Camila Cabello - Camila (Debut Album & Singles Discussion) | Page 250 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camila Cabello - Camila (Debut Album & Singles Discussion)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Hyrulian, Oct 14, 2016.

?

Was going solo at this time a good idea?

Poll closed May 16, 2017.
  1. Yes, she's gonna KILL it!

11.8%
  2. She'll flop harder than Nicole Scherzinger.

42.9%
  3. She'll have a few top 10s and then fizzle out.

45.3%
  1. The album is magic in how it is totally bop-less but okay.

Whyamievenhere likes this.
  2. Into It; I'm into it.

3. It does give me a bit of a diet Yours Truly tea. It's not quite as good as that, but it's a generally well-crafted, well-written debut that does its job of introducing Camila the solo artist. It's not the thrilling, lightning in a bottle moment I think some were expecting, but it's a solid body of work for a debut. I hope it continues to be successful for her, because I do think there's a lot of promise there.

Never Be The Same, Havana, Inside Out, In The Dark and Into It are all very very good. The others feel like growers.

Vixen, Rem, bleedingheart80 and 6 others like this.
  4. This is such a warm, cohesive album. A bit too short maybe. Still, I think leaving some of the pre-album singles off was the right decision as they would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

5. Cute little bops to listen to while getting dressed in the moring. I like how this sounds so authentic compared to much of the horrible pop landscape these days. There are a few songs which production feels flat but even those are enjoyable.

6. Definitely gotta tack OMG onto it somewhere because I lowkey love it & it feels like the one extra bop it’s missing.

Txetxu likes this.
  7. Album is out 3 minutes
    PJers be like WELL IM ONLY KEEPING TRACK 8

Florencia., Mushroom, Vixen and 23 others like this.
  8. If OMG's production was tweaked a little, it would fit perfectly on the album and give it the extra bop that it needs. The other 2 would stick out completely though so I'm glad they got scrapped.

TheDangerZone and Whyamievenhere like this.
  9. Into It is now my favourite, it makes me feel like a happy flirty 18 year old. I love it.

10. Into It, Inside Out and In the Dark are all bops.

Maybe she should stick to releasing songs that begin with I.

11. It sort of purrs along rather than pouncing but its also really listenable and breezy which should work well for the casual streaming figures

12. Just realized why I like “Never be the same” verses. It sounds like “Goodbye Horses”. Someone’s watching “Silence Of The Lambs”?

All the songs are inoffensive with Havana being the crown jewel. The short track list saves it.

Not a fan of her personally but a cohesive debut this is.

Whyamievenhere, Charmander and Raichu like this.
  13. In The Dark is probably my third favorite now after Havana and Never Be The Same. It gives me No Doubt Rock Steady vibes.

14. Just heard Never Be The Same on the radio while driving home from work. There’s no way it’ll be a Havana sized hit but I hope it finds some success.

15. Has it been pointed out Consequences & Inside Out were put into Best Of The Week on iTunes' main page?

Doesn't mean much now when the most streamed album tracks usually become the singles, but "hmm" if those are the ones they want to test public reception to.

16. Consequences should definitely be the obligatory ballad single. Although we may get more than 1 of those from this album.

17. “Inside Out” was teased as a follow up back when “Havana” and “OMG” were released, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they go with that. You can see it in this image:

[​IMG]

Also, I haven’t seen these posted:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

joe_alouder, Diet Pop!, Vixen and 9 others like this.
  18. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

This album is so featherweight to the point of being its detriment. I should not be on track 6 of a 10-track album waiting for it to end. Consequences, Real Friends, and Something's Gotta Give all being as bare-bones as they are in a row was particularly draining.

It's all just so airy and inessential and...not good, which I was kind of suspecting because I really like Never Be the Same but find it to be a little awkwardly produced, and Havana (and OMG) always seemed to be a weird one-off thing anyway. Shame that it actually came to fruition, but here's hoping they can quickly get this era out of the way and move onto her My Everything next.

Diet Pop!, ohnostalgia, Vixen and 3 others like this.
  19. My least fave is definitely Into It. I know everyone loves a good sex bop, but the difference between that + Never Be The Same is how empty Into It feels. There's no passion or point. It's just fluffed air.

The rest is all pretty good. She Loves Control is definitely overrated. Real Friends is a bit whiny. Never Be The Same, Inside Out, Consequences, & In The Dark are all pretty great.

Also, the radio edit tacked on to the album does not exist to me. Into It is the closer.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Island likes this.
  20. This album is really bloody dull. Into It is good but deserves a much bigger chorus. Madison Bear and Camila share a similar voice and the kind of songs they make are interchangeable but Camila lacks a serious edge in her songs. I’m unsure if that’s youth/naivety/inexperience or just her general personality. Also, justice for Crown. The album opener that never was.

I honestly expected so much more. The lyrics are so cliche and asinine on Inside Out, In The Dark, Real Friends etc that it’s offputting. When the tracksare A’s sparse as these are it really puts focus on the lyrics and if this is Camila’s way of showing us what she has to say then I’d rather she’d have stayed quiet.

The irony here is that if you took the best of the Fifth Harmony selftitled and the best of Camila’s self titled you’d get yourself one pretty incredible record. Shame.

Ferk likes this.