(I was thinking about) Indie Boys Rate- Top 40! | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(I was thinking about) Indie Boys Rate- Top 40!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by AshleyKerwin, Nov 13, 2017.

1. 2014

2014 Moderator

I will send in my votes tomorrow if thats not too late! I'm so sorry for leaving it so long!

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  2. I'm looking forward to this going swimmingly. I don't think that I will be unhappy in any occurance.

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  3. Sorry, I got a bit delayed, but I'll send mine in one or two hours.

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  4. Touching up my write ups and making sure my charts are accurate! Thank you for a great turn out! Results will begin tomorrow instead of the middle of the night like a complete mess. So insomniacs and procrastinators, speak now or forever hold your peace.

5. My averages:
    Tame Impala - 6.81 (one 11, one 3)
    Neon Indian - 7 (one 10, one 4)
    The 1975 - 4.35 (three 7s, two 0s)

The 1975 album was way worse than what I was expecting :/

AshleyKerwin and Untouchable Ace like this.
  6. The 1975 album needed...editing. A lot of it.

7. I'm calling the police.

8. What are y'all talking about?

The 1975 album was everything I forgot I needed...

Chezam and AshleyKerwin like this.
  9. Oh, let me do this one as well.

Untouchable Ace and AshleyKerwin like this.
  10. 2014

2014 Moderator

I had to do this for The 1975 and Same Old Mistakes, but the Neon Indian album was such a nice discovery - so thanks @AshleyKerwin!

11. Neon Indian is so underrated, I have to admit I wasn't introduced to their music until I heard them in Grand Theft Auto V, then came Vega Intl. Night School and all I can say is wow.

Slumlord and Slumlord's Re-release

[​IMG]

12. I was in a bit of a hurry when I was doing this, I think the scores would have probably been higher if I had spent more time with the album. I'll defeinitely be going back to it later.

enjoy and AshleyKerwin like this.
  13. ooh i dislike the Neon Indian record soo it is good that you didnt spend time with it kii .

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Chezam and AshleyKerwin like this.
  14. Voting is now over! I would give some time for guessing what would be eliminated first, but I feel bad for delaying already and we have some interludes, so....
    First, let's begin things with an introductory poem:

Now...

48. Please Be Naked- 4.625

[​IMG]
    Highest Scorer: @Remorque (10)
    Lowest Scorers: @Chezam (1), @constantino (2)

Okay, was anyone that shocked? This is an instrumental/ambient song, which is common for The 1975. Some reviewers compared it to Brian Eno and Sigur Ros and were evenly split between looking at this as a song about intimacy vs the pretentious vibe of it. This track is produced by the 4 members of The 1975, and because I feel bad enough for getting this far without including their names before, the other 3 are Ross Macdonald, George Daniel, and Adam Hann. Genius describes it as

“Initially soft and ethereal, the song builds with the gradual addition of sounds and instruments before abruptly stoping and finishing with a single bar of a repeating piano riff. Taking inference from the title and the overall delicacy of the music, the song can be interpreted as an abstract representation of a persons rising emotions during intimacy or sex.”.​

Well, at 4:25, let’s hope it isn’t an exact representation of sex!

Ironically, Matty has a quote in The Sun (I’m not British, so how bad is it to use them as a source?), saying:

“The only rule with songs was that they had to make me laugh, cry or dance in

the first 15 seconds. That’s why Love Me, Please Be Naked, Lostmyhead and If

I Believe In You are on the album.”​

The emotions- where, where are they?

My thoughts: (3) Okay, mess at me including an instrumental. It felt like the right decision at the time! But now? It feels like DVD home screen music. DVDs, remember what those were?

Meanwhile, this instrumental received an actual range of comments from the voters:

Constantino, was confused, giving it a 2- When I first saw the title I prepared myself for the worst...only for it to be a bizarrely solemn ambient instrumental piece...I have questions.

@happiestgirl captured most of our feelings- 5 “Pretty little instrumental but nothing particularly exciting”

Remorque on the other hand understood the exact vibe this song was going for, giving it a perfect 10!: I was cycling to work this morning and it was freezing and the air still had that foggy quality to it. The sun was shining down and the sunshine was glistening over the water as I was riding next to it. This was playing and it opened itself up to me… A true testament to just how good this band is at creating a pure soundscape to go with a certain landscape. It was pure bliss.

Here’s a performance of this at Vevo Present at The O2 in London.

(I chose the Christina Aguilera censored cover of Stripped because I thought it was funny and the opposite of the title and they said she influenced the album. Legend X, her impact has no limit!)

15. FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  16. Hope 2018 will be a good year for you.

17. SHUTUPIVEJUSTLOSTPLEASEBENAKED

18. Ddddd I wanted to participate in this rate to get familiar with these acts and guess what song was the first one I randomly listened to?? Please Be Naked.

I think it's clear why I didn't vote in the end ddd.

AshleyKerwin and soratami like this.
  19. Happy New Year everybody! Did you party into 2018 like you're The 1975, attend Vega Intl. Night School, or stay Current? Results soon!