Kelly Clarkson - Meaning of Life | Page 64 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kelly Clarkson - Meaning of Life

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by xOJakeXo, Jun 25, 2016.

1. I don't think it's even in the charts in most places.

It seems like everybody these days is flopping, though so I really don't mind. It seems that in the streaming era unless you're Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, a DJ or rapper then you're pretty much doomed.

GimmeWork, Sprockrooster and Txetxu like this.
  2. Even AC and stuff ignores it in the US?

And I think while not smashing most female popstars who released this year did at least ok with the lead?

3. 'LOL'

Mikal and GRMusic like this.
  4. Her chart positions aren't that dire. Love So Soft is at #43 on iTunes in the US, and on radio it's at #25 on pop and #11 on HAC. The peak so far on the Hot 100 is #62.

Rem, ohnostalgia, GimmeWork and 10 others like this.
  5. I don't think her or her label are expecting this to be a "singles" album but more of a complete work that showcases Kelly. I think they know this isn't going to be some massive hit, but they are proud of the album.

Florencia., AshleyKerwin and GRMusic like this.
  6. Alicia Keys missed the top 100, Katy Perry's last two singles missed the top 40, Lady GaGa's last single went in at #39, Ke$ha went in at #22, Pink at #26, Fifth Harmony missed the top 100....and then on the male front Usher missed the top 100 a couple of times lately, so did Nick Jonas, Macklemore missed the top 40, Zayn is struggling etc

It's not like it was back in the download age where big names and established artists were guaranteed to go top ten with their lead singles. In the streaming age it's basically a success if an artist can go top 40 with their comeback. It's the same in the UK with people celebrating Paloma Faith going top 40 as if it was a huge deal when just a few years ago she went top ten with ease. It's hard to even tell if an album is a hit or not because streaming individual tracks can count towards the sale of the overall album (which is bizarre).

londonrain likes this.
  7. It's 2017

Jonathan27, Rem, ohnostalgia and 8 others like this.
  8. RJF

RJF

Meh. A good voice singing a shit song is still going to make it a shit song. Ain't nobody finding a single damn thing salvageable in "Invincible" because she's singing the crap out of it.

Vasilios and GRMusic like this.
  9. Also worth mentioning she had a very nice Top 40 update today. We'll see in the days ahead if that was a fluke or not.

And unrelated, but a new cover:
    [​IMG]

SMG, Rem, ohnostalgia and 9 others like this.
  11. Alicia's lead wasn't exactly made for radio. Katy took a step back quality wise from her lead single, which was a decent hit. The Cure did way better on sales and radio than its position suggests, it just didn't all happen at the same time. Kesha and Pink's singles were both big sales hits and have also done well at radio. Fifth Harmony's single wasn't good enough.

These things aren't down to chance and it's no anti pop girl bias. If you think songs like The Cure and Praying weren't big hits it's your idea of a big hit that's skewed. Actual Hot 100 peak means far less than it used to in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway all of this is a silly discussion when the simple reason Love So Soft hasn't done well enough so far is that it's just not good enough for a lead single.

Sprockrooster and Vasilios like this.
  12. She's really feeling this pose for this era huh

Mr.Arroz, Rem, ohnostalgia and 19 others like this.
  13. RJF

RJF

dd I was going to say this earlier. I feel like it's basically been the same photo every single time.

Rem, GimmeWork, -tastic and 7 others like this.
  14. She's feeling her oats, let her feel her oats!

Mr.Arroz, Rem, ohnostalgia and 11 others like this.
  15. She’s embracing the fact she doesn’t have that awful shaved side anyway. Let her whip her weave in peace.

Rem, AlmostFamous, Rob and 5 others like this.
  16. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

I keep reading this over and over and I feel this odd sense of comfort and maybe also a tiny bit of sadness? Well done. I don't know if you feel the same about this, but I think that's why I feel so overly attached to Catch My Breath and Piece by Piece (the song), because there's that emotional, personal, soulful component that I don't really hear/feel anymore when I listen to anything after My December.

Even Stronger kinda leaves me a little cold nowadays, which sucks because I love it so much and I still think it's a bulletproof pop album. I don't know, it's just the weirdest thing to feel a little disconnected from your fave while also anticipating a new album, and I've been trying to figure out why (other than Piece by Piece fucking me all the way up and shaking my faith in her) and your post nailed it.

17. I hope she has a few decent tracks up her sleeve as the first single from this album (and the other release) don't have my hyped at all.

18. RJF

RJF

I actually think Stronger is the perfect example of the rut she's in now, where it appeared to be an album built fully on compromise. I think there are great tracks on it, but even then the lyrical subject matter plays in very broad, general terms. In hindsight, it was basically All I Ever Wanted from a slightly more mature perspective, full of retreads of previous glories.

I don't know. It's possible this album will surprise me and it'll be her most fulfilling in years, but I also feel like she's kind of been making legacy act albums for half her career now and she seems more comfortable than ever, so why bother?

19. I'm sure its not really anyones intention to suggest this, but Kelly has said a lot lately that she feels she compromised well and always gave a 100%, so the idea that all her music except one album is soulless and devoid of emotion is a bit insulting. And she still writes on all her albums and wrote on songs she didn't take credit for, though I'm not sure why her having writing credits mean much to anyone. She's always said she's happy to sing songs other people write. Kelly not only singing songs she wrote has nothing to do with her drama with RCA. She's now the happiest she's ever been and doing exactly what she wants musically and she still only wrote 4 songs on this album.

I don't know. I've said this a lot and its not popular and thats fine, but I think people are deeply seduced by the drama surrounding My December more than anything else. It is not musically or lyrically all that different from the album before or it or the albums after it. Yet somehow it just has so much more emotion than the others? Why? Is it so much more soulful because of the music or because its hard to separate it from the battle over it? I think its the latter, but to each their own. Its a good album, but so are the others.

20. RJF

RJF

I mean, I'm past the age of thinking that angst immediately elevates things and I don't like My December because it's loaded with her own writing credits. I don't really care who is writing Kelly's albums, so maybe my problem is more down to her own taste level these days more than anything. Generally I feel My December explored a bigger range of emotion more eloquently than most of her other albums.

I don't think pointing out that the whole drama maybe killed her drive is being unfair though. She's been vocal over the years about her troubles, especially around that time, and honestly, I think she just wants an easy life at this point. Which is more than justified... it just doesn't maybe make for the most compelling artist to follow. I feel like her last three albums could have been released in any order and the tracking of artistry would be the same. So maybe my problem isn't with the actual material and more with the fact I feel it's got a bit stagnent over the years.