General Technology Discussion | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Technology Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sam de Jour, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Had a bit of a poke around and I couldn't find anything similar. Basically this thread is for us techies, software noobs / pros and Apple connoisseurs such as myself and Nillness.

I thought the latest Samsung phone was a bit of a hilarious iPhone 6 rehash. Also - would any of yo recommend Final Cut Pro worth investing in? iMovie seems a bit amateurish.

2. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I've had my laptop for 4.5 years. Let me vacate.

3. Yeah, you're not welcome.

4. I've already sworn my next laptop will be a Macbook Pro. I spend most of my day on that thing so I don't mind splurging a bit.

5. Macbook Pro >>>>>> any Windows laptop I've ever used.

Next stop, an iPhone. Or at least it would be if I stopped spending my money on useless shit I don't need.

6. The new Galaxy is, as usual, fuck ugly. Why are they incapable of making a nice looking product?

7. Phones are getting so boring now. My partner had an iPhone and he got rid of it, he hasn't had a mobile phone now for coming up to a year and his life hasn't changed at all. The only reason i keep mine is for listening to music on the Soundcloud app.

8. Nah I legit couldn't live without my phone.

I mean, I probably could. But I wouldn't want to.

9. 'General Sam Drops His Phone In The Toilet And Needs A Replacement Discussion'

10. I leave my phone at home as often as possible.
    That being said, I can't go to the letter box without my iPod.

11. Has anyone installed a Solid State Hard Drive before? Is it hard to do?

12. That was one time!

13. I just use an external USB 500gb flash drive. Solid states are VERY fragile, I'd be nervous.

Anyway, I've been struggling with this for a few months now and I think I'm ready to do something about it;

My MacBook Air was my best friend for the greater half of two years. Now it overheats all the time and shuts off and if I do any more than browse the internet / word processing its useless. I could take it in to get fixed, but I don't want to spend a fuckton of money on it. I'm thinking about just getting a refurbished 21.5in iMac or saving a lot of money and getting the ChromeBase. I'm moving to a bigger place come may so I think I want a desktop instead of a laptop. I have an iPad to cover all my lappy needs.

14. You get a three year warranty with MacBooks, right? I did with mine anyway. Sounds like deterioration of the device rather than a user fault. Check your coverage on the Apple website here and then take it in.

15. Nope, I got the one year. I was very broke when I got the Air and made a very irresponsible decision when buying it. It's a refurb. Maybe I'll just suck it up and take it in this Sunday.... If they do a free estimate then I have nothing to lose.

16. Ahhh that sucks. Yeah a consultation won't cost you anything. Good luck hun.

17. Installing one is incredibly easy, not much different from installing a plain HDD.

18. Yeah Apple only do one year warranties unless you pay for extra.

I agree with the statement that phones have got so boring now. They've all hit their peak, they all do everything we'd ever want them to that the differences between Apple/Samsung these days is negligible.

I switched from iPhone to a Samsung a month ago and to be honest, there's really not any difference. Purely cosmetic.

19. I am pretty upset about the lack of SD card support on the S6. Expandable storage as always been such a boon for the Galaxy series in my opinion. Being able to stick my full library on my S3 made moving away from my failing iPod Classic that much easier; I'm due an upgrade soon and guess I'll settle for the S5 if I can get a good deal.

20. That seems like a bit of a regression.