General Technology Discussion | Page 21 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Technology Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sam de Jour, Mar 4, 2015.

1. I'm still on El Capitan here, 2011 Macbook. There ain't no way in hell I'm risking the stress of a failed update.

xtophermorrison and RJF like this.
  2. RJF

RJF

Yas El Capitan sis.

bestinase likes this.
  3. Honestly, if it wasn’t for my iPhone 4 or 5 (I think?), being unable to communicate with my iTunes on Lion, I’d probably still be using that.

4. Scream. I have an iPad mini 2 and iPhone 6 Plus both on iOS 11 (in the beta program), as well as an iMac (mid 2011) and MacBook Pro (mid 2010) on High Sierra. Everything has been fine on each machine, but I'm sure this is the end of the road as far as update on the MacBook.

5. I’ve never had an issue updating the software, but yesterday was something else! It kept saying the download was corrupt or that something was missing and it needed to restart-it probably had me restart the installation progress 3 or 4 times before it clicked. Then when I finally passed that, the installation progress bar kept locking up - and it wouldn’t tell me how long it had left, it was just the logo and the progress bar.

So I perused the Apple forums and someone with a similar iMac had the same problem and suggested manually rebooting the computer. So I did that, and it started over - still with no data on how much time was remaining. Then it almost made it to the end and made this horrendous beeping sound and rebooted again on its own. This time it showed the progress bar and Apple logo, but the progress bar was like 3 times the size and looked like the computer was booting up in safe mode, all pixelated. So then it made it to the end and rebooted again, this time with how much time was remaining-44 minutes. 44 minutes took closer to 70 minutes (in total a whole evening wasted).

I really thought it was the end. I was doing healing dances in my office trying to will the girl to live. But it’s been doing decent since then, so hoping I can get at the very least another year or two out of it.

I thought waiting a couple months after the update was released would prevent any bugs from sneaking in - but I guess I was wrong. I’ve been burned by the Apple tree many times, so I don’t know why this is surprising to me, but it just is..

6. This is frightening oh hell no.