GAON #1s 2017 RATE: *#7* | Page 14 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GAON #1s 2017 RATE: *#7*

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Sanctuary, Dec 9, 2017.

1. We Are and Love Story to go out next and we will have a pretty good top 20.

Sanctuary and Serg. like this.
  2. Spoiler: We lose someone’s 11 next.

3. Spoiler: "Instagram" should have been top 5.

Cotton Park and Sanctuary like this.
  4. [​IMG]

It's mine.

Kuhleezi, evilsin, Sanctuary and 2 others like this.

5. No.

22. I Will Go To You Like The First Snow
    [​IMG]
    Average: 7.130
    Highest Score:
    11 (@Monkey0), 10 (@soratami, @ThighHighs), 9.5 (@Serg.)
    Lowest Score: 2 (Sanctuary), 4 (@karmarisma)

Year-End Chart: #1
    Went #1: Week 2, Week 3 & Week 4
    Total Sales: 2,488,341+​

Apparently Korea and K-PJ's taste really do diverge from one another. We lose the #1 of 2017 today.

The power of television in any culture is pretty obvious. Dramas are some of the most watched programs in South Korea and many credit the creation of Hallyu - the idea of Korean culture as a profitable export around the world - with the popualirty of the k-drama Winter Sonata within Japan. Many of the first k-pop acts to try and break into the Japanese market would take roles in Japanese dramas to widen their appeal.

Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, also known simply by Goblin, was a cultural phenomena. The drama ran from the end of 2016 through January and received some of the highest viewership in Korean television history. Many of the tracks released in conjunction as soundtrack songs were extremely successful. Lasse Lindh’s “Hush” went #1 on the international-only Gaon chart, while songs by Crush, Urban Zakapa and more for the show filled the Top 10.

But the most successful was "I Will Go To You Like The First Snow". At the time Goblin was taking over Korea, Ailee's attempt at a US career kind of flat-lined:

To be fair, she supposedly wasn't aware of most of what her US management were doing and had no idea how they were launching her. And in the end, it didn't mean much, as she was having the most successful year of her career yet in Korea. The song would spend three weeks on-top and would block Suzy and Dynamic Duo x EXO's Chen from the top.

But did Goblin takeover all of you like it took over Korea?

@Gintoki: "Another kpop ballad...but Ailee's voice is something special."

@Slice of Life: "This is like a discount Cleansing Cream (a song by the Brown Eyed Girls). I mean, great vocals, beautiful vocals, etc but this isn't exactly the most interesting song. I will say that I was LIVING for that last chorus."

@ericcccc: "So dramatic and then that key change? Alright."

@Empty Shoebox: "I'm not really into ballads in languages I don't understand. At least it's not that tuneless dirge from Portugal."

@karmarisma: "As much as I love Ailee and her pure raw vocal power and emotion, I do think her ability is wasted on songs like this. I'm glad she's getting those digital sales though, because it's what she deserves."

@ryan_riot92: "It’s a very lovely OST track. Ailee’s vocal versatility shines in this track however it’s not something I’d go back to. Love the drama though!"

@Squashua: "I know this was a monster hit for Ailee and it ticks all the SK GP boxes - from a big OST, a massive string laden ballad sung by a top tier female soloist. It's not something I'd come back to often (it's edging on the Eurovision melodrama side of things) but watch it live if you want to be scalped. Ailee decimates your faves with those pipes."

@LA Hallucinations: "Okay but the good sis snapped on the vocals."

@aaronhansome: "Well, isn’t this lovely? Her voice is gorgeous and also it’s so dramatic, jesus."

@ThighHighs: "WHEW she WILL sing, won’t she? This song is an emotional fave. The melody is so beautiful and Ailee sounds so freaking amazing. I’ll stan the occasional ballad."

@ThisIsRogue: "Nicely produced but nothing to really write home about. She shows of her vocal prowess quite well in the middle 8."

@eliminathan: "I never really listened to Ailee songs so I always thought she was stuck doing aggressive yelling bops but it looks like she can do a bussy bopping ballad at the same time. Sis got range. Her voice is fantastic as expected. One of my favourite things a song can do is drop the music and bring it back during the final chorus and she went there."

@soratami: "This is very "videogame credits song" but I love it anyway (or maybe exactly because of that)"

@Monkey0: "Look at me, not only giving high score to a ballad, but awarding a ballad with my 11. She did that. Once a blue moon comes a song that’s just instantly makes you feel things. For me in case of ballads that’s like once a decade thing. What I value in this song is honesty, restrained production and vocals and the fact that it effortlessly annihilated competition."

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Island, Kuhleezi, evilsin and 13 others like this.
  6. This is the best ballad in the rate, shameful.

We Are needs to be eviscerated.

ThighHighs, Sanctuary and Monkey0 like this.
  7. This is fucking outrageous. Y'all have horrid taste. First Through the Night and now this?? Shameful.

[​IMG]

Island, Kuhleezi, evilsin and 8 others like this.
  8. I can't believe this is the second time Salvador Sobral is brought up in the commentary. I thought this was supposed to be a safe space

[​IMG]

Kuhleezi, evilsin, He and 2 others like this.
  9. To be fair, I did refer to it at 'tuneless dirge' both times.

Island, soratami and Sanctuary like this.

10. Well......

Since you all asked so nicely.....

21. We Are
    [​IMG]
    Average: 7.217
    Highest Score:
    10 (@Gintoki), 9 (Sanctuary, @ericcccc, @Slice of Life, @Monkey0)
    Lowest Score: 2 (@Serg.) 4 (@Alouder98)

Year-End Chart: #34
    Went #1: Week 36 & Week 37
    Total Sales: 1,090,324+​

In a moment of fate, we lose another track that owes much of its success to a television program. While it’s been discussed how popular American Idol-style shows that find new idol coffee shop talent are in Korea, we’ve yet to touch on another aspect of TV: K-Rap.

Shows like Show Me The Money have been able to tap into the popualirty of hip hip amongst a young and growing population in Korea. SMTM has even inspired other shows where rappers can show off their abilities and compete, like the all-female Unpretty Rapstar (Another artist in the rate, Heize, would find her first bit of exposure from being on the 2nd season). Underground and idol rappers have shared the stage on Show Me The Money to earn respect and notoriety.

Woo Won Jae was a popular contestant on Show Me The Money 6. After ending up in 3rd place, he was unable to perform the track he had prepared: “We Are”. Once the track was leaked onto the net, it was met with immediate popularity and would fly up daily music charts. The track also features Loco and GRAY, who have done their own stints on Show Me The Money, with Loco being the original season's winner.

Unfortunately, despite not being as polarizing as the ballads, this slice of k-rap couldn't make the Top 20.

@Empty Shoebox: "This is just a mess to me. I'll admit I didn't bother looking up the lyrics to this one, so I apologise if they're really profound, emotional, breathless and...real."

@eliminathan: "I like the instrumental."

@Squashua: "Funky in an LA 80's drive time way. Usually my thing but the chorus vocal effects are a bit too wobbly for me. The rapping is great mind although I'm surprised this got #1 when the K-indie crowd (Sik-K, pH-1, offonoff to name 3) did this kind of thing much better."

@ThighHighs: "A fun groovy lil bop. The chorus is a bit monotonous."

@karmarisma: "An above average Khiphop song purely because of the rapping. Beat making continues to stay largely dead in Khh, especially with AOMG tracks. This has the usual autotuned sweg-type hooks that AOMG does which turns me off a fair bit."

And in a shocking event, all top-scorers offered commentary, so I'll let them take it away:

@ericcccc: "It’s VERY Calvin Harris’s recent era and wouldn’t sound out of place next to “Slide” and “Feels.” A bop!"

@Slice of Life: "As someone who doesn't really listen to K-hiphop (or any hiphop for that matter), this is actually amazing. No cringe factor whatsoever, just pure display of talent."

@Monkey0: "I just discovered this bop. So cool."

@Gintoki: "After I heard it here first....it's on repeat these days, not sure why but it's clicked with me, it's just so effortlessly catchy."

11. ALSO...

YOUR TOP 20:

January

February:
    Spring Day
    Knock Knock

March:
    Fine
    Plz Don’t Be Sad

April:
    Really Really
    Palette

May:
    Signal

June:
    Lonely (Sistar)

July:
    Don’t Know You
    You, Cloud Rain
    Red Flavor
    Ko Ko Bop

August:
    Energetic

September:
    Gashina

October:
    Some
    Where You At
    Love Story

November:
    Likey

December:
    Heartshaker
    Lonely (Jonghyun)​

12. These three next please.

Sanctuary likes this.
  13. Now the real competition starts.

Love Story should go first.

Sanctuary and Alouder98 like this.
  14. lol no

15. I was hoping SISTAR's Lonely was going to go all the way but then I realised Gashina was in this rate too and it's going to drag disbanded unnies.

[​IMG]

Sanctuary, Serg. and He like this.
  16. I love Ailee's voice, I gave that song a 6 just because of it. We Are is cute.

Sanctuary likes this.
  17. Two of those three are two of my top 3, so I'll put this here and keep on truckin.

18. How about...
    [​IMG]

19. Most definitely not

[​IMG]

Kuhleezi, Sanctuary and Serg. like this.