Currents/I Like It When/Vega Intl: Man Down! | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Currents/I Like It When/Vega Intl: Man Down!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by AshleyKerwin, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Who is keeping Neon Indian with full album intact?
    AshleyKerwin likes this.
  2. I gave a few instrumentals 10s. There's one that would honestly be a worthy winner!
  3. 39. Taxi's Here- Tame Impala 6.192

Highest Score: @Untouchable Ace (9), @enjoy (8)
    Lowest Score: @happiestgirl (3), @Chezam (4), @Jwentz (4)

This song is about realizing the power you have as an individual and what your free will can do. I gave it a 6.5. It starts to pick up around the middle with a guitar and other instruments. Some people around the web compared to the closer of 2012’s Lonerism, Beverly Laurel. While it’s a decent song, I can see why it was a b side.
    Happiestgirl (3)- "Not a fan of how slow and odd this is".
    Remorque (6.5)- "Each time this song sets to take off, it doesn’t for a good three minutes and then when it finally does, it ain’t all that special…"
    Constantino (7.5)- "First of all, as a Charli XCX stan I am triggered by the title. The track is pretty and trippy, but like the other two bonus tracks, adds nothing of note to Currents as a body of work.

Let's celebrate with some more memorable taxis...

Remorque, constantino, Chezam and 4 others like this.
  4. [​IMG]

38. Hit Parade- Neon Indian- 6.227

Highest Score: @Jwentz (8), @inevitable (8), @2014 (8)
    Lowest Score: @Chezam (3)

I gave this a 5. As the first track to the album, Hit Parade is the syllabus day of Vega International Night School. It sounds like a cassette being rewinded before picking up, then some bloops and bleeps added in. I don’t know. It starts to get a disco-y beat towards the end. It samples a track called Wot by someone named Captain Sensible. DIYMag compares it to Vangelis' score for Blade Runner played vat ten times the speed.

Remorque (7.5)- Ethereal. Sets the tone for the album perfectly.

Here's a possible seizure inducing video that Neon Indian uploaded for the song.

5. The best one:

enjoy and AshleyKerwin like this.
  6. Wow, 3 whole eliminations without The 1975?

37. If I Believe You- The 1975- 6.246
    Highest Score: @inevitable (9) @Remorque (8)
    Lowest Score: @soratami (4) @happiestgirl (4)

I gave it a 7.5. A faux gospel moment of whatever. Matty sings about his lack of religious views that he’ll briefly mention in Nana. Like other songs that aren’t sure about faith, ranging from What if God Was One of Us to Wake Up Dead Man, Matty asks God about why he doesn’t believe in him and if that’s why bad things happen. What saves this for me from other quieter songs on this album is the choir on it. There's another reference to Lost My Head. Some reviewers compared it to D'angelo. I appreciate the jazz, the strings, the general sound of this. It makes me miss the 80's when people would be able to have left field jazz moments out of nowhere.
    Here's what you thought. Was Matty preaching to the choir or
    Happiestgirl is not impressed- "Goes on far too long”".
    Remorque says "Again, I think we’ve all been there… Not being religious, but when times are hard and you’re struggling, maybe thinking of turning to religion can be consoling. Them going full-on 90s R&B ballad on us, is a pleasant surprise. Who invited Kenny G theaux?".
    Constantino, who gave it a 7, said "I like the production (especially the sax that comes in at the end) and use of backing vocals, but otherwise I’m not too into this - the gospel and soul elements feel inauthentic.".

Here's a live performance of the track.

And here's a plug for my favorite song about religion, Penthouse Cloud by The Internet.
  7. MESS at me missing out on a Tori song! Yikes. At least I paid my dues with the cover.
    constantino likes this.
  8. I can’t at that Gold Dust cover.
    constantino and AshleyKerwin like this.
  9. One more for tonight...

36. Nana- The 1975- 6.262
    Highest Score: Me (8.5), @2014 (8)
    Lowest Score: @constantino (4), @Jwentz (4)
    Ugh this is just too personal to me. Like I read the lyrics for the first time in a long while and I’m just sad now. Go hug your family members if you’re reading this. As an acoustic moment that comes before She Lays Down, this song is an emotional wrap up to the album. While Matty's views on love, fame, and even drugs can seem extra at times, this is a true heartfelt letter to his grandmother, who passed away in 2014. You get more insight on why Matty might have turned from religion. The song picks up with some other subtle instruments but keeps the somber mood.

@happiestgirl -(7) "If I live past 72 I hope I’m half as cool as you’….let me go cry now”.
    @Remorque - (7.5) "I love how Matty’s not one to mince words and just say what’s on his mind. Such a sweet and honest tune. Especially that last line, which is fucking heartbreaking."
    But at least one person didn't like it... @constantino (4)- "This SHOULD be sweet but it’s just a bit creepy tbh. Not into this at all."

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    constantino and Chezam like this.
  10. 2014

2014 Moderator

noooooo Nana is so sad
    AshleyKerwin likes this.
  11. 35. Nangs- Tame Impala- 6.262
    Highest Score: @constantino (8), @inevitable (8)
    Lowest Score: @enjoy (4)

But is there something more than that?

This is an interlude that asks if there's something more than that. But is there more to the song than this? I don't think so. I'm not saying it needed to be a full fledged song. I'm just saying I need to be make better decisions at interludes and what to officially include in a rate. I think it could've been more interesting if it was stretched out into a full song, but currently, it's a 5.
    Genius adds "The song’s introduction sounds like a balloon filled with N2O being inhaled, which is the method used to get the gas into your system. The track does a good job of emulating the woozy, undulating feeling of being high on N2O." Honestly, I never knew or heard about this at all and I was interested in finding that out. It made for an easy cover. I guess you can say the song asks if there's more to life than being high? Let's ask Stacie Orrico.
    Here's what you thought:
    @Remorque (6): "This is a nice piece of ambiance, but I was left asking the exact same question as Kevin here…"
    @constantino (8): "The perfect palate-cleanser after the juggernaut that is Let It Happen." I never thought of it like that!
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  12. 34. The Ballad of Me and My Brain- The 1975- 6.823
    Highest Score: @enjoy (10)
    Lowest Score: @soratami (0)
    This was the first track which got both a 10 and a 0! Personally, I gave it a 9. This hits all my sweet spots for good instruments and sort of angsty lyrics disguised in a pop wrapper.
    Although it starts off with a choir and has the word ballad in the title, it's the complete opposite mood-wise. This song describes a mental breakdown of sorts in a humorous way- as your brain actually leaving your body. Honestly, even if it sounds dark, it's still a light moment for the album. Matty talks about meeting a parent of a fan while on the hunt for his cranium, and there's even a Britney shout out! A pretty short track, this song feels like a manic, upbeat frenzy. It was compared to Sting's stadium hits by Pitchfork, which I don't know enough to tell you if it's true or not.
    @soratami (0): "These vocals...." now sistren! We know the good sis Matthewr Healyesa is doing #that.
    @happiestgirl (7): "Short and sweet little ditty”".
    @Remorque (8):"Having the song open as it does, perfectly illustrates Matty having lost his mind after fame got to his head. His voice cracks and breaks all over the place, as if he’s fighting his inner demons and it has quite the effect on me as a listener. Lovely shout-out to that 2000 masterpiece too!"
    @constantino (8): "Finally, a song with structure and melody, rather than meandering for 4+ minutes. I appreciate Matty admitting that he’s a bit thick." Y*s we love a thicc legend.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  13. No major upsets so far, well done girls!
  14. Me talking about my unexpected hiatuses:

33. Disciples- Tame Impala- 6.858
    Highest Score: @happiestgirl (9) @inevitable (9)
    Lowest Score: @Chezam (5), @soratami (5)

This 1:48 track was released during an AMA Kevin had in 2015. One Reddit user asked Kevin "Since I'm too slow to think of anything, whats a question that you would like to be asked and have been wanting to answer?" and Kevin said "I'm waiting for someone to ask me if they can hear a new song...!". In a Rolling Stone interview, when comparing the song to Ariel Pink, Kevin says this:
    That song was about Seventies AM radio – an upbeat song, but it's totally different from the rest of the album. If I had an idea for a song or a soundscape, I would just go for it. I wouldn't try to make it fit into a preconceived notion of what Tame Impala was. If I had an idea for a song, I would just go for it and take it to its own extant, rather than try to box it in. One of my mottos for Currents was "give the song what it deserves." How would this song flourish? If the song could tell me what it wants, what can I give it? I tried not to dictate it with any sensible or logical decisions.
    I guess I can see the 70's AM radio meaning. I mean, I can't tell you anything about it but it sounds like in 70's AM radio, he's free to experiment around with sounds (Cause I was still unsure/But it's something I'm used to; But I can tell you things/That I can't say to anyone) and the positive reception (And I can tell by your face/No one's ever been rude to you ). I guess the last part can relate to when you fall out of love and grow out of idealism. I don't know.

Here are your thoughts!
    @happiestgirl (9) said "Short and perfect bop".
    @Remorque (7) said "A lovely interlude, though this one’s maybe a little more fleshed out. They’ve made some psychedelic pop before, but this is probably one of the most straightforward in their catalogue.".

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  15. 32. Baby's Eyes- Neon Indian- 6.98
    Highest Score: Me (10), @Consideration (9.75)
    Lowest Score: @enjoy (3), @happiestgirl (3)

Wow.... I'm genuinely shocked to see this one go early. From the intro alone, this feels like an epic song tucked in an album of interludes and short, wacky, upbeat songs. The lyrics are pretty straightforward, discussing a murder that was either witnessed or participated in. It deals with the loss of innocence. Whether you're looking at it as the album's only moral core or a general backlash thing for the 80's (with violence crime rising in inner cities, the racial/gender/sexual acceptance of disco ending/cocaine use rising/HIV becoming a thing/Charles in Charge existing) losing their chill, happy go lucky vibe. A review on Grantland even asks if "home" exists in Vega Intl. Night School, or if home is simply the subway stop you frequent the most. You can hear the angst throughout this slowed down song as well as on the guitar. It ends with a jam session, which I guess was too much loss of innocence for some of us!
    In the oral history, Jason Faries said he heard this song and decided it needed drums so they contacted Jordan Richardson, who works as Ringo Starr's drummer. They wanted a LCD Soundsystem/dead dry disco vibe and were able to get it going. In another interview, Alan discusses how he had to change the guitar because it originally sounded too psych rock.

Although it's not a single, there is a visual for it on Neon Indian's Youtube page, which I used for the artwork. Apparently it has been Shazamed 2,049 times. One review from Remezcla compares this to a Pink Floyd song, which I don't know enough about to assess. It also reminds me of the soundtrack for Drive (was the movie made jut for the soundtrack? Probably) and the Foster the People interlude "Orange Dreams".

@happiestgirl (3) says: "Slow and I hate the wormy synth noises". The wormy synth noises hate you! Trust! I'm kidding .
    @Remorque (8) says: "This one never actually got on my radar before, but after relistening to it for this rate, it’s definitely leaving its mark. It’s kinda his unique spin on a dark 80s ballad. I can imagine the purple streets he’s wandering in when listening to this.".
    @constantino (8) says: "Perhaps a bit tew long but the production is incredible; I just love those muddy, droning synths. I do however find the outro a bit unnecessary, especially the lacklustre guitar solo."

16. 31. Smiley Sticker- Neon Indian- 7.015
    Yes, I used Snapchat. Blewp.
    Highest Score: @constantino (10), @CorgiCorgiCorgi (9.5)
    Lowest Score: @Chezam (5.5), @happiestgirl (5), @enjoy (4)
    This bonus track acts as an alternate closing for the album, if you don't like News From the Sun. This is a bonkers electropop instrumental, so it feels more like a proper bookends compared to News From the Sun. I don't mind it and I even gave it a 7.5 but over Baby's Eyes? Bye at our taste. I would love for Charli to sample this. Can we get Charli to work with Neon Indian?
    @happiestgirl gave this a 5. "This song... confused me".
    @Remorque gave it a 6, saying "It’s an okay enough bonus track, but it really wouldn’t have slotted in well enough on the regular album."
    @constantino gave this a 10, adding " I initially groaned when I saw there was still another Neon Indian track, but this turned out to be one of my favourites from this section - the production style is bright, trippy, colourful and exactly what I entered this rate to hear!"
    And we'll wrap this post with @enjoy giving it a 4, and adding a shady "(I'm sorry but i think he is better at interludes then full fledged songs.)". Wow!
  17. 30. Smut!- Neon Indian- 7.062
    Highest Score: @Consideration (9) @constantino (9)
    Lowest Score: @enjoy (4) @happiestgirl (3)
    This song details a one night stand encountered in an adult toy store. You can assume it's someone outside of his league, as he says "I guess you had nothing to do". She's only available after sundown, out of being an #iconique #businessfish making #moneymoves. Alan describes himself as a "loaded magazine" before asking if that's "uncouth".
    Then he name drops the title of the record and even talks directly to us plebeian listeners. The car ends with mentioning... traffic jams. Wonder what that means.

The song is a little basic Vaporwave 101 I guess but I like the lyrics and innuendos. Prince-ian, almost? Here's what you thought:
    @happiestgirl (3)- "I couldn’t even finish this one".
    @Remorque (7.5)-"This one actually continues the messy vibe with all the loops and synths being gelled together and somehow sounding quite cohesive… It’s a lot airier than the previous tracks and is a welcome rest after the more straightforward songs. ALSO: we’ve all been there, eh?".
    @constantino (9) says "Very Ariel Pink/Connan Mockasin - I love the warped 60s/70s lounge pop appeal of this track. Lot’s of great elements going on here."
  18. We're taking a break from your regularly scheduled Neon Indian takedown for something different...
    29. Past Life- Tame Impala- 7.096
    Highest Score: @Consideration (9.75)
    Lowest Score: @happiestgirl (4)
    I have no clue why but I used to treat this as an interlude. Mess. I think it's still italicized as an interlude in the first post, dd. It starts to fit in with the rest of the album after the initial pitched down vocals. This song is at the midpoint of the album and shows a temporary reversion to the narrator's pre break up self where he's obsessive over what went wrong and wonders what it would be like going back and how to go about it.
    You know when you're showering and just imagining being a celebrity and going on a talk show and talking about everyone who wronged you? Or if you're messier, a Real Housewives franchise? Well, this song is that moment for Kevin and it's triggered by a rear view mirror. Kevin wants to work it out, asking what's the worse that could happen, insisting there's no harm in trying, and trying to rationalize if she has the same number.
    Genius says the vocals are pitched down to show how silly and out of place the idea of going back to an ex is, which, well, you can let be the judge. NME describes this as yacht rock. Unfortunately, my genre of transportation based music would probably be Uber Pool rock, so I can't comment on how true that is.
    I'm going to choose to read into this, but he has a line "Well, somewhere between a lover and a friend". Tame Impala covered Confide in Me, a Kylie Minogue song, once. Kylie has a B Side from the Body Language era called Almost a Lover, which has the lyrics "You're more than a friend and almost a lover". Huh. Makes ya think.
    Here's what you had to say:
    @happiestgirl ,who gave it the lowest score, said "Not a fan of the spoken word bits".
    @Remorque (9) said "We’ve all had this conversation with ourselves / best hunty, n’est-ce pas?". Ain't that the truth!
    @constantino (8) says "This is such a weird little song and the warped vocals are a bit jarring at times, but the refrain is one of my favourite moments on the album.".

And to leave things off for the night, here are "past life" pictures of Matty and Alan!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  19. 2014

2014 Moderator

Past Life is brilliant! I'm shocked.
  20. Aww I love Past Life!!
    Chezam, AshleyKerwin and 2014 like this.