Lana Del Rey - Lust For Life | Page 408 | The Popjustice Forum
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lana Del Rey - Lust For Life

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Seriously, give me Bleak To Bleak.

2. rdp

rdp

IIRC she also directed the original 'Ultraviolence' video which turned into footage for the Music To Watch Boys To and Freak videos, right? And I guess all her homemade videos count as self-directed too...

3. I always thought Neil Krug directed the original “Ultraviolence” video and Chuck just did the new footage of her in the garden for “Music To Watch Boys To”

4. rdp

rdp

I remember that Nabil Elderkin was originally rumored to have directed it (he's even in some set photos with her) but then he replied to fans saying that he just helped her direct it herself ... I guess Neil Krug probably also helped in some way? Google tells me that Kinga Bruza did the rest of the Music To Watch Boys To video.

Anyway she probably does have some sort of experience in directing professional music videos.

5. Her subtle brand of ‘anti-feminism’ suddenly feels out of Vogue, set against the background of recent Hollywood Sexual Harassment Exposes.

6. If it’s been covered, forgive me.

7. He

He

She's actually addressed this. She's stopped singing some songs, even.

But her perspective isn't anti-femenist, it's that one of a very particular woman / character and everything it encompasses.

8. Yeah she took out "He hit me and it felt like a kiss" from Ultraviolence - which I felt was a shame. I think her audience are intelligent enough to understand the characters and references within her songs.

Heaven on Earth, Rem, Ferk and 7 others like this.
  9. The "Lana and feminism" argument is so tired at this point, especially with the 'awakening' of feminism that she seems to have had recently.

Ferk, lanadelreystan and sugarcoma like this.
  10. He

He

The thing is that she's never said: women should act this way. You can read the woman (women?) in her lyrics as a manifestation of toxic love; and she should be allowed to feel that way, or any way.

11. BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

12. Yeah, no, her fans would have thinkpieces already half written by the time she finishes saying the word "kiss".

Ferk likes this.
  13. Character or not, that line is just not the tea. I'm glad she dropped it, it romanticises abusive relationships.

14. This line of thinking is sooooo myopic and tiresome. As if the content of the song (not to mention Lana's entire Ultraviolence-era persona!) is meant to be instructive in any way. I mean, look at the fucking album cover. Does she look happy? Do you think the lyrics are a recipe for happy living?

15. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Moderator

It’s a shame that Lana seems to take a huge hit of this discourse when it’s practically recording artist lesson 1 that the best songs are written about relatable, depressing situations and moments that people can sing along to and find some sort of empowerment from. I get why she comes under fire more than most, but it’s not like she’s out there promoting her records and making any sort of grand statements about her artistic intentions or playing games with Jimmy Fallon and getting America’s impressionable teens hooked on Lolita cosplay. She writes, records, releases, tours and doesn’t really play the promo game so to me it feels a bit heavy handed to go in on her when it’s largely over things she’s written about as a songwriter rather than as herself.

lanadelreystan likes this.
  16. If you haven't already, y'all should perhaps listen to the song that birthed that line. It was actually written by Carole King and her husband Gerry Goffin about Little Eva, a pop singer known for Keep Your Hands Off My Baby, who had the unique distinction of being their babysitter. Though dark, horrific, and unsettling, the flourishing strings and the genteel vocal phrasing create an accurately sinister portrayal of the foolish, romanticized bliss some victims take with their abusers. It is not, by any means, a "pleasurable" experience (even Carole King recently denounced it), yet it remains a masterful recording and one of the few times Pop challenged its audience so heavily.

17. Am I missing something? Lana addressed the "she's not feminist" comments months ago?

lanadelreystan likes this.
  18. But @Joanie didn't apparently.

lanadelreystan and Ferk like this.
  19. When I listen to a song, by anyone, I feel a sense of empathy with what the artist is singing about & take comfort from lyrics and relate that experience to my own thus building the foundations of a connection to that artist on a visceral level.

I don’t believe she is singing about things she has not lived or experienced for the sake of filling an instrumental passage. On a moral level I don’t believe her lyrics are written from fake experience. I am genuinely shocked that anyone would suggest her lyrics are not something that stem from an actual lived experience or directly from the heart. The persona of a songwriter is one concept (the artifice of a plastic identity is another & is unpalatable).

mseilenga and Solenciennes like this.