Donna Summer | Page 62 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donna Summer

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by idratherjack, Mar 17, 2007.

1. I thought she had completely turned her back on Love To Love You Baby post-bornagainwhateverthatstuffis

2. She did and she refused to perform them for more than 25 years but she did end up embracing them in the later stages of her career.

3. Just reminded myself of the chart run of Melody Of Love in the UK.

21-32-61

What the actual fuck? Should have been massive.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  4. I know! Total madness. Such a good song.

5. She needed to work with Clivilles and Cole much earlier (aside from their brilliant mixes of Love's About to Change My Heart). If she wasn't going to work with SAW again, she should have went with C&C.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  6. Yes, Donna and C and C worked well together.

7. C&C are an act I never got into. I love a handful of their mixes but the majority are not my style. What do you regard as their best work? Any non-SAW mix of Love's About To Change My Heart pretty much castrates the song for me.

8. I think C&C were responsible for a lot of good remixes at the time but when I think of them I only really think of the big hits like Sweat and Things That Make You Go Hmmm.

I'm sure they did some good single mixes but I just can't think of any off top of my head. Perhaps because I just think of them as the definitive mixes?

Did they do Ce Ce Peniston's stuff?

EDIT: No that was Hurley (who also did Kym Sims)

Didn't they do Mariah's album?

EDIT: Yes - Make It Happen is therefore the best thing they ever did!

9. Didn't they do an Aretha song that was used in a Sister Act movie? I think I liked that.

phoenix123 likes this.
  10. Yes I loved that too!

11. This might be of interest....

Forty years ago this Sunday (July 2nd 1977) the single of I Feel Love was released & BBC Radio 2 are broadcasting a documentary ''The Summer of I Feel Love'' at 10pm this Monday (3rd July)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08wdb6y

12. Thanks for this, sounds good. 40 years on, and still so timeless.

13. there is this as well
    [​IMG]

14. That cover! Looks fab, Donna never seems to get much recognition as a music legend at times. Or at least as much as she should do.

15. I wholeheartedly agree. I go almost daily to the central station's newsstand to see if there's anything worth getting. I saw a golden mixmag and picked it up, there was a guy on the cover that I didn't recognize, and then skimmed through, and I saw the feature on the song. Then I though, hmmm maybe (I tend to buy and never read them!), and while I was looking for a better copy, I saw the alternate cover!
    It was a no-brainer. Donna gets zero recog, so at least even if it's for I Feel Love (again), I was happy. The shot it stunning.

biffy77 and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  16. It's amazing to see her get some of the credit she rightfully deserves. What a timeless tune.

biffy77 likes this.
  17. Aww that's a cool story! And yes, whilst there is certainly more to Donna than just I Feel Love, at least she is getting some overdue respect.

UnionJackMix likes this.
  18. [​IMG]

Just absolute pop perfection this album. She and SAW were magic together, for all too a brief time.

19. I got Lady of the Night on vinyl this week. Had to get it from the Netherlands but it is one of my favourites - I love 'The Hostage'.

biffy77 and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  20. Her first album must be super rare I think.