Girls Forever: The Definitive KARA Singles Rate (#12-11) | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girls Forever: The Definitive KARA Singles Rate (#12-11)

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by 3Xs, Jan 16, 2016.

1. [​IMG]

Slice of Life, junglefish and ajmkv like this.
  2. Seung Yeon was robbed!

Ceir and Cotton Park like this.
  3. A moment of silence for the true winner: Icona PopJiyoung

4. [​IMG]

Mikl C, Monkey0, ryan_riot92 and 6 others like this.
  5. This Excel file is like the 3-Disc Sampler from X. It'll be ten years before these results see the light of day.

6. 3Xs

3Xs

*giggles*

*giggles*

*giggles in Book Antiqua*

*giggles hysterically*

12. Speed Up

好きなの 怖いの 少しハッキリしてよ
    Do you like me? Are you scared? Make it clear

[​IMG]

Score: 7.71 | High: 9.5 (x3) | Low: 3

"Speed Up" (スピード アップ; which means "hurry the fuck up 3Xs" in Japanese) is KARA's sixth Japanese single, released on March 21, 2012 as part of a double A-side with "Girls Power." Both songs were later included on their 3rd Japanese studio album Girls Forever.

"Speed Up" is an electro dance-pop song with an uptempo beat that shows the group's mature side. It was produced by Congolese R&B singer-songwriter Mohombi, who has previously worked with BIG BANG on a number of their Japanese songs.

"Speed Up / Girls Power" debuted at #2 on the Oricon chart to become their sixth consecutive top 5 hit in Japan, selling 158,000 copies in total to be certified Gold.

I gave this an 8 as it's one of the better original Japanese songs. Simple bop with a catchy melody and a bit of sexiness to help distinguish it from their other releases.

Deja-Boo likes this.
  7. 3Xs

3Xs

11. Cupid

준비가 됐어 모두 끝났어 니가 눈 깜빡 할 사이
    I'm ready, it's all over, in the blink of an eye

[​IMG]

Score: 7.78 | High: 10 (@ryan_riot92) | Low: 4.5

"Cupid" (큐피드) is the final Korean single by KARA, released on May 26, 2015 along with their seventh Korean mini-album In Love. "Cupid" is notable for being one of the few Korean title tracks released by KARA that wasn't produced by Sweetune. The girls worked with a new team for this album, including production duo e.one and hip-hop artist and e-tribe collaborator Nassun. During the album showcase, the members stated that their goal with the album was to show the evolution of the definition of being "KARA-style" while maintaining the "healthy, energetic image" that their fans originally admired about them.

Upon release "Cupid" performed moderately on the charts, reaching #15, their first single to miss the top 10 since 2007, although the album fared better, reaching #2. It was to be their last single released together. Following a tour of Japan in the fall the group formally announced their split in January 2016 when Gyuri, Seungyeon and Hara decided not to renew their contracts with DSP.

I gave this an 8. It was underwhelming at the time and still isn't my favorite, though I appreciate it more in hindsight. It is still strangely Sweetune-ish considering they brought in a whole new team to replace them. It's sad this is their last single and not something a little more impactful, but at least it's something that feels like a proper KARA single, even if it's one of the weaker ones.

Monkey0, Serg. and Deja-Boo like this.
  8. Scream at this being the longest running rate on PJ! Speed Up is one of my most played songs of theirs but "objectively" I recognize it's not quite up there with the classics so #12 is good enough for me. I can't remember what scores I gave, but I know I've regretted a couple...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 7:14 AM