Camila Cabello - Camila (Debut Album & Singles Discussion) | Page 216 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camila Cabello - Camila (Debut Album & Singles Discussion)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Hyrulian, Oct 14, 2016.

?

Was going solo at this time a good idea?

Poll closed May 16, 2017.
  1. Yes, she's gonna KILL it!

11.8%
  2. She'll flop harder than Nicole Scherzinger.

42.9%
  3. She'll have a few top 10s and then fizzle out.

45.3%
  1. I really like Never Be The Same, but Real Friends is one of the most boring songs I've heard in a long time.

timothy_b and GhettoPrincess like this.
  2. RMK

RMK

I actually prefer Real Friends. It feels a bit catchier on first listen and more genuine. Never Be The Same is decent but I don't really like the lyrics.

Whyamievenhere likes this.
  3. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

Never Be The Same is...fine, but it seems like a real misstep in terms of following up Havana. I'd actually say that OMG is the perfect follow-up, but I guess that's not happening.

And I don't even mind that the album is 10 tracks, but why in the fuck would they tag on that useless radio edit of Never Be The Same? Production is exactly the same, there are no extra verses or a feature or whatever, it's the same damn song with ONE LINE changed.

What actually would've been a good idea is to have included the proper solo version of Havana that she's performed every single time. Dumb move.

4. Something about the chorus of “Real Friends” sounds so familiar. I thought it was a Nick Jonas or Charlie Puth track, maybe even Bieber, but I can’t place it.

5. It's 8 am here and while listening to this, took me three times to understand I hadn't set up an alarm but that it was randomly incorporated in the song.

It's meh, I'm going back to sleep.

6. These both sound like streaming monster smashes to me, "Real Friends" probably moreso (even if I find it just serviceable).

The three summer 2016 tracks they're seemingly cutting from the album have 350m+ Spotify plays between them. Don't get this move at all.

Florencia. and relby like this.
  7. I dont understand yall.. if she threw on i have questions, crying in the club, omg, etc you would all be complaining about getting literally 4 new songs on album release date because of epics inability to pay for more than 10 tracks an album.
    You complain if she's apparently riding a wave trying to get a hit.
    Then you complain when she releases something personal that she really likes.

The only thing I agree about is it should be more than 10 tracks but thats epics fault

Florencia. and bleedingheart80 like this.
  8. It's the fact that there's a radio edit of a song already on the album that most of us are annoyed about. A solo version of Havana would be a better idea or another song instead of rather useless radio edit.... it's frustrating.

Rob likes this.
  9. Could just be like the Maroon 5 announcement that didn't have the other singles on the album originally. Hopefully the good sis has a gay in this thread.

10. The chorus of Never Be The Same has my 16 year old self shook

11. Thought this was a Mel C feat. Lisa Left Eye sapphic shoutout and felt my heart swell for a moment.

Island and stereosalt like this.
  12. I like both songs even if I feel like they're too long, but Havanas they are not. Real Friends is that sadbop and Never Be The Same's beat reminds me of a Post song.

13. For those curious, Real Friends' credits were updated.

The song was co-written by her team for this album, alongside Billy Walsh, and as well produced again by Frank Dukes. What Frank said about doing the whole album is likely happening.

Heartthrob likes this.
  14. I'm officially addicted to Never Be The Same.

15. I feel like I'd like Never Be the Same more if it were a Rihanna song. Though thats true of many songs.

16. Real Friends is great, gives me early 2000's teas. So breezy.

Florencia. and Whyamievenhere like this.
  17. Never Be The Same is nice.

Real Friends sounds like a filler on a Selena Gomez album.

18. RMK

RMK

It reminded me a bit of this DNCE track.

Jersey likes this.
  19. I had high expectations for the studio version of Never Be The Same after hearing her sing it on tour, but after hearing it for the first time, I was slightly underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I still love the song, but the studio version sounds badly mixed? I don't know what it is. I also expected the song to be more guitar-driven and was disappointed that that wasn't the case.

And as much as I would love to see this song become a hit, I don't think it will get played on radio much because I can see the falsetto part during the pre-chorus being quite divisive. That chorus is excellent and super catchy, though.

Real Friends is lovely and she sounds fantastic in it. I can't wait to see her perform this (hopefully playing the guitar).

The album only having 10 tracks plus the radio edit of Never Be The Same isn't really an issue for me. I can just easily add OMG, I Have Questions, and Crying In The Club and now I have a 14-track album.

Florencia. likes this.
  20. RMK

RMK

They are definitely saving some big song for after the album release (like Rude Boy, Hands To Myself, etc.), but neither of these songs really feel like singles.