Kraftwerk Discussion Thread | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kraftwerk Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Omar God, Nov 28, 2013.

1. No Kraftwerk thread on here? (unless I missed it).

Had Radio-Activity on my ipod yesterday. I just adore this album, every time I listen to it I'm completely spellbound by it. I think to myself, I wonder how I'd reacted to this album on it release, or more to the point, how other people reacted. I'm sure hearing those creepy, distant, vocoded messages would have absolutely terrified me as a kid.
    Now, it just sounds so antiquated (you can almost hear the bellows of the synths cranking out their sounds), yet so otherworldly. Some people say it has a folk inclination - I kind of agree but not sure if they're referring to the compositions or the lo-fi technology and it's often described as one of the most melancholic albums ever made, which I totally agree with.

But anyway, here's my favourite track from the album -

[video=youtube;OnlzU_7M3GA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnlzU_7M3GA[/video]

2. They can't be praised enough in my opinion. I didn't really know much about Kraftwerk until the mid 90s and when I started listening there were so many parts or sounds that I recognised from being sampled and used on late 80s/early 90s dance tracks that I loved. I wish I could have been around to hear their albums when first released, it must have been mindbending!

3. Gods. Trans Europe Express is my fave.

4. Kraftwerk are beyond criticism for me. Yes they lost their way in the 80s a bit, but by then they'd done more than enough to earn a place as musical pioneers.

Favourite album for me is also Trans Europe Express. Man Machine close behind.

The Mix was rather good, but Tour De France Soundtracks was not.

5. Maleström

Maleström Guest

Autobahn for me, thank you very much.
    By some weird coincidences I didn't get to see them live until last summer, 20.000 pairs of 3D glasses distributed among the audience 'n' all.

Funnily enough, when they were releasing the bulk of their later work, the teenage me thought the music was kinda boring... Pah, kids! What did we know?

6. I kick myself almost weekly for not buying Catalog when it came out. 64.99 and it could have been mine. Now the damn thing's twice that, or more.

7. Gotta say, I enjoyed Tour De France Soundtracks far more than Electric Cafe, though they both would come near the bottom of my Kraftwerk favourite albums list. And for some reason, I actually prefer listening to the German versions of their albums rather than the English.

Just out of interest, does anyone know if you can get hold of live recordings of their recent concerts?

8. Yep, I missed that one too. I console myself with the fact that they messed up the remastering of Radio-Activity (apparently).

9. The Catalogue Retrospective is scheduled to be part of PopMarket's Black Friday sale.

I'm not sure how much of a discount there will be or if it is even worth it for UK shoppers since it will be shipped from the US (and import duties may be applied).

10. ^ I've heard that by the time import duties and shipping are included, it's often cheaper to buy from the UK in the first place.

11. Why don't they release some kind of rarities compilation ?

The Catalogue is amazing (except for the Electric Café tracklist change). I bought the english box. And later the german single discs.

Favourite : Computerworld. But I must say that I love every single album, Tour de France Soundtrack and Electric Café as well. The one and only Kraftwerk release / track that I don't like is Expo 2000.

12. Slightly off topic : has anybody heard the recent Karl Bartos album ? Is it any good ? Is it better than his Electric Music first album (which I did not like) ?

13. Wasn't this his first solo album?

[​IMG]

I remember it came out roughly the same time as TDF Soundtracks in 2003, and I much preferred it!

14. I've just never been able to get into Bartos' solo stuff.

15. That is the the first Karl Bartos solo album under his own name, but actually his third solo outing. The first, Esperanto, as Elektric Music is fantastic (TV especially), but the second one, Electric Music, is abysmal. It's almost Britpoppy in style, which is just so wrong. Wolfgang Flur's Yamo album, Time Pie, on the other hand is, in my opinion, easily the best of the related Kraftwerk material.

Radio-Aktivitat is my favourite Kraftwerk album though. It's such a warm sounding record for an electronic album. They can really do no wrong for me though.

Oh, and Omar God, Ebay is usually awash with live bootleg CDs for Kraftwerk. I have quite a few myself already (mainly the earlier shows), but I'd check there.

16. Bartos did 2 Electric Music albums in the 90's, the first being called Esperanto : I've not listened to it since then, but i thought it was not good at all.

Maybe I'll try his first solo (but being better than Tour de France Soundtracks will be verrrrrrrrry hard).

Edit : nnumb was faster.

Maybe I should re-try Esperanto, then. But you really make me want to listen to W. Flur's album, thanks.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  17. Oh, I never knew about those two 90s Bartos records. Just as well, by the sounds of it!

18. I like his album Communication album but his latest wasn't good. Almost a parody.

19. hen

Thanks ! I think i'll pass, then (at least for now).

20. Maleström

Maleström Guest

So... who else saw Kraftwerk live and when? Even multiple times? Did the shows vary much?

I'm asking mainly because without the 3D visuals of my sole live experience last summer it might not have been all that engaging watching three motionless mannequins on stage, with music and vocals almost sounding like pre-recorded.

Of course, the whole robot experience is Kraftwerk's thing, so they're wise to create some extra points of interest visually. But it can be a challenge, I guess.