Country Music Discussion | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Country Music Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by MollieSwift21, Jan 16, 2011.

1. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

I thought I'd make one sense there seems like quite a few people that like country music on here.

I'll start it off by saying I have been obseesed with Sara Evans new song Little Bit Stronger lately.

2. Re: Country music general discussion

I've been listening to Josh Turner. So far only the singles, will make time to have a look into the album tracks, any fan recommendations?

3. Re: Country music general discussion

The Dixie Chicks - Wide Open Spaces is my favourite country album. Natalie Maines has one of my favourite singing voices of all time.

This is a great great country song from 2005 that everybody should listen to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIHb7Px35gA&fmt=18 (Caitlin Cary & Thad Cockrell - Second Option)

4. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Re: Country music general discussion

Not a huge fan of Josh Turner so I can't really suggest but I do love Firecracker song

I love the song Wide Open Spaces though I'm not sure how I feel about them personally.

5. Re: Country music general discussion

I'm so excited for Carrie Underwood and Kellie Pickler to release new material. Carrie's recently leaked acoustic demo for Oklahoma Wind is just breathtaking. How it didn't make Play On is beyond me, I really hope it makes her next album.

Well, well, well! I had absolutely no idea Leighton Meester's 'Stronger' (from Country Strong) was a cover!

I just had a listen to Sara's version and she is probably a better vocalist but I much prefer Leighton's version, perhaps it's because I'm so used to it though.

That leads me onto wanting Leighton Meester to record a country album, her songs in Country Strong are brilliant, much better than Gwyneths.

6. Re: Country music general discussion

My favourite country song has to of course be by none other than Queen Dolly though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NidVUCC42N4

I need to organise another one of my 'Hoedowns' soon.

7. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Apprently Carrie label thought Oklahome Wind was too much like another song on Play On I forget which one I think it was Someday When I Stop Loving You

I also think Evans and Meester Stronger are both on the country strong album so neither is really a cover? It works perfectly for Sara because of her recent events in her life with that stupid ex husband of hers.

8. Re: Country music general discussion

I guess it is a bit similar but I'm not sure it's similar enough to warrant not putting it on there, it's such a shame.

Ahh, I see, I only bought the Gwyneth/Leighton tracks, I'll probably take a listen to the rest of the album(s) after I've seen the movie.

9. Re: Country music general discussion

I never used to like Country Music; then the whole new country thing with Randy Travis, Garth Brooks, etc in the late 80s/early 90s made it less "Nashville" and more appealing to Brits like me. Nanci Griffith might even have been the first country act whose album I bought back then.

Now, I have hundreds of CDs in my collection by country(ish) acts.

EG.

10. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Yea before there 80's there seems to be very few country artist I like with a few exceptions, the oldest I can go back to liking is Patsy Cline lover her songs and she had a great personality from what I can tell.

11. Re: Country music general discussion

I mostly don't like country pop acts like Taylor Swift. If I want to listen to country music I will listen to country, not country pop.

In saying that though I like some Hannah Montana country songs.

12. Re: Country music general discussion

C&W just had an image problem, especially in Britain, which took time to overcome. It sort of morphed into an offshoot of Americana with elements of Rock; you'd have Garth Brooks covering Billy Joel songs, kd lang making an album that sounded like gentler-style REM..and so the boundaries between the genres, and the stigma attached to Country Music, just began to fade away.

Nanci Griffith, Steve Earle, Dwight Yoakam, kd lang, Randy Travis, Lyle Lovett...these kind of acts became known more as just singer/songwriters, as musicians, people who made quality records, rather than any cartoonish, or too Yankee-fied, version of C&W. Now, of course, since Shania and Taylor Swift, Country is pretty much basic pop/rock music with some trimmings.

I'm fortunate in that one of my main used-store haunts has a massive source of Country/Americana CDs both new and old. I've got most of my stuff from there, I expect.

EG.

13. Re: Country music general discussion

It's probably my favourite genre of music.

My favourite female artist of all time is Dolly (Yes even more so than Cher!!!) with Tanya Tucker and Loretta Lynn easily in my alltime top 10.

My all time favourite male artist is Glen Campbell whose late 60's early 70's work is incredible.

This is my favorite country song ever............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or-dOfa23jg

Dolly's songs with stories are second to none.

Not into modern country stars as much as those from the 70's but Martina McBride's 'Independence Day' and The Dixie Chicks 'Not TReady To Make Nice' are awesome and Alison Moorer's 'Miss Fortune' is one of my favourite albums ever. On a more blegrass tip Gillian Welch is amazing and I also love Sugarland.

I really can't stand Shania Twain. Lovely lady but horrible music and apart from her first few song ('Any Man of Mine/'You're Still The One' etc) not 'country' music in the slightest.

14. Re: Country music general discussion

Glen Campbell's classic work is just sublime. Johnny Cash is a legend now (rightly so), but nobody much cared about him in the 80s, so that's one positive to come out of this renaissance.

Love some Allison Moorer myself too. Alison Krauss has the voice of angel.

EG.

15. Re: Country music general discussion

Love it. Dolly's signature hmmm at the start of a song.

16. Re: Country music general discussion

I love Taylor Swift to bits, she's a wee star.

17. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Dolly is a great songwriter Jolene is my favorite by her and in the running of my favorite of all time. I also, love Allison  Krauss voice especially in the duet with Brad Whiskey Lullaby.

18. Re: Country music general discussion

I love Jolene a lot. Mindy Smith did a great version of the song. I've never gotten deep into older acts backcatalogues like Dolly's and Johnny's but I really feel I need to!

I love Country music though. My favorite Country male singer is Dierks Bentley. If you like Tim McGraw type stuff I think you'd like him. And Miranda Lambert is my favorite Country female singer. Crazy Ex Girlfriend is kind of amazing.

19. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

I like Dierks ballad and I have all 3 of Miranda cds but it wasnt until her last one that I feel like she really made a complete album. I've also never gone to deep in backcatalogues either, I barly keep up with new music.

Another classic is Fancy by Reba

20. Re: Country music general discussion

Miranda Lambert is amazing.

I go through periods of loving country music. I used to love an American singer called Dottie West when I was younger.