Camila Cabello - Camila (Debut Album & Singles Discussion) | Page 249 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camila Cabello - Camila (Debut Album & Singles Discussion)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Hyrulian, Oct 14, 2016.

?

Was going solo at this time a good idea?

Poll closed May 16, 2017.
  1. Yes, she's gonna KILL it!

11.8%
  2. She'll flop harder than Nicole Scherzinger.

42.9%
  3. She'll have a few top 10s and then fizzle out.

45.3%
  1. Into it and In The Dark, are the ones i will take from this.

Crying In The Club on the album would have given it a little oomph, and i don't particularly like the song very much but sonically it would fit in with the album.

Its a pleasant album, but my wig is still intact.
    But i admire that this album feels personal and not so writers camp style. There is no track that sceams * label wanted a hit*.
    Havana has always been amazing to me, Never Be The Same isn't to my taste.

Overall, its a decent album and im happy for her.

2. To echo what a few other people are saying about including her previous singles I made my own deluxe version of the album on Spotify. This is more satisfying to listen to but still plays well on repeat!

I don't like that they put Havana so far down on the track list. It needs to be closer to the beginning otherwise it overpowers the ballads too much.

I Have Questions and Something's Gotta Give both have a heavy string based instrumental so I like them at the front and end of the album.

1. I Have Questions
    2. Havana
    3. She Loves Control
    4. Never Be the Same
    5. All These Years
    6. Inside Out
    7. Consequences
    8. Real Friends
    9. In the Dark
    10. Into It
    11. OMG
    12. Crying in the Club
    13. Something's Gotta Give

bleedingheart80 likes this.
  3. Don't producers and songwriters not get paid for their time, but what doesn't get left on the cutting room floor? If Pharrell's production is reduced to so much that he only has a songwriting credit left for a melody or something, he won't get paid as a producer for the track, but as a songwriter.

Frankenstein likes this.
  4. I think it's like the label only have to pay the producers if the songs make it on the album, so right now with frank dukes being the sole producer, it actually costs less as he is not as a big name (?) as the original producers of those songs (eg ryan tedder for into it)

Frankenstein likes this.
  5. Obligatory listen and oh dear this is boring. Also Camila’s voice on Never Be The Same is wretched.

Ferk and Island like this.
  6. Flop greek gays who's last purchased CD was Natalie Imbruglia's Torn (CD1) have been sharing it on Facebook non-stop since late August so I thought it was a hit much earlier?

Really enjoying this.

stuaw and dodoriazarbon like this.
  7. I listened to it and it sounded like a lesser version of Selena's Revival.

I'll take Havana, Into It, and All These Years and be on my way.

Ferk likes this.
  8. I'm not too familiar, nor do I care much for Camila, but impressed by the records she broke this morning I decided to give this a listen.

I was so bored.

9. This feels like the kind of album that Popjustice will be like "Yeah, that was pretty good" in a few months. It's already growing on me after a few listens.

Florencia., Beginner, Rem and 7 others like this.
  10. I think they're all growers, like Havana was.

11. This isn't really a bops album but Havana, Into It and She Loves Control are the ones you'll want to listen to.

Whyamievenhere likes this.
  12. Inside Out has hit potential. This is a very solid debut, her personality shines through on every track. Her reign begins!

13. LP

LP

I'm quite underwhelmed. Only digging a few tracks.

14. “All These Years” is so good nn. Queen of writing wizened, world-weary love songs at 20.

Florencia., Rem, Alouder98 and 4 others like this.
  15. DDDDDDDDD this is kinda true

16. I'm about halfway through it and it's a cute little album. I like OMG but it definitely doesn't seem to fit so I understand why it was left off, even if I was originally a bit salty about it. I guess I don't mind how bopless the album is, because she actually sounds pretty good vocally which I was afraid wouldn't be the case. We'll see if this has any staying power.

Whyamievenhere likes this.
  17. Sorry if this has already been asked but genuine question....what is the actual difference between Never Be The Same Track 1 and the radio edit? Did she actually put the same song on twice? When OMG, I Have Questions and CITC are nowhere to be seen?

I've listened twice and it seems perfectly fine, not sure it warranted all the amazing critic reviews though? Although I enjoyed All These Years and Somethings Gotta Give, I relate to the lyrics a lot which always helps

18. This is a great debut, but honestly the sequencing is a disaster. I mean everyone in their right mind will have removed the Never Be The Same Again radio edit, which means the albums ends on Into It. No Thanks. I am not normally one for rejigging but this is begging for it. And for the cast off's to placed somewhere.
    Something's Gotta Give, She Loves Control, Inside Out are my favourite of the 'new' tracks.

19. It's "Just like nicotine, rushing me, touching me" on the radio edit instead of "Just like nicotine, heroine, morphine".

Florencia. and Ashling92 like this.
  20. I'm with everyone saying it's a cute album. Well constructed but a bit slight and I'm glad I was not the only one getting itchy by the end of it. I do think it lacks a little in the excitement department, and it's hard to see myself returning to it much. Never Be The Same did grow on me but I forgot about it completely a week later. However, I do think the album is a nice starting point for her career and I'm impressed how good her vocals generally are here.

Re: the reviews, I've always been annoyed that reviewers don't seem to score for "excitement" in performances, perhaps because it's hugely subjective. Perhaps it also doesn't matter much to them, because wanting to come back to something two months later isn't such a big deal when you're constantly inundated with new stuff to review. If you just score the album on how well constructed it is and how well it achieves its aims, 4/5 doesn't seem unreasonable.