5 others like this.
  8. Wow. That was amazing.

allyshone, Mikal and KamikazeHeart like this.
  9. The finale was superb, and it was a stunning series. What I'm left with though, is just how much of a depressing depiction of men and masculinity the show provided.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.avclub.com/amp/253075

This article makes a really good point about how in the end the women rallied around, supported and protected each other and the strength of a female bond. It was lovely to see and made me so thankful to be closely aligned to the female and feminine. Yet, as is so often the case, when it
    came to men, it presented the polar opposite. No intimate friendships, just simply these wild, aggressive dogs barking at each other, constantly in competition. Slaves to their animalistic urges.

It makes me so sad because between this and Broadchurch it just presents men in such a primal way it doesn't leave any room for more gentler, tender representations of masculinity. This only works to reproduce the binary and shuts down any negotiation of alternative gender roles. Even the nice depictions of fatherhood were tempered with the over arching narrative of fathers passing on negative traits to their sons. The only intimate moment in the whole show between men was probably that snapshot of the gay couple. Surely men can be better than this and they're not just a lost cause. After all this I desperately crave a more neutral depiction of heterosexual men and masculinity on television.

dodoriazarbon and POPGASM like this.
  10. The scene where Perry hands Celeste the iphone is incredible. The look on her face when he says who the message is from, the dialogue going from interacting with his kids while also talking to Celeste about the content of the message to Nicole's scared walking towards the car.. chills.
    Reese was also once again fantastic. Sadly I think she'll be a bit overlooked on this since her role has that comic relief feel, but her acting throughout this entire thing was flawless.

Now that I think about it, I know it's not that important but I wish they'd show what happened to Madeline's wedding. Her husband clearly figured about the affair on the episode

11. Nicole in that opening scene... I'm glad this is reminding people how phenomenal an actress she is. And what a perfect finale, I audibly gasped at so many moments (Perry giving Celeste the phone, the reveal of who pushed). And I can't think of a better way to end it than the five of them coming together. I really hope the brilliance of this inspires more, similar miniseries with fantastic actresses because I could watch this genre forever.

I think Nicole probably has the awards locked up because her storyline allowed for more acting but her and Reese have both been outstanding in this and I wish they could both win everything.

12. Although I did NOT need time wasted with two of the dads lipsyncing for their lives in the middle of the episode.

13. I just saw the finale so I'm coming down from an adrenaline rush, but I think this qualifies as one of the greatest hours of television I've ever seen.

14. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

It wasn't just Perry giving Celeste the phone that got me, it was watching them walk out of the house toward their car (the camera remaining inside) that was horrifying.

15. I was so worry he was going to bang her head against the dashboard.

POPGASM, Alouder98, allyshone and 3 others like this.
  16. I kept hoping she would text Madeleine something like "if I'm not there in x minutes call the police"

POPGASM likes this.
  17. The finale was immense, some real gasp out loud moments. Such a joy to see all these incredible actresses each week on such a well written show.

Did it differ much from the book for those who have read it?

18. Here's a writeup on most of the major differences: (I can't verify it, I haven't read the book)

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/big-little-lies-show-vs-book-ending.html

Bruno Ferreira likes this.
  19. That finale was just so intense. I didn't know how they were gonna wrap everything up in one episode but they did it perfectly, even if there is still some questions left to be answered.

I was on the edge of my seat for every scene with Perry and Celeste. Every time Perry made a move, e.g. Handing over the phone, driving past the entrance, locking the car doors. Just terrifying. And Bonnie running up, I've never wanted someone to run faster in my entire life. I knew what was coming as soon as we saw her.

Phenomenal acting all round, beautiful cinematography, superb editing. Couldn't recommended the series enough. And it's bittersweet that it's not getting a second season, but I wouldn't want them to ruin something so great.