Carrie Underwood - Cry Pretty, because the album's out in September | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carrie Underwood - Cry Pretty, because the album's out in September

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Voodoo, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Lori McKenna has got me even more perched, I love her writing.

2. Ok, I'm back on board. Let's hear this thing.

irishlamb likes this.

3. Carrie's Fireflies era is coming.

4. Wow, out tomorrow? I hate that cover but loving this release rollout.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  5. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Liz Rose is also great, was Taylor's co-writer for first few albums and Hillary works best with these two. Excited for this!

6. Lyric video

Hmmmmm

7. Listened to it twice there and I still can’t remember how it goes. How disappointing.

Definitely not what I was hoping for, but as someone else pointed out: her lead singles have never been overly amazing.

8. It’s a grower, gets better as it goes along too!

9. Too overwrought and a good minute too long as well.

It’s a bit draggy for a single, though radio will probably play it.

Really not country, though. That rock guitar solo!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  10. It's a bit nothing-y, isn't it? Hopefully fits Carrie Lead mold of being 'nowhere near the best thing on the record'.

11. I hated Lori McKenna’s songs on Fireflies. A series of drab, overlong ballads that killed the album for me.

12. I am struck by this. I just love those vocal runs she does in the middle-8 and outro combined with that guitar leading her into adlib frenzy. I do agree the chorus is a bit weak and on the surface (but consequently therefore easier accesible?).

13. As always, she sounds great but it's not really lead single material.

14. It's just a bit same old isn't it?

15. Not into this at all, yikes.... and yes alienate girls who don’t wear mascara, Queen.

Still for the life of me I refuse to believe “Renegade Runaway” wasn’t the lead single for Storyteller.

POPGASM likes this.
  16. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

I really like this! Aside from the fact that the lyrics are dumb as hell (which is...worrying, especially coming off of something as stalely written as "The Champion"), I love the rock power ballad vibe it's got going on.

I have to admit though that this is the first time ever that I've noticed a lack of progression. Not that there's been a massive shift sonically album to album since Some Hearts, but this is the first time that I've thought to myself "this could've been on Carnival Ride".

(Also I'm a little confused by everyone saying her lead singles aren't always amazing/good representations of the album etc.? She's only ever dropped the ball with "Smoke Break". Otherwise "Jesus Take the Wheel", "So Small", "Cowboy Casanova", "Good Girl", and "Something In the Water" if it counts - all 10/10).

17. After the last album’s singles run, this is pretty underwhelming.

18. Alright, so. I do hear a different vibe to the production. It feels less polished than I expected from her and based on the single cover. She sounds amazing, per usual, but the song itself isn't that compelling. Maybe it's a grower. I'm still interested to hear the entire album, though.

19. I like this quite a lot actually. It certainly doesn't scream lead single but it's a good song that sounds like the sort of thing that will keep growing on people with more listens rather than jumping out on first play.

Add as has already been said, Smoke Break was a bad lead single but the album was still great because it was literally the weakest thing on it.

ohnostalgia, send photo and xOJakeXo like this.