General Video Games discussion | Page 692 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Video Games discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shockbox, May 4, 2009.

1. YAY! I just placed in Gold for the first time in Overwatch.

Tribal Spaceman and diamond dogs like this.
  2. I was about to defend the motion controls saying I haven't found them that tough, but I literally just went into a shrine where you have to get the balls to each sit on a different "slot" via motion controls and I've been at it for 15 minutes and want to die.

Edit: This is messed up but right after posting this I kept trying and managed it... It truly is just luck.

Tribal Spaceman, ThisIsRogue and He like this.
  3. I laughed so much at this

4. So, two 9.5-10/10 PC video games have been released in the past month:

Subnautica:

Celeste:

Both of them also have excellent soundtracks, especially Celeste.

Play them. You'll thank me afterwards.

aaronhansome likes this.
  5. The reaction to Celeste in particular has been really incredible, lots of buzz right now. Im not a puzzle/platformer hunty but I almost want to pick it up on Switch.

Subnautica has been a long time coming and I've been following it for ages, but its setting gives me nightmares. I feel I wouldn't be able to enjoy the exploration and crafting in game just due to that spooky isolating setting. (Unless they added online and I could force my husband to play dddd)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  6. Subnautica looks interesting but what exactly is the big deal with Celeste? I haven't really looked into it much but it kinda looks exactly like tens of other games.

7. It's a puzzle/platformer indie with a surprising amount of polish and heart.

To be honest, it's very much in line with other high popularity platformers like super meat boy, and is quite difficult at times. People have really resonated with the game's design and how they slowly openup mechanics and teach you to utilize all your powers to solve complex puzzles. I think the story and characters have also been really well received as most reviews say they didn't want Celeste to end because they were so engrossed. There is also a surprising amount of bonus/challenge content for you to collect and complete.

I think mostly, it's all down to the full package that it's getting such nice reviews. If you don't like other Indie hardcore platformers like Super Meat Boy you might not enjoy it, but there is a larger skill ceiling to this game allowing more casual players to complete the story and more hardcore players to really push the limits of skill.

8. I’ve just started Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and I’d forgotten just how gonzo the rebooted franchise is.

Also, does anyone else use Boomerang Rentals? It’s saved me an absolute fortune, and has also allowed me to play games I’d never pay full price for.

9. I’ve been watching a few let’s plays of Celeste and I think I’ll pick it up soon! I love 2D platformers of any kind.

10. Celeste is hard but I feel like...it cares for me and for that, I thank it. It is worth 20 doullas on the Switch.

11. Finally managed to get a hold of FF12 Zodiac Age for £11.99 on amazon. Just gotta find time to play it!

12. Ugh Friday the 13th is hard and I’m so shit at it. I managed to get the fuel for the car but Jason appeared and killed me ñnn

munro, inevitable and johnny_tsunami like this.
  13. Oh cool, thank you!

In that case, when would everyone like to start? I can prep over the weekend and open the thread next week, or I can live my cute rate-free life a wee while longer if y'all would rather. I'm easy!

14. Does anyone else play Friday the 13th on the PS4 here? Would be fun if we managed to get a popjustice round or something

15. [​IMG]

Animalia and soratami like this.
  16. Shadow of the Colossus is beautiful but the controls are AWFUL and I just can't get into it despite loving Ico and liking The Last Guardian. Maybe I just need to keep playing it or maybe it's just not for me.

17. Are you talking about the remake? I thought one of the things they wanted to do in the remake was make the controls better.

18. I don't know if I need to change them in the settings but it's just very clunky. I also felt a bit sick playing cos of the camera work but maybe I should give it another chance.

19. 80 hours in and we're introducing celestial machines and new concepts and I still can't tell if the end of the game is close because they're constantly building on concepts and drip feeding us the Jin's back story.

The characters in this game are phenomenal, even the lesser characters and blades have fully fleshed out personalities (Not Torna). Some are a little bit cliche but they've made an incredibly likeable group of characters. Which is more than I can say for FFXV

I love that Rex gets a makeover and some new armour but he's still wearing his assless chaps.

I'm baffled by the sheer amount of content in this game especially as I can see there are still at least three spaces on the world map where I can only assume there will be other titans?

The mission going down to the bottom of the cave was awful, being forced to use Torna and the game stripping away the most fun part of the battle dynamic was one of the worst game design decisions I can think of in a long time.

20. @JRPG fans I really recommend playing Ys 8 (out now for PS4 and soon for Switch and PC), it's one of the best thing gen. It really has it all, a great story/characters (it's about a group of castaways stranded on a deserted island, so it's definitely original too, and it takes some really unexpected turns), super fun gameplay (exploring the island, finding all the castaways and developing your base is an absolute blast, and the combat is top notch, fast, flashy and responsive like an action game, but without any needlessly complex systems), great music and it has that PS2-era JRPG charm and appeal, but with modern day design and polish, as in, every system works perfectly and nothing about it ever feels unecessary or like a grind.

It's basically a mix of the best aspects of a bunch of other JRPG series (especially Trails (it's by the same devs), Tales, Suikoden and Atelier, but also a bit of Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts/Star Ocean), but with its own indentity as well. So yeah, basically, it's awesome.

It also gets extra points for having a character named Quina.