Horror films. | Page 527 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horror films.

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by robots need oil, Jan 15, 2009.

1. UGH, CARPENTER'S THE THING IS SO GOOD.

For my final in the horror movie class, I am watching it and discussing the social and political context in which it was made. I'm also talking about its use of "the other" and the concept of abjection to its benefit.

I found a really interesting article about the homo/hetero subtleties underpinning the whole thing. In a genre where the "final girl" is so often used, it's very thought-provoking that the entire film is so male driven.

Thoughts?

2. WHY WONT THEY JUST RELEASE THE ‘HALLOWEEN’ MOVIE TRAILER ONLINE ALREADY FOR FUCK SAKE?!?

Sorry.

3. My mood ALL WEEK

4. Fuck I really hope the powers that be whet appetites by re-releasing the 1978 Halloween in cinemas a few weeks before the new one

Other horror films I’d like to see on the big screen In proper 70mm:

- The Shining
    - Suspiria
    - In the Mouth of Madness
    - Wes Craven’s New Njghtmare
    - Dressed to Kill
    - Body of Evidence

polaerbae likes this.
  5. Two of these are not like the others...

Remorque likes this.
  6. I see what you did there.

[​IMG]

7. I did love “the other” theory when I studied film.

8. Because reshoots.

johnny_tsunami likes this.
  9. I'm watching A Dark Song and loving it so far.

10. ‘Dead’ like any Jamie in the Halloween series!

Terminus likes this.
  11. I LOVED A Dark Song! A great slow-burn horror that reminded me of Ti West. It did a great job of showing, not just telling. Highly recommended.

Gasoline likes this.
  12. Night Night Barb. RIP Margot Kidder.

13. What a legend

“No, Clare, it's the Mormon Tabernacle Choir making their annual obscene phone call”

14. Aw that is sad news. Barb is one of my favourite horror film characters.

vague and Terminus like this.
  15. Oh nooooo I loved her. Always my choice Lois Lane, plus Barb, Amityville, and less amazingly the drama teacher in that crappy Clown at Midnight. RIP indeed.

vague and Anjoel40 like this.
  16. And she was amazing in Brian De Palma's Sisters.

17. No, that's super sad. She was a standout in Black Christmas.

P'NutButter and Uno like this.
  18. Immediately the first thing I thought of when I heard she had passed.

19. Sisters and her role in it deserved way more attention. At least it's gone down as a cult classic. RIP Margot.

kermit_the_frog, vague and Terminus like this.
  20. It's very sad to hear the news about Margot Kidder. As a Canadian, she was a major icon to us.

I also feel it's important to state that, for me at least, Margot Kidder gave a face to mental illness. When she had her widely publicized incident in 1996, I think it was the first time many learned about bipolar disorder and mental illness in general. Back then we didn't have the information like we do now. I felt bad for Margot because she was subject to lots of gossip and judgment, but over time, I think she has helped a lot of people directly and indirectly because it made many of us understand mental illness a little better.