Emmy Nominations 2012 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emmy Nominations 2012

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by youthless, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Announced yesterday:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...nations-2012-list-20120718,0,521498.htmlstory

Most nominations:

Mad Men (AMC) – 17
    American Horror Story (FX) – 17
    Hatfields & McCoys (History) – 16
    Downton Abbey (PBS) – 16
    Hemingway & Gellhorn (HBO) – 15
    Modern Family (ABC) – 14
    Saturday Night Live (NBC) – 14
    Breaking Bad (AMC) – 13
    Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia (PBS) – 13
    30 Rock (NBC) – 13
    Boardwalk Empire (HBO) – 12
    Game of Thrones (HBO) – 11

COMEDY SERIES

"The Big Bang Theory" (CBS)
    "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (HBO)
    "Girls" (HBO)
    "Modern Family" (ABC)
    "30 Rock" (NBC)
    "Veep" (HBO)

DRAMA SERIES

"Boardwalk Empire" (HBO)
    "Breaking Bad" (AMC)
    "Downton Abbey" (PBS)
    "Game of Thrones" (HBO)
    "Homeland" (Showtime)
    "Mad Men" (AMC)

Delighted to see the love for Girls, Veep, Betty White, the cast of The Good Wife and Kathy Griffin but annoyed at lack of for shows like Parks & Rec, Revenge, Enlightened and Up All Night.

Also, noms for ASHLEY JUDD, BRENDA STRONG and MICHAEL J.FOX (twice).

Discuss??

2. No love for Fringe as usual.

3. I'd love to see a Boardwalk Empire sweep. It's the best thing I've watched in years.

4. Isn't it very boring?

5. Parks & Rec should have gotten a nomination for Best Comedy Series.

I'm not a fan of House, but it was just rude to snub Hugh Laurie.

I don't like how Best Drama Series has become a circle jerk of 'high culture' shows when there's shows like The Good Wife that are being snubbed for what feels like just being on one of the Big Four channels.

6. Same here! I'm surprised they haven't got any nominations in 'best supporting actor' - the supporting cast is huge but stellar. I don't really think there's a weak link. But I have to say, although Steve Buscemi is quietly amazing as Nucky, I'm team Bryan Cranston for Best Actor.

7. The Parks & Rec snub is RIDICULOUS, this past season has been incredible - and Girls and Big Bang Theory getting nominated over it?! Crazy. Glad Amy Poehler was nominated for acting though, seriously hope she wins that.

The whole "Emmys suck off Modern Family x100" thing is getting tired, too - I mean, it's a great show and this past season was very funny but FOUR nominations for best supporting actor?! The only one who really should be nominated there is Ty Burrell, potentially Jesse Tyler Ferguson. Hoping Bill Hader wins that category though, he's one of SNL's funniest. Julie Bowen and Sophia Vergara are both more deserving of their nominations, my hope for that category is between Julie Bowen (she seriously steals the show in Modern Family) and Kristen Wiig.

I would have *really* loved to see someone get a nod for Cougar Town, Christa Miller and Busy Phillips are both deserving of a Supporting Actress nod, similarly I think Allison Brie or Gillian Jacobs, and Donald Glover for Community. Ah well!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  8. Absolutely not! Properly gripping stuff.

Also, am I alone in not understanding the number of nods given to Downton? Sherlock has earned its nominations for sure (and I'd be inclined to say it deserves another in Andrew Scott's Moriarty), but Downton is just a bit pants. Is it just being fawned over because it plays up to the Old World British stereotypes so much?

9. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

The thing about the Emmys, more than the Grammys and the Oscars, is they are more of a charade as each year passes by.

Downton Abbey produced nine episodes last year. Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones produce twelve episodes a year. (I'm choosing these three because I think they most benefit from the shortened seasons of all the nominees.) Now compare that to The Good Wife or Parenthood, which produced 22 and 18 episodes this past season respectively. How is this a level playing field? As the way people consume television changes rapidly, only live sports are left as "appointment" televison. I mean, I can't think of one network show that is hailed by critics, watched by 14 million people, and possesses the sort of "buzz" Mad Men or Homeland does.

The worst part is the last time network shows like that did exist - Lost and Desperate Housewives - they huge risks. Of course, they were also big award gainers in their early years too.

I think I may have gone off the mark here.