Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounces Vol 1. | Page 80 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounces Vol 1.

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Apr 27, 2016.

1. AXW

AXW

Ari's voice is nice on this, but it's a bit of a slog through the verses to wait for it.

2. There's too many people on this track for it to be such a limp stroke, good grief.

3. I prefer this to his predominantly tired EDM of the past few years.

Fernando34, neinzedd and FridayNight like this.
  4. You all just don't like Young Thug.

AXW likes this.
  5. (My Way is Calvins career low)

2014, ALEX, Lander and 4 others like this.
  6. Heatstroke is nice, it just needs more Ariana adlibs and a hook vocal that isn't Pharrell's whiny ass. He's not a good vocalist at all but his voice seems to be particularly grating on this one. I really like Slide too so I guess I'm here for this new Calvin.

7. Not even remotely true!

Zamin, lushLuck and Sweet Music like this.
  8. I do quite like it, but I think pretty much everything else he's done is better.

EDIT: Sorry forgot about Summer and Hype. Feel So Close is his best in my opinion, followed by Pray to God and Sweet Nothing.

9. RMK

RMK

I don't really like the song that much. I obviously wish Calvin and all the features success with it but I don't see it doing well either. Just like 'Slide', it really drags on. It's not that I don't like rap or something different then the basic pop-edm songs he makes but this is nowhere near his best. 'My Way' was a bit annoying, and these two latest singles are also kind of meh.

10. I usually like his stuff but I'm not feeling this song, or Slide at all. They're both incredibly dull in my opinion.

My Way was great, This Is What You Came For was a bit basic but still likeable. How Deep is Your Love remains his last truly brilliant single.

ALEX, Txetxu, Jersey and 1 other person like this.
  11. RMK

RMK

To me each single since This Is What You Came For has been messy but in consecutive order. My Way is better than Slide which is better than Heatstroke. It's weird, I felt like he'd be making big moves this year but I guess not.

12. I... actually grew to like 'This Is What You Came For'. I realise that, objectively, there's not much to it, but it's a pleasant listen, and has lurked around my 'Recently Played' for the best part of a year due it being a something I usually spare three minutes for as I walk to work.

I realise that's hardly an achievement one should strive for when they set out to make music, but you get the idea.

Lander, Txetxu, Wills and 3 others like this.
  13. Listening again and I do think parts of it are good and a more streamlined and less meandering affair could've been quite the bop. Ariana sounds absolutely heavenly on her fleeting part and, reductive as it may feel to have a Pharrell assisted chorus about letting go and having a good time in a post-'Get Lucky' world, that part holds up surprisngly well too. I just think the decision to have Young Thug (who I'm not adverse to) take the lead accounts for it feeling so truncated and never really getting going.

If you basically just kept his second verse (after the first Art verse/bridge) and created a tighter and more fleshed out effort between the other two, I think it could've been pretty great.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Rainbow Trousers, Bobbyrae and K94 like this.
  14. Slide still doesn't do much for me, but Heatstroke is a step in the right direction (whatever that may be for Adam in 2017), despite Pharell.

(Young Thug and Ariana deserved better than a feature with Pharell.)

15. "Heatstroke" grew on me a lot. Forgot to report back, but it happened quickly. I think he should still push it as a single this summer.

16. I agree that My Way is his worst, it's just Calvin on autopilot shitting out something exactly the same as everything that's come before.

17. Calvin's got a funky instrumental on his instagram stories.. I'm guessing it's going to be another R&B/rap single

Fernando34 likes this.
  18. I love it now! It's not Slide obviously but it's so breezy and infectious. Pharrell's chorus into Ariana's other chorus is such a moment.

19. So much hate for Slide here. I think it's a great summer bop personally!

20. Every time I hear Arianas verse the melody gets me singing this: