K-Popjustice Charts - December 2017 Edition - COMPLETE RESULTS | Page 9 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-Popjustice Charts - December 2017 Edition - COMPLETE RESULTS

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, Dec 17, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

I fucking hate y'all.

Serg., eliminathan, RUNAWAY and 9 others like this.
  2. LET'S CONTINUE, SHALL WE?
    TOP 10 TIME~

[​IMG]

DAY AND NIGHT
    Taemin
    from the Move-ing repackage album
    SM Entertainment

27 points

Last Month's Position: N/A
    Peak Position: 10
    Months on Chart: 1

VOTERS:
    10 - @eccentricsimply
    6 - @Squashua, @karmarisma
    5 - @eliminathan

Taemin proves to be quite the KPJ favourite huh.

Day and Night, the follow-up single to the still amazing Move, debuts on our song chart. And for a ~non-bop~, a number 10 placement is already a big deal. Good job, Taemints!

This is rather chill. I don't think it's nowhere near as amazing as Move but it's sufficient. I mean, Move is easily the best male solo single of 2017 so Day and Night had no chance, really. But it is still a stellar track. It reminds me of Gain's jazzy b-sides. The guitar work compliments Taemin's clean vocals perfectly.

The music video is like a fashion film for Ceci or High Cut magazine. It reminded me of this:

Your comments!

eliminathan: Another great song by Taemin this year, he was really on the ball. You worked hard Taemin!

karmarisma: Nice little breezy guitar number. I love Taemin

Squashua: Such a 180 from MOVE i can't, and yet I can because it's so lush and perfectly wintery. Don't @ me but the really jazzy strings and the acoustic guitars, as if you're in a little bistro on a cold January morning, are kinda what I wish GFriend's Summer Rain had been like. (SOL: Uh oh, @junglefish unnie are you reading this?)

eccentricsimply: Taemin has always been pretty insecure about the parts where he claims to be lacking. One of them is his songwriting skills - he always said Jonghyun was the storyteller of the group and that Jinki rose to the occasion, but that he wasn't up to their level or even close due to this difficulty with writing down his thoughts and feelings. However, after SM offered him a repackage but wanted I'm Crying to be the title track, he took it upon himself to write a song he'd be proud of singing, and he did really well at it. It has the same type of poetical intonation that paints his other songs, and it gives us a glimpse of what Taemin could do if he invested more in this side of being an artist. This is miles different from Move or really anything he's released before, and it showcases his versatility without making it look like he's a faceless artist. A true gem, indeed. (SOL: Kween of Taemin-induced Essays!)

3. 9

[​IMG]

DELUSION
    feat. Lee Hyori
    Uhm Jung Hwa
    from the The Cloud Dream of the Nine - The Second Dream mini album
    Mystic89 Entertainment

29 points

Peak Position: 9

VOTERS:
    7 - @ohnostalgia
    6 - @He, @junglefish
    5 - @ryan_riot92, @ThighHighs

The second highest ranking album track this month belong to two K-Pop Kweens - Uhm Jung Hwa and Lee Hyori.

Am I pressed that this didn't get a music video?

[​IMG]

But enough complaints. This is such a perfect opening track. The production is batshit bonkers which is always amazing to these ears. Seriously, K-Pop is already known for it's totally no-rules treatment of music but Delusion somehow takes that approach up a notch or five. And that chorus...

Why does it remind me of an OST of a Korean drama about an unassuming mother of two who's about to kill her unfaithful husband while he's in bed with his mistress? Iconique.

Your comments!

ThighHighs: This sounds like a long-lost Annie album track, which means it's obviously AMAZING.

ryan_riot92: Not one but two legends collaborating on one flawless track?? Like are you kidding me???? Their vocals together are quite glorious and mix fantastically. The track itself is filled to the brim with intriguing yet slightly quirky notes and sounds on top of a drum-line beat. It’s really amazing! (SOL: Yathhhhhh she gets it!)

Serg., RUNAWAY, ryan_riot92 and 8 others like this.
  4. 8

[​IMG]

UNIVERSE
    EXO
    from the Universe mini album
    SM Entertainment

31 points

Peak Position: 8

VOTERS:
    9 - @Serg.
    7 - @Squashua, @Ceir
    4 - @Cotton Park, @Slice of Life

And the highest charting male single of this edition of the KPJC is Universe by EXO! Congrats, babes!

Honestly, I feel bad for those measly four points now because God, this has taken over my life. THIS IS TOO PRETTY.

Every time the boys wail "I'll search the universe" I wanted to cry. And that bombastic middle 8... LORDT.

D.O and Chen once again display their vocal prowess. Chen oppa even serves lqqk after lqqk. Even I have to admit Bacon also sounds stellar here. Kai and Sehun continue being cute distractions. Why do I stan EXO's slower numbers so much? Ugh.

Your comments!

Ceir: G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S. (SOL: Thanks xoxo)

It honestly started a bit slow for my taste, but I had to keep listening for Chen’s and DO’s voices. THEN, the guitars kicked in and I about died.

Cotton Park: wow

Squashua: This is gorgeous beyond believe. The vocals, the solemnity, the heartfelt warble of that one english line in the chorus. Added points too for having a literal beige tone colour scheme for the video and yet it still being glorious to look at. Coffee never looked so tasteful and yet melancholy. (SOL: DDDDDD SCREAMING! Beigeness always wins!)

5. Last result for tonight!

[​IMG]

GIRL'S TALK
    Chuu x Yves
    from the Chuu single album
    BlockBerryCreative

34 points

Peak Position: 7

VOTERS:
    7 - @He, @digitalkaiser
    6 - @ohnostalgia
    4 - @junglefish
    3 - @Kuhleezi, @eliminathan
    2 - @Squashua, @BEST FICTION

Okay, I'm on board the LOOΠΔ 3/3 train. This is so... lush.

Girl's Talk is the b-side to Chuu's solo single, Heart Attack. I'm not gonna reveal my feelings for Heart Attack just yet but I can confirm that I am in love with Girl's Talk. I'm a production binch (in case that ain't obvious yet dddd) so I'm naturally in love with that smooth af production. The beginning, especially, hits the sweet spot.

I know Yves and Chuu are really capable vocalists so I am just *very very very* slightly disappointed we didn't hear some vocal gymnastics here. Kii.

Oh, and Girl's Talk reminds me of a more subdued version of this bop from Brown Eyed Girls.

Your comments!

BEST FICTION: If LOONA 3/3 sounds like this, I'm ready to stan. Odd Eye CirclR who??

Squashua: Girl's bop, Girl's bop yeaaaahhhh. Seriously top-notch pulsator of a banger from the Odd Fruit Sapphic ladies. I heard a cobbled together mashup between this and f(x)'s 4 Walls and now I just want a LDN Noise x LOONA song - @Ceir might implode if that comes about.

eliminathan: I was a bit let down by Heart attack only because the last 5 solo LoonA releases were so good (sorry Yeojin). This song more than makes up for it though.

Kuhleezi: I can't with LOONA. After Chuu slightly disappoints me with the single, of course she would go and release the best B-side thus far. I CAN'T! (SOL: Are you okay, unnie? Blink if you're having a stroke.)

6. I want it to come down to Loona vs Loona for Top 2.

Slice of Life likes this.
  7. He

He

I think Uhm Jung Hwa has it in the bag, rightfully.

8. And it will be the most boring winner in KPJ history.

*runs*

Slice of Life likes this.
  9. He

He

Eliminate ha ballot for slander, @Slice of Life.

10. Considering none of my songs have charted so far and only one of my albums charted (at #10), it won't make a difference kii.

Slice of Life, Kuhleezi and He like this.
  11. @Squashua just made me want a collaboration I hadn’t even thought about.

I hate you.

RUNAWAY, Slice of Life and Squashua like this.
  12. OUR TOP 3 WILL BE REVEALED TONIGHT BUT FIRST...

[​IMG]

JAZZCLUB
    BoA
    from a yet to be released Japanese album ddddd
    SM Entertainment / Avex Trax

39 points

Peak Position: 6

VOTERS:
    8 - @send photo, @Cotton Park
    5 - @Kuhleezi, @Ceir, @Serg., @Slice of Life
    3 - @ryan_riot92

And Kween of Pop BoA just missed the top 5 with her latest single, the bawp-tastic Jazzclub.

This is so fun! It is of course very jazzy which is not exactly my favourite genre but Kween made me like it somehow. I think the chorus is particularly stellar. I didn't love this at first though. I thought it was a little... uninspired. Like, I was sure I heard this song before kii. But I was obviously won over by Kween. I'd say the fabulous choreography helped me warm up to the song.

The music video - the beginning scene, especially - makes me scream somehow??? Like, who the fuck calls their ex just to say they have gotten married already??? Like, I did not ask for information??? Delete it. Poor BoA.

Your comments!

Ceir: This jazzy club bop, though. I didn’t even realize this was coming out! (SOL: I don't think anyone knew about this release, unnie ddddd.)

ryan_riot92: That intro in the video was kind of awkward but the song is an absolute knock-out!! You would think with a name like Jazzclub, the song would be a bit more down-tempo … but binch we know bettah. Everything about this song from the sax to the scat is fabulous. I’m stoked for this upcoming album!

ohnostalgia, RUNAWAY, Ceir and 8 others like this.
  13. Are y'all ready for a surprise result?

[​IMG]

HEART SHAKER
    Twice
    from the Merry & Happy repackage album
    JYP Entertainment

74 points

Peak Position: 5

VOTERS:
    10 - @Aries, @Serg.
    9 - @junglefish, @BEST FICTION
    7 - @Cotton Park, @ryan_riot92, @eccentricsimply
    6 - @Slice of Life
    4 - @Squashua, @eliminathan
    1 - @ThighHighs

Oh wow. I did not expect this to miss the top 3. What happened???

Heart Shaker is Twice's latest Gaon chart-topper and I'm actually really loving this???

This is no Likey, that's for sure, but Heart Shaker is also such a strong release. I can't remember which one of y'all said it but yeah, this does sound like a Laboum song which is amazing to me [EDIT: IT WAS SQUASHUA UNNIE]. At first, only the chorus grabbed my attention but upon further listens, the verses clicked with me as well.

YOU CAN DO IT. LOVE IS TIMING.

[​IMG]

The music video, in usual Twice fashion, is really good as well. Twice does the fun, girl-next-door concept so well.

And yes, Sana is gay, Nayeon. We been knew.

Your comments!

Squashua: Is Sana Gay? And which Sana are we even talking about? Welcome to JYP's Idol Clone Submarine-meets-Supermarket Factory where we play Laboum tracks through the tannoy system and the Twice gals just trash everything whilst doing that weird hobbit walk dance around the floor. You know what? I'm here for that as a concept.

ThighHighs: Meh, this one isn't very good, but the chorus is cute and fun. I worship at Sana's altar.

eliminathan: A great song but Nayeon having the whole chorus and shrieking the entire way through is a bit grating. Her voice is fine when its countered by Jihyo in other songs. (SOL: NOOOOO I LOVE NAYEON'S CHORUS OMG.)

ryan_riot92: As if we didn’t have enough TWICE this year, they had the audacity to release YET ANOTHER anthem that we all can bop to! It has a but of this university vibe that Knock Knock had with a lovely bubble-gum pop tone. Not to mention we get another amazing amazing dance routine. These girls can do no wrong. They just … need a break. I kind of fear these girls are being rung dry by JYP at this point. (SOL: Ddddddddddd and then they just released Candy Pop.)

eccentricsimply: I was entirely unimpressed with this at first, but then I gave it another shot and I was absolutely hooked, especially with the "is Sana gay?" chorus. People underestimate Twice a lot, I feel. They constantly deliver songs that are just effortlessly light and sometimes there's nothing better for your mental and emotional health to listen to these happy songs that aren't attempting to be more than just sheer entertainment. (SOL: YATHHHHH THIS IS SO TRUE. A true pick-me-up anthem.)

BEST FICTION: It's not my favourite Twice song, but I have a reputation to uphold. (SOL: That Taylor Swift promo just won't let up.)

Aries: I feel this is underrated which is a shame but understandable given how much they've released this year. I think it may be one of my favourites because it is such a sweet, earnest track and it never fails to make me smile and sing along. (SOL: YATH.)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    ohnostalgia, Ceir, Serg. and 9 others like this.

14. I'm sorry, unnie.

[​IMG]

NEW
    Yves
    from the Yves single album
    BlockBerryCreative

80 points

Last Month's Position: 4
    Peak Position: 4
    Months on Chart: 2

VOTERS:
    10 - @Kuhleezi, @ThighHighs
    9 - @Alouder98, @Aries
    8 - @Sanctuary, @junglefish
    7 - @karmarisma, @Overdose
    5 - @D is for Danger!
    4 - @digitalkaiser
    2 - @Serg.
    1 - @Monkey0

Guess who snatched another top 4 placement? It's the new LOOΠΔ HBIC, Yves.

Alright, alright, I concede. This has grown on me so much and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stan this all out next month ddddd.

I think the reason why New took time to grow on me is because it wasn't OEC-sounding. It was probably hard for me to let go of my precious OEC girls. Forgive me, unnies. I'm emotional like that kii. But now, I have seen the light. I still don't stan this as much as y'all but I can definitely see why y'all are stanning this.

Your comments!

Monkey0: My Christmas gift to all those suffering from LOONA syndrome, I see your struggle and I admirer the conviction. (SOL: THE SCREAM I LET OUT! MESS!!!)

D is for Danger!: There's something sinister about those synths that I love. I didn't connect to it as quickly as with OEC, but it's definitely up there in quality.

karmarisma: is karmarisma finally opening her heart to Loona. It took till the 9th girl to completely crack my heart open with this mellow 80s-90s bop. I've been waiting for this all my life (SOL: It's never too late to join Team Talent, unnie.)

ThighHighs: I can't remember if I gave this any points last month, but I think I submitted too early to give Yvesus Christ her flowers, so here she goes. And I thought THIS was as sapphic as LOONA was going to get.

Overdose: Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show-stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before, unafraid to reference or not reference, binch you know the rest. YVES DID THAT!

ohnostalgia, RUNAWAY, Ceir and 9 others like this.
  15. [​IMG]

Ceir, Serg., Mikl C and 7 others like this.
  16. It's an all-female, all-solo artist top 3!

I think this is the first time this happened?

FINALE #SOON.

CHUU

UHM JUNG HWA

HYUNA

Place your bets!

Goodnight! x

17. I'm a flop. I'm so sorry. <3

18. Poor Yves Saint Laurent can't even get a Top 3 placement. Truly Kimberly's most deserving heiress.

19. I got married.

20. My condolences. ♡