Foster The People | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foster The People

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by weatherconor, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Could not find a thread for this great new-ish band on here so here goes.

Helena Beat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SZGW-6AF3A

Every year there's at least one or two new bands of this sort which i really like.
    If your an MGMT & Empire Of The Sun 'Helena Beat' is great stuff, so summery and anthemic.

Not sure if there's any plans for them to come over to the UK but im guessing the US/Aussie single 'Pumped Up Kicks' will be the one they come over with if so.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2014
  2. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

This album is amazing! I thought we had a thread for it?

3. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

Ive looked everywhere but the search bar on this site never finds anything im looking for.

4. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

'Pumped Up Kicks' is now Top 10 on US iTunes, I thought this had reached its peak. I also thought it would have done better than barely scraping the Top 30 in the UK and Ireland too but I suppose they really haven't been promoting it here (yet).

5. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

The last five tracks on the album are so much stronger than the first five.

6. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

AGREE. 'Houdini' and 'Life on the Nickel' are my favourites on the entire album. I'm also little bit in love with that shitty madcap breakdown after the chorus in 'Miss You'.

7. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

I saw them live last Thursday in Sydney. They were so good, just SO GOOD.

They played the whole album, Broken Jaw and a cover of Heart of Gold by Neil Young. The only minus I had was that in some songs, they went into a mental extended breakdown but then went on to the next song - singing the chorus one more time would've made everything perfect.

8. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

Alright, let's sort out this 'Pumped Up Kicks' business.

Is it an indie-pop flash in the pan? Is it actually a good song? Why is it so popular at the moment? Is the fact that it's about hipsters shooting other hipsters brilliant, or idiotic? Why do I like it? Why do I have it paired with 'Swinging London Town' on Spotify?

9. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

I'll sort this out for you, it's a brilliant song. There's your answer.

Why do we have to look at what genre it is or what type of band makes it? "Meh we need to find an explanation for why i like this INDIE song!!!!! How dare I?!?!?!!!" It's a good song. End of.

10. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

Well, that's not exactly what I meant. I have nothing against the genre, in fact, most of my favorite music this year is along the same lines, but it's just come out of no where and I'm a bit baffled. It does seem like a flash in the pan, appearing out of nowhere, and this always seems to happen at this time of year with this type of song, doesn't it?

I'm just having a bit of fun.

11. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

I imagine they'll most definitely be a flash in the pan.

12. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

But the album is good, so you really can't ask for much more.

13. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

Basically. I bought their album last night and it's so good. I know some members here have an aversion to "indie wanker" music, but this album strikes a perfect middle ground. It doesn't forget the ~power~ of a strong melody and chorus, but it isn't empty, souless, and indistinguishable as a lot of mainstream music can be, either. Their single is basically the only interesting song in the top 10 right now, in my humble opinion.

14. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

"What's your style and who do you listen to? Who cares?!"

15. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

Unlike all the bands they get compared to (I'm looking at you, MGMT and Empire Of The Sun), their album is solid. I'm impressed.

16. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

Is the album generally different opposed to Pumped Up Kicks? I honestly cannot stand the song. I guess their album, along with Best Coast will be my new music selections.

17. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

I'd say there's nothing comparable to Pumped Up Kicks on the album. It's a lot more straight forward, for the lack of a better word.

18. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

'Pumped Up Kicks' is basically the worst track on the album.

19. Re: Foster The People - Helena Beat/Torches

Yes, this is true.