Country VS Rate: Winner | Page 13 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Country VS Rate: Winner

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by MollieSwift21, Mar 12, 2017.

1. For what it's worth, I will assume and believe that Merry Go 'Round would have won if we were rating Kacey's first album.

MollieSwift21 likes this.
  2. Dime Store Cowgirl is just stunning. It wasn't going to be my 11 originally but the lyrics have enveloped me over the past couple of months. The message could be trite but, as always, Kacey sells it with conviction thanks to its intimate storytelling. It's just the perfect blend of a humbling nostalgia and innate happiness with a carefree, soaring chorus to boot. The pair of opening lines just set the scene perfectly: "I've had my picture made with Willie Nelson / Stayed in a hotel with a pool" is so evocative, encapsulating small town sensibilities with big-time dreams. I love it.

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 1:00 PM
    Jersey, ohnostalgia and MollieSwift21 like this.
  3. 5. Burning House
    4. Once
    3. I Could Use A Love Song
    2. 80's Mercedes
    1. The Blade

A boy can dream right?

Jersey and MollieSwift21 like this.
  4. 2014

2014 Moderator

Maren deserves the whole top 3 tibb.

5. 5. The Blade
    4. I Could Use A Love Song
    3. Once
    2. 80's Mercedes
    1. Burning House

6. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Finishing in fifth place is...

5. The Blade - 9.27
    Highest Score: 11 (@Jersey @MollieSwift21)
    10: (@Reboot @Espeon @Robsolete @unnameable @Beginner @Remorque)
    Lowest Score: 6 @Pecans

The title track of Ashley Monroe's third studio album, this was penned by Marc Beeson, Jamie Floyd and Allen Shamblin. It was the only song on the record that Monroe didn't write, but she stated it's the one that resonated with her the most. "'The Blade' is such a special song to me," she said. "I have been on the receiving end of that pain. It actually makes me physically hurt when I sing it... but in a good way." and "I'm so thankful to the writers of that song," Monroe added. "They talked about my heartbreak in a way that I've never heard. That's hard to do." Side note Shamblin also co-wrote "I Can't Make You Love Me".

This song really just captures the moment so perfectly and it is what I love so much about country music. There's so much vulnerability in her voice like its so close to breaking down. She's obviously hurting so much in the song and doesn't say anything negative about the ex making it harder. The lyrics are just incredible too. The goodbye/ im still your friend line is something we've all heard or said. It just so painful when it happens. There's the risk you run when you love is so simple but so evocative. Her voice on the "I thought we were both in all the way" in crushing. Also the fact that she calls him baby a few times throughout the song showing its not over for her is clever.

@Jersey wrote "Fuck. Me. Up. Like, you ever just hear a song that you know and feel like will become a reality for you? This one right here, this is it. Not going to lie, a little disappointed to find out that this was the only track Ashley didn't co-write for the album. But, given the emotion she displays and still wears her heart on her sleeve during the duration, it's enough to forgive. Lyrically, it's so simple yet it still cuts just as deep as a Cutco. This one helped me through my last break-up, in finding comfort that you can be the one to catch the blade and come out okay in the end. Just because you're hurting now, doesn't mean it's forever.".

@unnameable wrote "This is everything I loved about 90s country". Agreed. @Espeon exclaimed "This was originally my favorite song on the album and my 11 nearly got it but it was snatched at the last minute.
    The song is beautiful and the metaphor of the blade is original and cuts deep. " @Beginner stated "Ashley takes that handy knife and plunges it right into my heart every time I listen. This song is such a great illustration of how relationships are just built to be uneven. There's no such thing as fair in love." @Sprockrooster added "For you, it's over; for me, it's not, I kept trying and you just stopped" is killing me. Such common words, but so damn powerful put together like this. Overall these lyrics are great in this. "You caught it by the handle, and I caught it by the blade." fits that profile easily too.". @Reboot proclaimed "This does THINGS to me. Gorgeous song. It’s obviously a love song, but I like that it can be interpreted in different ways too.)"

7. @Pecans 6 really? Shame on you sis but seriously this should have been my 11. Sad to see it fall but top 5 is a great position.

8. The Blade was the first song I heard by Ashley and was instantly mesmerised. Very nearly got my 11.

9. Not surprised, I'm very content with #5 but 80's Mercedes feels out of its depth here in the Top 4 despite being a great track.

10. #5 is a great position but I'm slightly bitter that The Blade didn't do just that little bit better.

11. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

After a delay from drinking a bottle of wine and watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt finishing in 4th...

This song of regret finds Maren Morris looking back a relationship hoping the ex remembers the love they once shared. She penned the tune after a random encounter with the mother of her former boyfriend at the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles. Morris recalled "It was just a random Wednesday morning, the week after we ended things... I saw his mom at the top of this, like, hill, and I thought she was a mirage or something. I went to write later that day, and I didn't have any ideas, so I was like, 'shit, I think I just need to write about what happened today and have sort of a moment, because it was just the craziest thing.'"

I liked this one a lot from the start but it really came to life for me after the Grammy performance.

@Sprockrooster felt similarly "This would have been an 8 if it wasnot for that performance. Totally elevated to a great high now. And I am left to wonder how I missed the beauty of this song before and I feel tragic for needing a performance to show me what's good. " @Jersey stated "I didn't think she had it in her to deliver a torch ballad, but here we are. Soaring, huge and monstrous, what a way to end a rather great debut." @Espeon added "A strong emotional closing to the original album. Don't forget you loved me... once.". @Reboot "Stunning." @Pecans noted "Maren’s vocal in this is basically perfection. Once really sends the regular edition of the album out on a high." @Beginner wrote "Fantastic way to close the album.". @unnameable stated "Shockingly for Maren, this is only a good song rather than a great one"

12. I'm surprised I did not give Once a 10, but I guess I must not have wanted it to win. It's incredible, though.

13. Crap. I know I called for Once' head, but now it's here I feel bad. Maybe 80's Mercedes was a better song to lose from Maren. But that one would have hurt too. I just hope it isnot a Maren top 2. So I guess I am calling for 80's Mercedes now.

14. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

From the start it always came down to the final three songs.

15. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Finishing with the bronze...

3. 80's Mercedes - 9.9
    Highest Score: 11 (@unnameable @Beginner)
    10: (@Robsolete @Sprockrooster @2014 @Espeon @Reboot @Pecans @MollieSwift21 @ohnostalgia @Jersey @Remorque)
    Lowest Score: 8.5 (@KamikazeHeart)

On the song: "The meaning behind '80s Mercedes,' really it came out of a conversation with a girlfriend of mine. She was talking about this guy she was dating that had this amazing car, an 80s Mercedes, and I laughed and immediately wrote it down because I thought it would be an amazing title. I just wanted it to be sort of the Saturday night version of what Sunday morning was for 'My Church.' It's sort of the party version of being in the car and feeling something really special, and another connection to music." The song peaked at 74 on Hot 100 and number 12 on country charts.

This is massive jam. A lot of the other songs in the top 10 are more heartfelt but sometimes you just want the fun song. I'm pretty shocked this only peaked at 74. I could have seen it crossover even though that seems more rare to happen the last few years.

@Beginner wrote "The country answer to Teenage Dream and Style. Right from the already iconic opening piano notes, the pulsing beat makes it way under your skin and forces you to slowly straighten your back, put your chin up, and feel the hottest you've ever felt."

@unnameable stated " Instantly catchy, I can see why Maren's had so much commercial success. I was torn between 4 songs on this album and one or two on each of the others for my 11, but this won out slightly over the others.".

@Pecans added "Now this is a hit if I’ve ever heard one. The chorus seriously goes off - this is so Maren and so fun. The bridge is gold." @Reboot kept it short and sweet "Amazing". @Espeon added "I'm an 80's baby in my 70's Mercedes... This song should have been number one everywhere and nearly snatched my 11." @Sprockrooster got his wish "Not really sure if this is a country song, but who is mad as it is sounds like this. It gets my sPROCK on, so let me bop along.". @Jersey wrote "Evoking a weird sense of nostalgia, I can close my eyes and envision myself behind the wheel of a muscle car, coasting along the Pacific Coast Highway as the sun sets. Might just be my imagination but it's better that way. An absolute bop, through and through."

16. I really hope I Could Use a Love Song snatches the number one but I have a feeling my house is burning down on this rate, but a really strong top 10.

17. Losing those 2 songs was hard, but what an amazing top 2.

18. 80's Mercedes is fab, and although I'm sad to lose it... go Cam!

19. Holy shit .

9,9 average for #3?!!!?!

20. I'm Team I Could Use A Love Song.