How did you get into Eurovision? | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you get into Eurovision?

Discussion in 'Eurovision' started by Charley, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Wow, took to low down on the page until the mightly Bucks Fizz were mentioned, I was starting to feel very, very old! So it for 1981 for me, from that point on I would always stay up late (did it used to go on late into the night / early morning, because thats my memory?) I say stay up, it was more watching in bed on a little black and white portable.

Lost interest a bit through the 90's but loving it again now.

Txetxu likes this.
  2. Charley

Charley Moderator

It's been 4 (!) years since this thread, so perhaps there are some new PJ'ers who want to share their story?

Txetxu likes this.
  3. I remember watching a man winning tickets to go see precious in the 1999 contest on the national lottery program.
    Say it again was such a tune.

I have never turned back or been sober since.

4. The first one I remember watching with family was the 1994 contest and all I remember is Riverdance but I didn't properly get into until 1996 when Gina G was representing the UK I wanted her to win so badly and was gutted when she didn't.

Island likes this.
  5. Gina G, simple as that. I was 12, and utterly utterly obsessed with her from the off. Still am now as much as you can be (see: avatar). Wasn't even aware of the contest before then, but I have followed it religiously ever since!

Txetxu likes this.
  6. duckface

duckface Guest

Eurovision has been part of my life since... forever. But the first one I absolutely remember watching start-to-end was 2001, and we were so pissed that Greece didn't win. What was that fuckery, eh?!?

7. I am the lovechild of Dana International and the hairy one from Brotherhood of Man

8. Parents told me it was crap and a waste of time, thus I advocated it and became addicted in the process.

Island and Txetxu like this.
  9. I watched it for the first time when the amazing Sertab won. I became a real eurovision fan in 2005 when Helena Paparizou participated and won, good times!

Island likes this.
  10. Cant remember the year I started watching but I first got into when the girl who used to babysit me and my brother (we are still friends with her and still watch some Eurovision's with her) got us to watch it with her one night she was minding us. I became obsessed after that first night and haven't missed one since.

11. I was 5 when I danced around to the danish entry of 81. Then to years later I remember doing a spin from a dance from the danish entry of 83.
    I vaguely remember Nicole winning with Ein Bisschen Frieden - and vividly remember the look on Corinne Hermes face moments before she realizes that the victory is hers. She looked angry I thought and disliked her. Life has taught me, that is what is was concentration and nervousness on her face and I since loved her and the song. This is also the first time I remember watching video introduction programmes on TV, prior to the show. Especially the one from Luxembourg stands out.

My first cassette was from 82 and I remember that 'Si tu aimes ma musigue' from Belgium was an absolute favorite. Since then I can't really pick a favourite. I love them all from back then.

Eurovision has always just been there. I mean, I don't remember Hallelujah winning, but I was born and I've always known that song. So I was always a fan. And I was definitely alone in that. My parents watched the show, because it was all there was on TV on the night. Back then in Denmark, there was only one channel. They thought it was bad taste, which is the case for most danes still. So I took a lot of teasing for being a fan.
    I have cousin who's birthday is in may, and I remember that everyone knew we had to watch the show because of me - that they accepted - but I also remember the ridicule I had to suffer. Geez...

Nowadays my mother is proud of the fact that I know so much about it. She calls me if the topic comes up in a quiz show and wants me to enter.

Anyway, I suppose the year that really did it for me, the year where I still remember every detail, what position the different entries ended up with, the voting and the show must be 1988. And I didn't even watch it on the night. I was invited to a celebration and had to watch on VCR the following day.

Celine Dion was in her hidious dress but sang beautifully, Denmark got the best placing in years (3rd) and the voting was, well judge for yourselves:

http://youtu.be/OKbWsaQb11w

I love that year, and love the songs in it. But I also loved 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 90, 91, 92........ I kept on watching through the dark 90's - that has the year of exellence 1997 - and still do. I even have nightmares where I've forgotten it and it's on tv and I can't watch. I've been bitten by the Eurovision bug and I've got the disease badly. Thank god for that!

Island likes this.
  12. Charley

Charley Moderator

Bumping this one again should any of the more recent PJ Eurovision fans want to share their story!

13. I basically grew up watching it but my first proper Eurovision was 2009, and I became obsessed with the 2012 contest...

My Number One was also a huge part of my childhood before I even knew what Eurovision was.

Island and phily693 like this.
  14. Started watched as a kid in the 80's and never missed one ever since.
    But 2005/06 was a turning point as I learned about ESC's history and the oldies due to YouTube and such.

15. Started watched as a kid but only really cared for the voting part (classic sassy drama kween) and only really got into it in 1987, when I was 12 and Bang and Alexia served great songs for Greece and Cyprus.

Still that island breezy Ace Of Base-inventing bawp.

Txetxu likes this.