Indie Pop Boys 2015-2016 Rate | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indie Pop Boys 2015-2016 Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by AshleyKerwin, Nov 13, 2017.

1. [​IMG]
    Welcome to the Tame Impala/Neon Indian/The 1975 rate! Although these groups might not be that similar in theory, I promise you that I didn’t just put my Spotify on shuffle. With all of their most recent releases, each group shifted their sound and aesthetic to a more playful, colorful, and 80’s inspired album. Currents saw Tame Impala leave The Beatles inspired psychedelic rock for a more synthpop/vaporwave sound. Neon Indian went more mainstream with disco and funk on Vega Intl. Night School compared to his earlier chillwave work. The 1975 went from a black and white aesthetic rock group that plays on automated Tumblr pages to a more ambitious and diverse style on I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It. I definitely appreciate the variety of influences and styles on these and would wish more bands would take note.

[​IMG]

Currents | Tame Impala

Release date- 17 July 2015
    What you know them from- Although Lonerism is huge among the Reddit music fandom, Kevin Parker has atoned for any potential neckbeard following and has started to work with more pop musicians, like Rihanna on Same Ol’ Mistakes, and Lady Gaga on Perfect Illusion.
    Tracklist:
    Let It Happen
    Nangs
    The Moment
    Yes I’m Changing
    Eventually
    Gossip
    The Less I Know the Better
    Past Life
    Disciples
    ‘Cause I’m a Man
    Reality in Motion
    Love/Paranoia
    New Person, Same Old Mistakes
    List of People (To Try and Forget About)
    Powerlines
    Taxi's Here

[​IMG]

Neon Indian | Vega Intl. Night School
    Release Date:
    16 October 2015
    What you know him from- Well, let’s just say they don’t call his label “Mom + Pop” for nothing. Described by Buzzfeed as “The sort of glamorous nightlife you imagine other people are enjoying while you're at home watching Netflix or reading a book.”
    Tracklist:
    Hit Parade
    Annie
    Street Level
    Smut!
    Bozo
    The Glitzy Hive
    Dear Skorpio Magazine
    Slumlord
    Slumlord’s Rerelease
    Techno Clique
    Baby’s Eyes
    C’est la vie (Say the Casualties!)
    61 Cygni Ave
    News from the Sun (Live Bootleg)
    Smiley Sticker

[​IMG]

The 1975 | I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It
    Release Date: 26 February 2016
    What you know them from
    - Hating Shania, the music that plays on the TVs at Target, emphasizing they’re not just a boy band, unmentionable activities at the Brit Awards.
    Tracklist:
    The 1975
    Love Me
    UGH!
    A Change of Heart
    She’s American
    If I Believe You
    Please Be Naked
    Lostmyhead
    The Ballad of Me and My Brain
    Somebody Else
    Loving Someone
    I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It
    The Sound
    This Must Be My Dream
    Paris
    Nana
    She Lays Down
    How to Draw

[​IMG]

Rules
    - Rate all the songs with a score between 0-10.
    - One song, and one song only, can receive an 11.
    - Decimal points are allowed, but don’t take the piss.
    - Commentary is more-than welcome!​

Voting is open from now. DEADLINE FOR VOTES IS DECEMBER 17th. I know many people are busy with holidays and finals and rates and other obligations around that time of the year, so just ask if you need an extension!

Interludes/Etc:
    These albums have a few interludes and other experimental songs. Personally, since they’re not just speaking or 18 seconds of blank audio, I wouldn’t mind including them but I can see why others would want to skip them over. It’s a niche rate but I don’t want to hurt participation more. I might just have a minigame at the beginning of the rate like @Kuhleezi 's Tinashe rate did unless if you want me to include them. It’s 47 tracks with/41 without so yeah.
    Interludes are in italics.

Let It Happen
    Nangs
    The Moment
    Yes I’m Changing
    Eventually
    Gossip
    The Less I Know the Better
    Past Life
    Disciples
    ‘Cause I’m a Man
    Reality in Motion
    Love/Paranoia
    New Person, Same Old Mistakes
    List of People (To Try and Forget About)
    Powerlines
    Taxi's Here

Hit Parade
    Annie
    Street Level
    Smut!
    Bozo
    The Glitzy Hive
    Dear Skorpio Magazine
    Slumlord
    Slumlord’s Rerelease
    Techno Clique
    Baby’s Eyes
    C’est la vie (Say the Casualties!)
    61 Cygni Ave
    News from the Sun (Live Bootleg)
    Smiley Sticker

The 1975
    Love Me
    UGH!
    A Change of Heart
    She’s American
    If I Believe You
    Please Be Naked
    Lostmyhead
    The Ballad of Me and My Brain
    Somebody Else
    Loving Someone
    I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It
    The Sound
    This Must Be My Dream
    Paris
    Nana
    She Lays Down
    How to Draw

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Remorque, Jwentz, Chezam and 7 others like this.
  2. Gonna rush through this so I can stan Currents.

Untouchable Ace and AshleyKerwin like this.
  3. My cute flop rate made some IMPACT after all.

I don't know what a Neon Indian is, but I want to take part just to witness Let It Happen and Somebody Else fight to the death.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  4. I had been meaning to give Vega a shot last year but it never happened, and I like it... was my personal favourite of last year.

I'm not a fan of Currents though, soz.

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  5. Oh, I'm in, I'm in...
    Somebody Else for the win

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  6. Nice, I've been meaning to listen to these albums, so this will be the perfect time for that.

7. If 1975 are anything like our other 2 featured artists here I am sure that I will like them and I am in this.

Are they anything like Chain Gang Of 1974? because I have just gotten in to them this whole year.

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  8. It begins...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  9. 2014

2014 Moderator

Ooooooo color me intrigued

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  10. Wow, this might be my sort of rate. I love Currents and anything by The 1975, although I haven't heard Neon Indian.

AshleyKerwin and Untouchable Ace like this.
  11. Slumlord is honestly the best song of... forever, but Somebody Else and Let it Happen have also made my tops of the years they were released in.

12. She’s American must win

13. Oh yes. Two of my absolutely favourite albums from the past few years (plus The 1975). So excited for this!

Will the Currents b-sides be included?

Untouchable Ace and AshleyKerwin like this.
  14. Yes, they will! @drewsky mentioned them to me. I'll update the first post accordingly!

15. I've actually never listened to that Tame Impala album!

I love the other two, though, so I'm definitely voting for this. A Change Of Heart/Somebody Else top 2, please.

16. Stanning for Let It Happen. That insturmental part, Neutral Milk Hotel could never.

17. I Like It When You Sleep Etc is so much better than I remembered it being. I usually just listen to 3 or 4 songs from it, but the whole album is solid!

18. How's everyone doing? I'm almost done with the graphics. I haven't really done any prolific tagging yet and I don't think I've ever submitted a score before the 48 hour mark, but what do y'all think?

Untouchable Ace likes this.