K-Pop Songs That Made The World Go "Fucking Hell" | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-Pop Songs That Made The World Go "Fucking Hell"

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by McQueer, Jan 17, 2017.

1. hi !

Obviously inspired by this thread in the main forum, I decided to open this one because: a. That other one quickly become a mess of people just posting their favorite songs that made ZERO impact and b. as per usual, any K-Pop posted was dismissed by other posters.

Now everyone here is obviously aware of the incredible work produced in the Korean music industry. There was a reason for the Hallyu wave, there's a reason we have our own little sub-forum, so let's talk about why!

I think we can be a bit more lenient with the rules here because as we know, great songs in K-Pop often inspire millions of copycats and also, often times really impressive songs undeservedly flop without making a blip on any sort of chart so we might be reaching when discussing songs that shook "the world"....

But anyway! Let's start with a really obvious one:

[​IMG]

Tiffany was right, I feel like this song right here was our first true love story with K-Pop. Can you believe SM almost made the mistake to release Dancing Queen instead of this?????

While it isn't the best example of a song that pushes genre boundaries and does something completely new which is a common occurrence when discussing the best of K-pop, this song certainly was groundbreaking and really spread K-Pop across the world. It really was lightening in a bottle for E-tribe because I don't think they've been able to top or even match this perfectly crafted pop song. It's just hook after hook, pure euphoria, and such fun to sing along to. They really did that!

I would love if you guys gave some explanation behind your choices, so post away!

2. R92

R92

3. Let me stan for my deceased faves a bit.

No, but seriously, this song just doesn't let up.

4. _hazzie_, R92 and send photo like this.
  5. R92

R92

6. This song was actually everywhere.

That video. They did thaT.

_hazzie_, Deja-Boo, Aries and 3 others like this.
  7. f(x) are the queens of reminding me why I love K-Pop

The bizarre wisdom teeth metaphors? The funky guitar? The layering of their vocals in the first prechorus? The humming during the bridge? All those harmonies? Legendary.

I don't even need to say anything here. The chorus still has me shook.

8. I can never see them topping Red Light. An actual earth dominating, pussy bruising, stan card laminating musical moment. And the fact that the lyrics and video were a huge 'fuck you' to the Korean government after they tried to deny culpability in the sinking of the MV Sewol. 'Cause when your song is this good you can afford to get a little po·lit·i·cal.

RUNAWAY, PopZeitgeist and McQueer like this.

9. Orange Caramel in general really but who else in 2014 came out with a legitimately disco, punjab wedding song sampling sushi barnstormer that was both fun/light-hearted and sophisticated/polished? The MV is also one of K-Pop's bizarre & kitsch masterpieces (thank you Digipedi!)

10. I don't care for Red Light oops

Seger, junglefish and Mikl C like this.

11. I kneeeeew you'd do this.

And i think this one is iconic enough :

Aries, Overdose, Mikl C and 1 other person like this.
  12. Gee, Sorry Sorry, Nobody, Fire, Abracadabra all fit this for me. (Gangnam unnie Style too I guess.)

Alouder98 and Slice of Life like this.

13. No but for real, I'd add these :

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  14. Global Pop(e)

15. Dddddd @junglefish you messy binch.

Okay let me present my perfect questionable taste.

I know, I know. Abracadabra is BEG's most iconic hit but that doesn't make Sixth Sense any less amazing. This was the first BEG song and video and until now my scalp still hurts. They truly did that.

Sistar was propelled to dizzying heights of fame because of this. And I will never forget how many copycats it had.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw this. Is this really the Wonder Girls' sister group? Why are they so much more mature? I can't. I loved them ever since then.

I love Sweetune's work with KARA and Nine Muses but this right here is his/their magnum opus.

Still Secret's most recognizable hit and one of the few aegyo-filled songs that is truly great.

That's it for now.

Overdose, McQueer and Deja-Boo like this.
  16. Everyone thought they were over that time.
    And then they came back as a four-piece with this masterpiece.

17. Where were your scores?

junglefish and Slice of Life like this.