Fleetwood Mac | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fleetwood Mac

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Unsayshuhbul, Feb 6, 2012.

1. So ever since that Glee episode, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours has been frequently playing on my iPod, I absolutely love it. And since then, I've always tried to see what else the band has in their catalogue, but have been put of by the sheer number of albums, lineups and what not.

I was wondering if anyone on here had a "starter guide" of sorts for the band? Like, what are their best non-Rumours (or Landslide) songs? other perfect albums? etc.

I know it's not exactly pop, but I'm sure theres someone on here that can help me.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

If you have Rumours, you should check out Fleetwood Mac (1975) and Tusk. But also Tango In The Night.

Avoid anything post-1987. It's awful.

3. RJF

RJF

Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

I can't recommend the thread AugustMoon linked to enough. I wouldn't have navigated Fleetwood Mac with any kind of purpose without the helpful advice I got in there.

4. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

I'm not an expert on Fleetwood Mac by any means but I can't recommend their 1987 album Tango In The Night highly enough. It's in my top 10 albums of all time with not a bad track on it. You probably already know the big hits Little Lies and Everywhere without realising it. It really is a pretty perfect pop album.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tango-Night-Fleetwood-Mac/dp/B000002L9Y

I've also got their 2009 Greatest Hits which covers their whole career and should give you an idea of what you like.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Very-Best-Fleetwood-Mac/dp/B002N3GD44

5. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

This has prompted me to try Fleetwood Mac again.

I'm still not getting it.

6. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

I got into Fleetwood Mac recently because of a mixture of Glee and somebody in my office brainwashing me.

Rumours is a fantastic album, really brilliant and I regularly play it. I also have Tango In The Night which is great, and The Dance (a live album), and the songs really come alive live.

7. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

Thanks guys, going to take a look at the albums listed here, and have a read of the linked thread!

8. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

Your life will be now immeasurably better for it!

9. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

Despite not actually liking them I bought 'Rumours' and 'The Essential...' today.

I have no idea why I insist on buying records that I'll never get round to playing. You'd think 23,000 songs was enough in my iTunes???

10. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

Haha! I share this affliction, although most of the time I have every intention of playing the CDs.

Rumours is great, but a wee bit overrated. It's not even got their best work on it, but what probably helps its cause is the complete lack of filler. It's a very strong piece of work, but Stevie's done lots of even more sublime songs, as his Lindsey and even Christine's best compositions aren't on Rumours either.

11. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

Now you tell me???

It's such a classic I just figured I should own it and think the early stuff might be more to my liking to bought the other CD

God knows why I bought a book about them though. It cost £11. What was I thinking???

12. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

Ha, Rumours is still a classic album. No money or time wasted by investing in it. It's just, if I were making a fantasy Mac album, from the best stuff each principal member has done, not many Rumours tracks would be on it. Apart from The Chain, probably, as that is simply immense as a complete band performance.

13. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

After a week or two indulging... I must say, the , Tusk and Tango in The Night albums are simply amazing! The first two combined with Rumours makes for a brilliant trilogy of albums, and Tango in The Night is classic.

Starting to get into Mirage, and hoping to look into Bunkingham and Nick's solo work soon too.

14. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

You have impeccable taste.

15. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

Glad you like Tango In The Night, it's a perfect album for me! I still like it today as much as I did when I bought it on a school trip all those years ago.

Your thread has inspired me to listen to Rumours and Tusk which I've had on CD for years but never listened to (there just aren't the hours in the day to listen to all the music I buy!)

I will put them onto my iPod and give them a proper listen.

16. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

I actually re-bought the 1-disc edition of Tusk at the weekend, for the edit of Sara.

17. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

Oh this was a surprising and pleasant read. Somehow I did not expect anyone who liked the Glee covers to actually like or get into Fleetwood Mac. Silly me.
    I do still kinda like the show for little things like this.

18. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

As soon as the episode aired, I bought Rumours, and have only listened to the originals, bar-one (I Don't Want To Know for Quinn), since. I'm for ever grateful for Glee to spark my interest though.

I'm actually now thinking of purchasing the physicals of Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, Tusk and Tango in the Night pretty soon. I really feel like I should own them. I also want to purchase the "Definitive" hardback book, the bands story seems really interesting, and I've only just read their Wiki page.

Stanning to the max for Fleetwood Mac, you could say!

19. Re: Fleetwood Mac Novice

All their albums are stylishly packaged...Tango is my favouite sleeve of all-time, but all of them are nice to own. The vinyls were obviously even better for that, but even on CD the overall feel remains. The 2LP Tusk was epic, sleeves-inside-sleeves and then slipped into an outer sleeve. I think Warners lost money on every copy because the thick cardboard cost so much to produce!