Harry Potter and the Author's Other Various Endeavours | Page 67 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harry Potter and the Author's Other Various Endeavours

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sam de Jour, Aug 8, 2015.

1. To trick Voldemort’s daughter into not killing baby Harry after they’ve all time turned back in time to the night of the original attack of Harry’s parents. Man I hate the play.

2. He

He

Fucking hell, the story is even worse than I had read.

What a joke.

I'm pretty sure there's plenty of fanfiction that is much better than this. Should've bought the copyrights to one and ran with it.

3. That’s not quite the plot.
    Voldemort’s daughter is trying to stop Voldemort attempting to kill Harry, as that was his downfall. Grown up Harry transfigures into Voldemort to stop her meeting the real Voldemort.
    I didn’t really have a problem with this?

To be honest I imagine there are lots of problems that stem from them publishing the script. It’s not a novel, and was never going to be as rich and nuanced as a novel. The plays are wonderful, wonderful spectacle. The whole experience was the most technically impressive thing I’ve ever seen on stage, and it was underpinned by a serviceable plot with plenty of nice moments and nostalgia.

DoggySwami likes this.
  4. But being able to transfigure into living people is just....such an absolutely massive moving of the goalposts and bending of the rules to suit the plot that it just renders the whole thing ridiculous. There has to be rules in these fictional universes, and she just outrageously broke them to serve the ridiculous plot. At best it’s lazy, at worst it’s a massive underestimation of the intelligence of the audience and the avid fans of Harry Potter.

Sam de Jour, Synthline, LTG and 2 others like this.
  5. It's really not to do with it being as 'rich and nuanced as a novel' - I would've been perfectly happy to have received a thinner story with the knowledge of the confines of theatre. It was actually the opposite; the plot was so ambitious that there were huge plot holes within the canon, genuinely stupid/out-of-character moments littered throughout, and dreadful pacing. Why they ever thought working with time would be the best way to go, I have no idea, as it's the one surefire way to trip over yourself within any fictional world. Especially odd after Jo maintained a generally meticulous approach to everything she did throughout the book series.

I can think of three plots that would've fared better:

1) I know it's been discussed ad nauseam, and I'm sure it'll happen in some form down the line, but a Lily/James/Marauder's childhood story leading up to Harry's birth could totally have worked.
    2) Having an entirely different, self-contained plot for Albus/Scorpius/Rose etc that would read as something of an internalised adventure for the three. Sort of like a Philosopher's Stone or Triwizard Tournament adventure that would stand alone, and wouldn't involve them going back fucking decades in time. Bringing the adults in to 'save them', only for the kids to figure out how to do it for themselves - something like that.
    3)
    Exploring more of what the second, dark 'alternate world' would've been like. The end of Part I had me genuinely quite excited, and there's so much they could've done with showing this off in Part II. Instead, they wrapped that whole section up within about 20 minutes (including a dreadfully written Snape, and a genuinely laughable scene where Ron and Hermione spend two minutes saying their goodbyes to one another whilst the Dementors politely wait their turn hovering above before descending down to kill them), leading to the whole Scorpius holding onto the Time Turner/Delphi being Voldemort's daughter from fucking nowhere/Draco just randomly having another Time Turner/message on a blanket nonsense they ended up spiralling into for Act III/IV.

The plot finds itself situated in such a bizarre place as well, because those who wouldn't be bothered by the gaping misfires (passing fans) probably would have some difficulty in appreciating the tiny nuances the plot also backed itself into (such as having acute knowledge of how everything went down at the Yule Ball to appreciate Ron/Hermione's dynamic in first 'alternative world'). Conversely, those equipped with better knowledge would then be able to see the glaringly awful choices made throughout.

joe_alouder, scottdisick94 and He like this.
  6. Yeah the problem is that they did too much. I was expecting a low key fam drama.

7. Because this plays directly to the nostalgia of the fans. They didn't want just a continuation, they wanted to reunite the fans with Snape and other past characters, and they wanted to imagine different versions of the story. It's all about the fanservice, just like a Harry Potter attraction from a theme park would be, rather than a serious theater piece.

8. I don't consider The Cursed Child to be a true sequel to the books. It's more a way of revisiting the "greatest hits" of the saga on stage.

9. It looks very authentic but 2 mins into actual dialogue scenes I am thinking that Fred & George didn't seem that shit after all!

diamondliam and Tribal Spaceman like this.
  10. All true, but it's such a dangerous game to play, and ultimately one that I really didn't think they pulled off. If you want to reunite fans with Snape, actually write a plausible Snape - not one that has suddenly turned into a stand-up comic in the face of his own demise. If you want to reunite fans with Hermione, write a Hermione that we recognise throughout the entire play from her strong likeability and feminist streak, regardless of whether or not she ends up with Ron. Yes, our favourites were brought back onto the stage, but having been ripped from book, to film, and then to theatre, it barely played into my nostalgia at all because they just didn't stack up.

If they were going with nostalgia, and providing fans with a new insight into the Wizarding World, the aforementioned Marauder's story would've pretty much fit the bill. No Harry, Ron, and Hermione, but the potential for great (and less risky) writing through the likes of their parents (seeing the traits of them from James, Lily, Molly, Arthur etc), still reacquainting us with fan favourites like Snape, Lupin, Sirius, Dumbledore etc through an interesting new lens, and vastly reducing the chance of fucking up a plot, given that the blueprint for it is already in place.

Fans would've eaten that up.

11. I think scenes featuring an older Harry, Ron and Hermione interspersed with @EnsnareTheSenses suggestion above would have worked very well. Something in the present which causes them to investigate the past would have tied into the themes of the books well and given fans something incredibly satisfactory.

12. So many who defend the play love to say “but its a play, you just don’t get it”. Excuse me but if the script is good it should work well on paper even without the flashy visuals. And especially since this is a supposed sequel to the books, the writers should have at the very least respected Rowling's writing.

Here is just one small detail that I remember, not in detail though because I read it a long time ago but - when the kids suggest that they Polyjuice someone into Voldemort to trick the daughter, Hermione simply said something like it wouldn't work - Hermione from the books wouldn't pass on the chance to educate and say you can't brew the potion because it takes a month to do it. Casual fans wouldn't notice but HP fan certainly would.

Of course there are other more alarming matters like why would Draco just pop in the end and reveal he has another Time Turner - I'm sorry but that is just lazy to the bone.

Why mess around with the perfectly fine plot in GOF, its just ridiculous. Why would Albus even want to save Cedric, how about Fred, Teddy's parents or even Sirius? I am not much of a fan of Ron/Hermione but even I find it stupid that they wouldn't end up together just because Krum wasn't in the picture. The fact that the play implies jelousy is the trigger for a lasting romance is a bad message to send - jelousy is not a good thing, period.

I like the permise of the play, that Harry is a struggling parent and that Al feels insecure because of dad's fame. That totally makes sense and they could have explored that without the time travel nonsense.

On the side note, I can't get over the fact that Rose is so mean to Al just because he is in Slytherin - you'd think that daugther of Muggleborn Hermione would not judge anyone but ok...

13. I still have never heard a satisfactory reason as to why Albus tried to save Cedric in the first place. To get back at Harry? To prove something to Harry? The play gives no real reason whatsoever. I’d genuinely love someone to enlighten me. And the fact that the whole play hinges on this decision means it’s pretty much destined to fail.

stuaw likes this.
  14. He

He

It's hilarious that fans might have such issues with the story and yet the thing is making millions and millions on name alone.

15. I am also confused what exactly is Delphie's motive in the first place because I feel like the writers didn't know what to really do with her. Is she a crazy evil woman who wants to rule the world or is she a confused woman who simply wants to meet her dad? You can't really tell.

I think Delphie should have never happened BUT if they had to go with this plot, then it would at least make more sense if she is indeed a confused messed up woman who wants to meet her mother Bella. Sure, she is crazy but I'd like to think she would at lest have some sort of emotion if she had met her. Did Delphie honestly think Voldemort would meet her with open arms and be glad? He would kill her on the spot, no question.

Some fans say Voldemort having a kid makes sense but I think Voldemort NEVER wanted an heir because he was certain he would live forvever, thats why he split his soul in 7 parts. I get why would Bella want to sleep with him (eeewwww) but him wanting her? No way, the guy had no emotions besides greed and lust for power, I just can't imagine him having sexual urges. Again... ewwwww!

scottdisick94 likes this.
  16. He

He

I hate saying what characters would or wouldn't do, as it feels very entitled (like the fans moaning about Luke in the Last Jedi), but Voldemort even being sexual is just a bit silly. He rejected every bit of humanity he had, he became a monster on purpose.

Having an heir might fit into his ideals of him being special and the chosen one, but still. I would think he'd see himself as ultimate.

scottdisick94 and ZsDbk88 like this.
  17. I would agree about the entitled thing if Rowling wrote the play but I really think she didn't - if she really had a big say in the play, I find it hard to believe she would bring back the plot she is very disappointed with. On Pottermore she was very honest in saying Time Turner thing was not her best idea because that always begs the question why the tragedies happen if you can prevent them. That is exactly why she destroyed Time Turners in the books, Hermione reads an artivle about that in HBP.

So to see the play in which time travel is basically a major plot drive is strange considering how much Rowling hates it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  18. There is no way Voldemort isn't anything but a homo.

sugarcoma and Mikl C like this.
  19. The play was visually spectacular but the story was shit and never would have made it into the books.

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  20. He

He

Yet, she greelit it. Or was it Warner Bros forcing her hand?

She has taken such a nosedive in ideas and in her public persona, that I kind of want to blame her for it too, haha.

ZsDbk88 likes this.